Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

And here we going with the frames again, 2 more Sheppard's houses and all 3 will be finished hopefully before December 2018. The lengths I bought while the boss was overseas is 6.6m, first he [emoji90]ed me out and when we had the ribs on he said that 6.6m is actually going to work better. [emoji849] The 1st one is only 6.0m. 54f92d2df20f6b5400a210a6cb38f376.jpg10bd61c0fe2073aad20a53d3ff09dd51.jpg735017900b16193273b362fe3a43f2ba.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

and I see you hang your bikes vertically :P

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and I see you hang your bikes vertically :P

Haha jip, fork down [emoji23]????

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi there. I purchased this work bench, but it's missing the inserts used for clamping(red arrows). I'm looking for someone willing to turn some for me. I was thinking hardwood inserts that can withstand the clamping. If you think there is another option, please share.post-129156-0-47415300-1531155654_thumb.jpg

Hi there. I purchased this work bench, but it's missing the inserts used for clamping(red arrows). I'm looking for someone willing to turn some for me. I was thinking hardwood inserts that can withstand the clamping. If you think there is another option, please share.attachicon.gif20180709_185035.jpg

Hi Neil. Im not familiar with that particular workbench but are u sure that is for the clamp inserts?Looking at google images it seems the holes are for some kind of height adjustment  dials and the actual clamps slide into the rails

Hi Neil. Im not familiar with that particular workbench but are u sure that is for the clamp inserts?Looking at google images it seems the holes are for some kind of height adjustment  dials and the actual clamps slide into the rails

Neil is right, those are for a few things, but originally for clamping blocks.

B&D and many other companies make these.

Hi there. I purchased this work bench, but it's missing the inserts used for clamping(red arrows). I'm looking for someone willing to turn some for me. I was thinking hardwood inserts that can withstand the clamping. If you think there is another option, please share.attachicon.gif20180709_185035.jpg

Ping PantsBoy, he's your man for this job

Hi Neil. Im not familiar with that particular workbench but are u sure that is for the clamp inserts?Looking at google images it seems the holes are for some kind of height adjustment dials and the actual clamps slide into the rails

Thanks for the reply.

We installed a kitchen for a small church in rural Botswana last week.  Took a full 5 days from constructing the cabinets to final tiling and painting.  I did the cabinets and my friend all the plumbing and tiling.

My initial design had all the floor cabinets against one wall (under the window) with the two tall cabinets next to each other.  But then we realised that the last floor cabinet is behind the outside door so that will not be practical from a work space point of view.  So we swopped one floor and one tall cabinet - that's why the tall cabinet have a white side.  I will cover it with a cherry panel when we go there again.

On the outside we installed a secondhand double bowl sink for dishes.  We also installed an 18L gas geyser (got it cheaply on Gumtree), but we had only c 3.5L per minute, so we had to take it off again...   :blush: .  By installing a bigger valve, we should get up to 7.5L per minute, so we will install a 9 liter Zero Start geyser - that should hopefully work.

We buried a 6 m 110 mm drain pipe with the last 3 m drilled full of holes (we don't want dampness close to the building) - our version of a french drain.  The inlet is covered by a shade cloth "bag" to catch any foodstuffs to prevent the pipe from getting blocked.

At least the stove is working (when the gas bottle is connected - we still need a bracket to lock the bottle to the wall.)

post-50518-0-08925700-1531247395_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-71860400-1531247478_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-40984000-1531247506_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-74112800-1531247534_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-39347500-1531247787_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil, where are you based? ping me at chief@treeware.co.za and we can discuss.

Been off the map for ten days or so, had to get out, clear my head and try and find direction again. I'm still doing some IT support/programming a couple of days a week but it's really taking it's toll now - can barely keep up with two full time jobs but ends aren't being met.

Still haven't figured out the wheretos and the whyfors, but did manage to put the wife and kids into some sushi last week :D Their first (but certainly not last) Yellowfin tunas.

post-29544-0-89774100-1531296255_thumb.jpeg

Also took in some sardine action

post-29544-0-04637400-1531296475_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-83522900-1531296475_thumb.jpeg

And managed to get some sushi myself

post-29544-0-44894700-1531296476_thumb.jpeg

Been back for two days and have been running after quotes that need to go out, machines that broke down whilst I was away, suppliers that didn't supply last week (or supplied the wrong stuff) Will hopefully get to making sawdust again tomorrow morning.

question:

how best to get wood to ebonize pitch black, but with grain still showing? there's burning, staining, ink+oil+stain, there's painting (but not sure of what products are available locally to achieve the effect). Thoughts, experiences?

question:

how best to get wood to ebonize pitch black, but with grain still showing? there's burning, staining, ink+oil+stain, there's painting (but not sure of what products are available locally to achieve the effect). Thoughts, experiences?

From experience in just one product, the Builders ebony stuff seems to do well when mixed with Woodoc 10/20 etc. 

can still see grain, as long as you wet the grain slightly initially. In my experience, at least. 

I'd ask my grandfather, but he doesn't have much experience in ebonising stuff. Kiaat and Walnut are the woods he prefers to work with.