Flippers are a good idea, I have also seen guys using a snorkel that comes out of your mouth and goes up right between your eyes so it doesn't affect your stroke. I assume these let you concentrate on your stroke only.

Edited by @ndy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks a stack, im trying to get the right habbits from the start, but will give it a go. was planning on placing the gopro on tripod at the poolside to see where what i am messing up, to correct progressively :)

will take it easy and just keep trying.

If you swimming in the gym like VA there will be a couple of swim coaches there.  Ask them about lessons so that they do stroke correction and give you the correct technique, they will also give you drills to do to help.  Will be worth the money and not that expensive for 1 lesson a week and the rest of the time you can practice and get comfortable.

Oh and you are never too old, I took up tri last year as a 50yo and got lessons to improve my stroke and speed even though was comfortable swimming in the pool and open water swims like midmar.

See if Embark (www.embark.co.za) is in your area. I know they have "branches" in Gauteng. Athletes of all levels, shapes and sizes there and a lot of knowledge. 

Chaps I purchased a front fitting snorkel and the amount of confidence it gave me is astonishing. I could do 10x laps in the pool without the fear and post swim water swallowing issues. I am so happy and thankful for the advice. I could practice the stroke and see the fitness issues being a non issue since i am now able to swim towards the goal. Ever thankful. Renier

Chaps I purchased a front fitting snorkel and the amount of confidence it gave me is astonishing. I could do 10x laps in the pool without the fear and post swim water swallowing issues. I am so happy and thankful for the advice. I could practice the stroke and see the fitness issues being a non issue since i am now able to swim towards the goal. Ever thankful. Renier

Just don't get too comfortable with this or too reliant on it. What I did was to swim with it for say 5 - 10 min, and then continued without it for the remainder of my sessions. These days I am not using it at all anymore.

Edited by finallygotabike

Just don't get too comfortable with this or too reliant on it. What I did was to swim with it for say 5 - 10 min, and then continued without it for the remainder of my sessions. These days I am not using it at all anymore.

very true, this morning i was able to get a bit of a pace/rhythm going.. so im definitely getting into the swing of things.

was thinking of getting my form correct with it, then slowly get off the snorkel. but shucks it helps alot, at this stage i try breathing on the right place , so once the snorkel is out then i should be in a good position to carry on without. but my fitness is still horrendous, thus gasping for air after 2-3x laps. which wont work without the snorkel at this point :P

I started swimming October last year and was rubbish, could only swim 50 - 75 meters before I had to stop to breathe. The pool at VA Modderfontontien must have dropped half a meter every time I swam there during the week (they haven't called me back to pay for the water difference :) ). Once I got the concept of doing 3 - 4 strokes and breathing out underwater before taking a breathe, I noticed and my speed increase and I was able to swim longer distances without having to stop. I can now swim 2.8 - 3 km in an hour and have been quite happy with the progress. Plan to do the Bela Bela IM swim in 25 minutes... hopefully... 

As you swim more and more the fit aspect will come and you will see distances increase as well as pace.

very true, this morning i was able to get a bit of a pace/rhythm going.. so im definitely getting into the swing of things.

was thinking of getting my form correct with it, then slowly get off the snorkel. but shucks it helps alot, at this stage i try breathing on the right place , so once the snorkel is out then i should be in a good position to carry on without. but my fitness is still horrendous, thus gasping for air after 2-3x laps. which wont work without the snorkel at this point :P

Once you get and feel comfortable in the water, everything else falls in to place.

As for fitness, it generally comes pretty quickly.  Or at least I tell myself that - I started again last night after a 6 month hiatus, and I'm totally broken today.

I started swimming October last year and was rubbish, could only swim 50 - 75 meters before I had to stop to breathe. The pool at VA Modderfontontien must have dropped half a meter every time I swam there during the week (they haven't called me back to pay for the water difference :) ). Once I got the concept of doing 3 - 4 strokes and breathing out underwater before taking a breathe, I noticed and my speed increase and I was able to swim longer distances without having to stop. I can now swim 2.8 - 3 km in an hour and have been quite happy with the progress. Plan to do the Bela Bela IM swim in 25 minutes... hopefully... 

As you swim more and more the fit aspect will come and you will see distances increase as well as pace.

thanks for the inspiration guys, i am sad i only started so late, wouldve loved the bela bela tri. gonna be there to support a friend competing, so we might as well grab a beer afterwards if you are keen!

Can anyone suggest a swim coach in the Pretoria area?

The goal is to get comfortable in the water for open water swimming. Speed is not the main requirement, I just need to be able to swim at a constant rate for an hour or more.

I have been trying to get my technique and breathing sorted on my own by reading and watching videos but it is now time to call in professional help  ;)

There is more than enough time to get 5150 fit by that time.  Remember you just aiming to take part not win the race. I put off a few tri's worrying i wouldnt be fit enough but when it got time to do that first Olympic distance it actually went so well I kicked myself for not jumping in earlier.  Just make sure you have a good training plan. Stick with it, dont skip sessions (if you tired just do a short technique session) 20minutes working on full power stroke on a watt bike is better than 60 minutes rewatching the Finale of Game of Thrones on the couch. Or if you must just do a quick run, stretch, plank session.  Secret is too keep the training constant.

You can do it man.

thanks for the inspiration guys, i am sad i only started so late, wouldve loved the bela bela tri. gonna be there to support a friend competing, so we might as well grab a beer afterwards if you are keen!

You can actually stand up in the bella bella swim, some even walk.  The swim is in the water ski dragline oval, you swim around it just under twice.  Get tired, you can stand and walk a little.  Plenty of time to get swim fit between now and then.  Also as davey says, you will be there to experience and aim to finish.  The run is also flat through the campsite.

Agree with the above. You can use it as a test to see how well you have done and whether you need to change your training plans to accommodate more for a specific discipline. At least that what I'm doing.

If however you aren't going to be able to be ready for Bela Bela and are interested in MTB there is always the RockMan tri on the 4th of December. that was my first tri and it was a really fun one. Only did the sprint last year, but this year I plan to do the full route. The run however has quite a bit of elevation.

The at Bela Bela has a total of 17 m elevation over the 10 km run.

I wanted to do Bela Bela as I heard it was a nice intro for a novice like me but then realised we are away on holiday that time. Then I discovered the 11global event at Sun City in Oct and thought great, I can aim for that only to discover it is the same time as Berg & Bush :(

Hoping I can find another one towards the end of the year in Gauteng.

I wanted to do Bela Bela as I heard it was a nice intro for a novice like me but then realised we are away on holiday that time. Then I discovered the 11global event at Sun City in Oct and thought great, I can aim for that only to discover it is the same time as Berg & Bush :(

Hoping I can find another one towards the end of the year in Gauteng.

Keep an eye on the Trinity Sports website, they usually have a few tri / duathlon events towards the end of the year and early next year.  Events are at Germiston lake

http://trinitysports.co.za/

good advice all round, thanks guys!! i will enter bella bella and get my plan sharpened up :) just trying to avoid overtraining at present.. yikes!!! sommer feel amped about it all.