• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

holy smokes 3k pre-entry + admin fee and about 15% chance of a swim, I think I am going to scratch this one off my list and do midlands instead.

also looking at the midlands as an option!!

so I have not done any training the last almost 2 weeks due to a cold and now a dodgy knee.  Very frustrating to say the least.  at least got my first ever road bike, and did a 30min idt session last night!!!

jeepers these things not cheap (events). also keeping the sore throat and sinusitis at bay.. swimming again his afternoon after work and spin sessions in the morning. keep it up guys and gals :)

Stupid question, Why are they so expensive?

The 947 Cycle challenge is 95 km ish race however it costs a fifth of the price of a half Ironman event??

And that's excluding the license fees that are required for the Ironman

Stupid question, Why are they so expensive?

The 947 Cycle challenge is 95 km ish race however it costs a fifth of the price of a half Ironman event??

And that's excluding the license fees that are required for the Ironman

Been discussed 100s of times.

I think it probably comes down to:

1. Added logistics of 3 disciplines. You dont just get road closure for one road and be done. You need permission and staff for swim, permission to close roads for bike and need to mark that, permission for run and need to mark and staff that.

Need to set up transitions etc. More marshalls for bike penalties.

2. They found that the price elasticity of demand for triathletes is higher. I.e., we are willing to pay more. If it was too much the events wouldnt sell out.

3. The added logistics of organising play into the 2nd....there arent as many events as they arent as easy to put on so athletes cant pick from as many on the calendar and become forced to do the ones that are there

Sure there are other reasons guys will bring up.

jeepers these things not cheap (events). also keeping the sore throat and sinusitis at bay.. swimming again his afternoon after work and spin sessions in the morning. keep it up guys and gals :)

You thought cycling was expensive... welcome to triathlons and forget about budgets !!!!!

Edited by shaper

yeah it gets ridonculous.  I am not going to do any of the trinity events for the new season for that reason.  Just going to do the 2 5150 and 70.3 IM events.  That with the cost of consumables for all the training and racing is making me pooh my pants.  

Always seem to be attracted to the expensive sports.

If they gave out medals and t-shirts for flushing gold bars down a crapper I would be a pro at that too.

Been discussed 100s of times.

I think it probably comes down to:

1. Added logistics of 3 disciplines. You dont just get road closure for one road and be done. You need permission and staff for swim, permission to close roads for bike and need to mark that, permission for run and need to mark and staff that.

Need to set up transitions etc. More marshalls for bike penalties.

2. They found that the price elasticity of demand for triathletes is higher. I.e., we are willing to pay more. If it was too much the events wouldnt sell out.

3. The added logistics of organising play into the 2nd....there arent as many events as they arent as easy to put on so athletes cant pick from as many on the calendar and become forced to do the ones that are there

Sure there are other reasons guys will bring up.

Also  a few others...

Security and insurance costs as there are 3000 bikes left overnight ranging from R3k a bike to R200K+, plus wetsuits, cycling kit etc etc... that a whole lot of Rondelas in one place!!

Economies of scale, limited field of 3000 for Ironman (3000 x R3000 = R9m) v 30000 for 94.7 (30000 x R430 = R12,9m).  The R12,9m is for one road closure of 94.7kms.  In comparison the R9m is for road closure of 90km, some if not all road closure for 21km run, additional lifeguards, boats, jet skis etc for a swim.

There are a few smaller events both Olympic and Ultra distance that cost a half to a third of what an Ironman does.

I also guess you are paying a bit extra for the brand (finishers tshirt and medal) ... if you can quantify a cost for I guess a certain bragging rights :)

Sorry if this is going to sound stupid, but what trinity events? I don't see any on their website. Are still going to have events?

Also  a few others...

Security and insurance costs as there are 3000 bikes left overnight ranging from R3k a bike to R200K+, plus wetsuits, cycling kit etc etc... that a whole lot of Rondelas in one place!!

Economies of scale, limited field of 3000 for Ironman (3000 x R3000 = R9m) v 30000 for 94.7 (30000 x R430 = R12,9m).  The R12,9m is for one road closure of 94.7kms.  In comparison the R9m is for road closure of 90km, some if not all road closure for 21km run, additional lifeguards, boats, jet skis etc for a swim.

There are a few smaller events both Olympic and Ultra distance that cost a half to a third of what an Ironman does.

I also guess you are paying a bit extra for the brand (finishers tshirt and medal) ... if you can quantify a cost for I guess a certain bragging rights :)

Massive one right there.

Nike Air Huarache

http://images.nike.com/is/image/DotCom/PDP_HERO/NIKE-AIR-HUARACHE-RUN-ULTRA-819685_400_A_PREM.jpg

My favourite trainers ever. Early nineties when these originally came out. Got me a 32.30 10K and a 1H.17M half marathon. Still my PB's to date.

so what events have you got lined up for the rest of the year.  what are you currently training for?

I see bela bela is sold out!

those trainers looks yuck! but the fashion has changed nowadays. some good news, swam without the snorkel last night for the first time proper lengths. so i am very grateful. watched the total immersion swimming dvd which gave good pointers. so i am chuffed.