Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Use paint stripper, apply stripper and cover with a plastic bin liner for a while. much easier process.

As for MDF I have used sanding sealer, just check you can paint on top of it as I have only followed with a varnish.

Edited by RyanD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use paint stripper, apply stripper and cover with a plastic bin liner for a while. much easier process.

Was worried that the stripper would stain the wood. Mate also suggested a heat gun.

I know a guy who makes palettes and all the pieces he can't use he sells off. I got a massive amount of wood for R400

Not all of it can be used and it's a big variety of quality so it depends on what you want to use it for

Where you based? would be keen if this is in Gauteng. Sounds like my kinda wood.

I made one of the "adirondack" style chairs for outside, as well as a 2 seater bench, nothing fancy and certainly not display grade, but more quick and dirty, enough effort that they have lasted >2 years out in the sun and rain and are comfortable, but not enough that i need to worry about putting them indoors of it looks like rain.

Hey Bobbo. it's in CT

Hmmm, "unlike this".....

Lol, maybe next time you speak to them, ask if they know of somewhere in JHB that may do something similar?

Hmmm, "unlike this".....

Lol, maybe next time you speak to them, ask if they know of somewhere in JHB that may do something similar?

I do - will have to find his number for you - basically a guy in his factory that uses the pallets they get for a small sideline business - they make things up for you if you give them a sketch.

I do - will have to find his number for you - basically a guy in his factory that uses the pallets they get for a small sideline business - they make things up for you if you give them a sketch.

Will make a plan to come see you this week, probably bring you some beans to try as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will make a plan to come see you this week, probably bring you some beans to try as well.

cool

Hmmm, "unlike this".....

will ask

Colwyn 083 760 9349

Was born into a wood lover family...

here is one site of interest:

http://woodworking.formeremortals.net/

I am looking at making my own entertainment stand soon.  Just need some money (for wood and rest of the fittings) and time in my father's or uncle's shed.

My uncle fitted closets for a long time, but gave up as most people are willing to make use of your service, but when they need to pay it comes as a matter that needs not to be attended to...

I am looking at using palettes for a day bed in our spare room / study and while these aren't too expensive, what is expensive is the foam. The palettes will cost around R230 but the foam is going to cost around R1300.

Does anyone know a place in CT when I can get foam that isn't expensive. The problem is that it's not a standard size.

Was born into a wood lover family...

here is one site of interest:

http://woodworking.formeremortals.net/

I am looking at making my own entertainment stand soon.  Just need some money (for wood and rest of the fittings) and time in my father's or uncle's shed.

My uncle fitted closets for a long time, but gave up as most people are willing to make use of your service, but when they need to pay it comes as a matter that needs not to be attended to...

this is sadly why lots of businesses in SA close down, very sad

I am looking at using palettes for a day bed in our spare room / study and while these aren't too expensive, what is expensive is the foam. The palettes will cost around R230 but the foam is going to cost around R1300.

Does anyone know a place in CT when I can get foam that isn't expensive. The problem is that it's not a standard size.

Have you tried Kehls?