Maybe time to stop using Strava?

Paul Ruinaard

For most yes. The creative attention seeking ride names are the best. "Mind Clearing Ride - Legs not 100%" "Hoping the flu leaves me in the new year" etc etc

It's the 'Explosive Performance Output' and 'Extremely Persistent Outperformance' rides that you need to pay attention to. It's only once you have saved a motor paced KOM that you really become obnoxious, anyway.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This...

People also comparing distance or time trained and not thinking about quality over quantity and rest vs race.

You also have to question sports watches, when a South African won the toughest single day multisport event this weekend(no not ironman that is not the hardest multisport event sorry to burst your bubble) without a sports watch on at all...

hahahaha Just like Tatum, Robs is one seriously hardcore Hobbit who doesn't use too much data analysis in her training.

So dam proud of the whole SA contingent that went over.

Mocking people for using Strava is more douchey than than posting a ride with a funky name.

Maybe let them be and enjoy Strava how they want to and rather focus that energy on self improvement and becoming less of a dick.

Training Peaks

Excellent app this. You can import all your data and get a good idea on the level of your fitness. I found the fatigue and form function on TP to be pretty accurate for me. PM me if you want some codes for free Premium. 

Strava can be a very useful tool, and that is not only to highlight how "roadie" MTBking has become, or to log the number of stava-holes there are in this world.

I occasionally travel to other countries (meaning the Cape).  As I do not know how safe Mannenberg or Muzenberg is, or where mugging of runners is mandatory, I use strava to find popular routes and segments near the guest house I live.  I then can plan a training route on which I will probably see local runners/cyclists and hopeful be a lot safer then just running up table mountain.

The additional win for me is that I can claim some CR's and push Capetownian guy of the top ten on some of the segments.......(Okay I have a little strava-hole in me too).....

All before a 90 second shower......

Excellent app this. You can import all your data and get a good idea on the level of your fitness. I found the fatigue and form function on TP to be pretty accurate for me. PM me if you want some codes for free Premium.

Thanks. really going to look into Training Peaks

Thanks. really going to look into Training Peaks

We even have a qualified Training Peaks coach in Bloem 

Mocking people for using Strava is more douchey than than posting a ride with a funky name.

Maybe let them be and enjoy Strava how they want to and rather focus that energy on self improvement and becoming less of a ****.

+1, live and let live.

Personally I like seeing where and how other people I know ride every week.

Strava can be a very useful tool, and that is not only to highlight how "roadie" MTBking has become, or to log the number of stava-holes there are in this world.

I occasionally travel to other countries (meaning the Cape).  As I do not know how safe Mannenberg or Muzenberg is, or where mugging of runners is mandatory, I use strava to find popular routes and segments near the guest house I live.  I then can plan a training route on which I will probably see local runners/cyclists and hopeful be a lot safer then just running up table mountain.

The additional win for me is that I can claim some CR's and push Capetownian guy of the top ten on some of the segments.......(Okay I have a little strava-hole in me too).....

All before a 90 second shower......

Current shower KOM is 46 seconds, up your game buddy :)

Maybe let them be and enjoy Strava how they want to and rather focus that energy on self improvement and becoming less of a ****.

Hey listen, I still use strava the exact way I was mocking AND use funky names like 'Mmm... moisture is the essence of wetness' or 'Super chilled saunter with mum'.

If I remember to turn it on I even upload lame pictures of flowers or a dam wall or my bike balancing on a stick or what not.

I am definitely part of the 80% who 'uses' strava to big dick, but at least I'm honest about it and I'm also not very good, so its more like small dicking.

Those days where you threw the kitchen sink at a few climbs and called it 'Easy leg stretcher' to make your friends think you're crazy strong.... the best!

Strava has improved my stalking game no end....... :ph34r: :ph34r:

My new fetish is to hunt out the neighbourhood segments and beat the owner of the CR list....

But on a more serious note, it is normally us bottom feeders that post all our workouts on strava, partly because we are desperate for the affection of other athletes and partly because we could not be bothered with all the tech of privacy.

However,

it is obvious that many top and aspiring athletes are FORBIDDEN by their coaches of posting their workouts on strava.  Partly, because the workout is designed for specific effects which the coach does not want other coaches to plagerise, and partly because the coach would like to keep the athletes progress and race readiness confidential.

This...

People also comparing distance or time trained and not thinking about quality over quantity and rest vs race.

You also have to question sports watches, when a South African won the toughest single day multisport event this weekend(no not ironman that is not the hardest multisport event sorry to burst your bubble) without a sports watch on at all...

Who said IM is the toughest one day multisport event? I don't think anyone here is under that illusion. However, each race will have it's own very difficult portions. 

We should expect top level athletes to be able to race without a sports watch. They train so much that they should be able to know their exact pace without even glancing at their watch. I can now run by feel. Cycling by feel is another questions all together however. But as amateurs, should we really be questioning technology that helps athletes, especially new ones? I just find it odd that people will question technology that makes our lives easier. 

Archived