Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sailed an Argie 10 before and just last week bought plans for the Argie 10 so my boys and I can do something together this winter.

Awesome - that was my plan with mine and then I changed jobs and now am short of energy when it comes to the weekend.  I really need to pick it up again.

A simple little boat like this has to be a bunch of fun to muck about in.

My personal hatred is sanding fibreglass/resin - have the boat tacked together with partial fillets and now need to sand them back and run fillets all around, then tape and resin inside and outside joints.  Maybe this conversation will kick my ass into gear... :)

Have a look on Facebook for James Norman Foot - has just completed a Didi Sport 15' - done a stunning job despite some tribulations. All documented on Fb if you prepared to scroll back a little while.

Oh - Jim's advice for running fillets: get sealable sandwhich bags.  put bag in a tin with opening folded back over the rim.  Fill with fillet gunk, seal, cut corner of bag off, squeeze gunk out into fillet.  If I had done this, I'd not be contemplating so much sanding...

Edited by davetapson

There is quite some talent posted here, good work boys! I went to buy a work bench & did not like the price, so decided to build my own. attachicon.gifDSC02773.jpg

very nice.

I also recently started looking at doing something similar.  Keep us posted on how it works.  It looks way to clean for a work bench!

Sjoe. This thread takes me back to school days. Which was the last time I built anything. Made the usual school stuff mostly pine. Bedside tables, desk. linen kist, etc. But I was pretty chuffed about my final matric project. A coffee table. Spent half the year lathing the short imbuia legs which was reclaimed from a broken bed. Man I loved that smell. Couldn't afford much raw wood and school supplies were pretty limited so I boxed the top out of pine with a glass centre. Staining the pine was a bad idea though I should have just left it clear. Years later I replaced the top with a piece of bamboo butchers block. It was an off cut from my cousins kitchen project. Turned out to be big enough and had it cut to size. The table moved around over the years from house to house and I'm actually trying to think where the hell it could be now. I'm sure its in storage. If I find it I'll post a pic here.

Awesome - that was my plan with mine and then I changed jobs and now am short of energy when it comes to the weekend.  I really need to pick it up again.

A simple little boat like this has to be a bunch of fun to muck about in.

My personal hatred is sanding fibreglass/resin - have the boat tacked together with partial fillets and now need to sand them back and run fillets all around, then tape and resin inside and outside joints.  Maybe this conversation will kick my ass into gear... :)

Have a look on Facebook for James Norman Foot - has just completed a Didi Sport 15' - done a stunning job despite some tribulations. All documented on Fb if you prepared to scroll back a little while.

Oh - Jim's advice for running fillets: get sealable sandwhich bags.  put bag in a tin with opening folded back over the rim.  Fill with fillet gunk, seal, cut corner of bag off, squeeze gunk out into fillet.  If I had done this, I'd not be contemplating so much sanding...

:thumbup: I have a long list of friends that are boat builders, so I have already shamelessly begged for information, tips tricks on promisse of beer.

Keep us updated, I'm going to Durbs the weekend to buy the marine ply, so will kick of proceedings next weekend...will post some pictures on here as we go along

The pool table was been a couple of years back, my final project at school. Dont have the space to make big stuff at the moment.

Have made some pallet couches, large table for outside braai (photo attached), couple of coffee tables, redid our kitchen and bedroom cupboards last year and i am planning a plasma unit as well but the wood prices are killing me.

post-25630-0-56142400-1464093919_thumb.jpg

post-25630-0-19887200-1464094160_thumb.png

Ideal for cleaning up small bits

b793446069efea6431d95143cfa42225.jpg

Older than i am

6c885dc3b44c304457f40115620ad9f4.jpg

Found these while visiting the winter fair at bainsfield.

1a849baf6bdf9d8e3cf175651d232078.jpg

When i need a straight edge for a machine [emoji12]

09b5d68ad33d4c57596bffa833b28706.jpg

Sell me that block plane, I'm sure you'll find one quick again in your neck of the woods :whistling:

The pool table was been a couple of years back, my final project at school. Dont have the space to make big stuff at the moment.

Have made some pallet couches, large table for outside braai (photo attached), couple of coffee tables, redid our kitchen and bedroom cupboards last year and i am planning a plasma unit as well but the wood prices are killing me.

attachicon.giftafel.jpg

That Pool table is magnificent!

post-37969-0-37407300-1464095567_thumb.jpg

Real interesting thread. Lots of talent out there.

Quick question - I have this table, and the top appears to have "warped". It is reclaimed wood, New Zealand pine from my understanding.

Is there a way to repair it, or thin the top down to an acceptable level of straight?.

In the photo, you can see how the top left corner has kicked up.

Or is firewood the next best thing?

My personal hatred is sanding fibreglass/resin

Cover ALL your exposed skin with talcum powder (lots of it) before sanding - then when you are done, go straight into the shower and let the water do the first bit of rinsing before you touch skin with a hand.

And use a proper dust cartridge mask

You won't itch at all (I used to glass and sand surfboards as a kid - was the boss man's trick - and he HATED sanding too...

attachicon.gif28045d.jpg

Quick question - I have this table, and the top appears to have "warped". It is reclaimed wood, New Zealand pine from my understanding.

Is there a way to repair it, or thin the top down to an acceptable level of straight?.

Where are you based?

attachicon.gif28045d.jpg

It sometimes works to wet the thing - not fully soaked - then clamp it the other way. A lot of guys do that with doors and things. It's a bit hit-and-miss. I'd remove the top to do it. However, given the refrectory style of the table, I don't think a slight warp detracts from its character.

Nice thread, even though it's hijacked!

If anyone's interested, I've done full step-by-step breakdowns of some of the stuff I've built primarily with handtools and traditional techniques.

they're at http://brettnetherton.imgur.com/

Good places for old tools: Milnerton market (provided you've done your research about buying old tools) and the Pawn Shop on Voortrekker Road, next to McDonald's. 

A great reference to building things the old way - and an amazing teacher - is Paul Sellers on Youtube.

And some nice woods: just next to Rare Woods in Epping, there's a warehouse where their commercially-unusable stock goes. It's open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, if I remember correctly. Geoffrey is the man to speak to (but do not call him Geoff!)

Bravo to all cycling woodworkers, and woodworking cyclists!

Edited by LeTurbo

It sometimes works to wet the thing - not fully soaked - then clamp it the other way. A lot of guys do that with doors and things. It's a bit hit-and-miss. I'd remove the top to do it. However, given the refrectory style of the table, I don't think a slight warp detracts from its character.

Not going to work.Live with it or replace it

You can straighten wood if it still has an ounce of original moisture in it but if it has been kiln dried and then further air dried and just warped with time it is more likely to crack

When we used to buy our wood we would stack it warp against warp and used friggen heavy blocks of table mountain sand stone to weight them down.Then you have to leave it for ages

Not going to work.Live with it or replace it

You can straighten wood if it still has an ounce of original moisture in it but if it has been kiln dried and then further air dried and just warped with time it is more likely to crack

When we used to buy our wood we would stack it warp against warp and used friggen heavy blocks of table mountain sand stone to weight them down.Then you have to leave it for ages

Mmm, I was just going to edit after a long bath. It maybe warps only in wet or dry weather, which would point to the joinery rather than the wood, yes? A table like that should have breadboard ends, but more often (these days, that I can see) the slats are fixed in place so they fight the construction itself. The top could be remade correctly and then the problems would likely end.