Hi shaper, not sure yet.  The beginning of the year events (I think EL 70.3) is quite early.  Not sure about that after December leave, so maybe Durban in June.  Hopefully I will be better prepared for the sun city event next year and do the ultra.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any tips to get below 2:00 / 100m swimming pace?  ;)

Also, how long did it take you / how did you get into a relaxed swimming rhythm - swimming faster, yet more comfortably? 

Do swimming sets, ie break down the distance in to 100m/200m/400m

So if you're currently swimming 2:00/100m, do 5 x 100m @ 2:15 - will give you 15 sec rest before starting the next 100m.  

Similarly, do 5x200m @ 4:20 or 4:30 will give you 20-30 secs rest.

Forgot to add, the idea is to do them consistently, so don't go balls to the wall the first one and then the rest of them suffer, you want to swim them all at the same pace.

You can get more ideas here for workouts: http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.co.za/

As for the second point, practice, practice, practice

Edited by Disylizzy

Hi shaper, not sure yet.  The beginning of the year events (I think EL 70.3) is quite early.  Not sure about that after December leave, so maybe Durban in June.  Hopefully I will be better prepared for the sun city event next year and do the ultra.

Durbs is easier than EL fitness wise (much flatter course).  EL is around end of Jan.. good excuse to lay off the food and booze over Christmas. Sun City will be a good test of where you are at if you looking at Durbs.

Even if your swimming is limited, learn to run.. swimming is just the warm up, so can take your time.. the run is where most suffer and loose time!!

Edited by shaper

Durbs is easier than EL fines wise (much flatter course).  EL is around end of Jan.. good excuse to lay off the food and booze over Christmas. Sun City will be a good test of where you are at if you looking at Durbs.

Even if your swimming is limited, learn to run.. swimming is just the warm up, so can take your time.. the run is where most suffer and loose time!!

cool thx again.  Just as long as I can finish the swim, that is a big concern.  I am slowly building up my running miles, and will try and do some brick sessions if time allows to build up some strength.

Dare I ask: which is toughest - comrades or Ironman?

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

Don't know but I've been told that training for an Ironman is harder than training for Comrades?

Edited by Dav/d

Dare I ask: which is toughest - comrades or Ironman?

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

I train with a guy who is a multiple Comnrades and Ironman finisher. He is a natural runner and he reckons ironman is tougher....

I then know another guy who reckons comrades is tougher.

For me, I have done ironman but never comrades. I certainly believe I will not finish a comrades given my legs so for me Comrades is tougher.

90kays on legs...norrrafok

I have mentioned this before but for me the training for Ironman is harder but on the day Comrades was for sure tougher!

cool thx again.  Just as long as I can finish the swim, that is a big concern.  I am slowly building up my running miles, and will try and do some brick sessions if time allows to build up some strength.

Beesrib maybe you can use the 5150 as a test to see how you doing. happens on the 20th August at Warmbaths on the 20th of August

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/5150/5150-bela-bela.aspx#axzz4A8SUrep2

thank you Sir, I will have a look!!

On the this race, the swim you can stand up if you get tired... some even walk. (is in the ski/wakeboard lake which is shallow, chest deep)

You can use a MTB on a 5150 I think.

Run is flat around the campsite

Otherwise there is the Rockman tri in December which is all off road at Heia Safari in the Cradle loop.

Did the sprint last year as my first ever tri. Was a awesome time out however the temps were stupid high. The Garmin picked up 40 + degrees which = near death experience.

Link: http://rockmanxtri.co.za/ 

On the this race, the swim you can stand up if you get tired... some even walk. (is in the ski/wakeboard lake which is shallow, chest deep)

You can use a MTB on a 5150 I think.

Run is flat around the campsite

yup a whole 17 m for the 10 km run... must however point out that the surface you are running on isn't the best as its very uneven and not pleasant to walk on with slops. Recently camped there and noticed that.

So I have full on bronchitis and laryngitis and I'm doing Durban in 3 weeks

Oh the joys! Didn't do it last year so i am hoping it is considerable easier than EL based on my current situation !!!

hi, if anyone knows of someone with an old wetsuit lying around that I might pick up for a good deal, please let me know.  Don't know the sizes, probably an xl or something.  I am 1.78 short and on a good day sitting on 96kg.  Will also later give xterra a try as recommended.

cheers.

On another note, Sharper, how much difference is there between swimming in the sea compared to a dam or pool with regards to the currents etc?

As in does 1 km in the sea = 2 - 3 km in a pool or dam,

Never done a considerable distance in the ocean hence my question.