Cold Weather gear

Kingcantsing

So today in Johannesburg it was absolutely freezing and it was certainly an indicator of things to come.

I need suggestions of great cold weather gear, that is affordable.

Specifically, I need new cold weather gloves.

post-90014-1462119267,4074.jpg

Best piece of kit I bought

6am in the Spruit today and I was warm and toasty after 5mins

If you are a commuter the polypropylene layer will be a better option, in frond of the office fan it will dry quick and will be ready for your home trip.

Merino if you are a "once a day" cyclist.

So today in Johannesburg it was absolutely freezing and it was certainly an indicator of things to come.

I need suggestions of great cold weather gear, that is affordable.

This :w00t:

http://static.jensonusa.com/images/Default-Image/Zoom/2/TR277A01.jpg

If you are a commuter the polypropylene layer will be a better option, in frond of the office fan it will dry quick and will be ready for your home trip.

Merino if you are a "once a day" cyclist

My apologies, I wasn't thinking of riding to work in an office. Merino has the advantage that you can ride in it for days without it stinking, plastic not.

Get yourself a fleece "bib", not bibshorts. Literally like a baby bib. Keeps the chill off your chest and if it warms up, you can pull it out and pop in your pocket easy peasy.

My apologies, I wasn't thinking of riding to work in an office. Merino has the advantage that you can ride in it for days without it stinking, plastic not.

This is really the truth.  Some of the best kit I have  5 days (and nights) and you still can make friends in the pub.

OK, I see the OP is up in Gauteng with its summer rainfall. I was thinking of the Cape winter rainfall when I made my statement. Sincere apologies.      

Was wondering the same thing and bought me a pair of First Ascent arm warmers just to start with as it is not that cold yet.

What would be good gloves to ride with in the winter? I usually ride with short gloves, but my fingers were freezing the other day when I went for a morning ride.

Being in GP in winter means most early morning can be cold but by mid-morning it's warmer.

Multiple layers on the body (vest, shirt, gilet with some newspaper on the chest), and removable thermal sleeves for the arms and legs. A buff over the head/face and throat and long finger gloves should see you through most cold mornings where the temperature hits >15-deg C.

For the days where it stays below 10-deg C, then a jacket should be good enough.

Keep the skin covered and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ja, it was cold in jhb this morning...i was that guy who thought it would warm up quickly and didn't even wear arm warmers for a 6.30am start.  

Anyhoo...Modderfontein was even colder than parkhurst (6degs, per garmin), even some frost about.

Lovely day for a ride, though, Modders was beautiful - even saw some Zebras.

Archived