Good luck dude, just remember to taper down the week before the race and you wont over train.  The mental side is probably the hardest part, crossing that start line will be your biggest challenge but when you do you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I think I've lost my mind.  Entered for Bela-Bela and then the Midmar Ultra in November.  Slow ramp up to Midmar, which is cool.  Currently a few issues.  Bilateral breathing, what's THAT?  I'll just have to start training and working towards it!  My cycling is okish.  I do need to work on power vs cadence vs HR though.  And then, my running SUCKS.  Period.  But hey, I WILL finish!

So I think I've lost my mind.  Entered for Bela-Bela and then the Midmar Ultra in November.  Slow ramp up to Midmar, which is cool.  Currently a few issues.  Bilateral breathing, what's THAT?  I'll just have to start training and working towards it!  My cycling is okish.  I do need to work on power vs cadence vs HR though.  And then, my running SUCKS.  Period.  But hey, I WILL finish!

haha ive also entered for bela bela, f#ck im leke nervous... will also have to ramp up my training and technical swimming bigtime. bit good motivation to get my goodies going. will also aim for finish. would i need a wetsuit for this event? tri-suit i will buy, but scared of wetsuit changes in such short period of adaptations.

So I think I've lost my mind.  

Think I did as well but for a different reason. I just entered the 5150 without looking at my calendar. The 5150 is on the 20th. I have the Trans Baviaans on the 13th and the Lost City Cycle challenge on the 21st. All book and paid! I really need to book this stuff in my calendar. I cant just skip the 5150 now and loose R1000, so that leaves me with 3 races in 8 days. Think I will take the Lost City race easy….

Edited by Grondpad

Jeez now I feel your excitement!!!!   Renier, you can rent a wetsuit, or buy one should you have the ability.  Also not needed for a tri suit immediately, did my first sprint this year in running tights without shammy and a cycling shirt for the cycle and run!

Think I did as well but for a different reason. I just entered the 5150 without looking at my calendar. The 5150 is on the 20th. I have the Trans Baviaans on the 13th and the Lost City Cycle challenge on the 21st. All book and paid! I really need to book this stuff in my calendar. I cant just skip the 5150 now and loose R1000, so that leaves me with 3 races in 8 days. Think I will take the Lost City race easy….

wow eager beaver :)

Jeez now I feel your excitement!!!!   Renier, you can rent a wetsuit, or buy one should you have the ability.  Also not needed for a tri suit immediately, did my first sprint this year in running tights without shammy and a cycling shirt for the cycle and run!

eish im not fazed about the purchase or renting, not sure if i'll have enough time to sort out my swimming skills AND getting used to swimming in a wetsuit in this short timeframe.. yikes!! but seems like i will have to get going with it... 

haha ive also entered for bela bela, f#ck im leke nervous... will also have to ramp up my training and technical swimming bigtime. bit good motivation to get my goodies going. will also aim for finish. would i need a wetsuit for this event? tri-suit i will buy, but scared of wetsuit changes in such short period of adaptations.

Rent or buy a wetsuit!  But get one.  It helps with buoyancy and against the cold.  The only issue I had was taking the bloody thing off but there is a trick to it.  If you get one and you close to Klein Kariba on race weekend (or the Vaal before) I can show you what I was taught.  And don't forget the lube!

Hey, guess what, a finish is PERFECT!! I've come to realize that triathlon is the opposite pole of cycling!  I purely race against myself.  I don't race others.  And a finish is a huge win!! 

eish im not fazed about the purchase or renting, not sure if i'll have enough time to sort out my swimming skills AND getting used to swimming in a wetsuit in this short timeframe.. yikes!! but seems like i will have to get going with it... 

Swam with my wetsuit for the first time before the Sun City sprint in the Valley of Waves.  Just make sure it fits correctly!

Swam with my wetsuit for the first time before the Sun City sprint in the Valley of Waves.  Just make sure it fits correctly!

thanks for the headsup :) we are going to be camping at forever resorts.. will check out the dam etc beforehand the day before hehehe. now its getting it all together.. remember if i die, its you guys's fault!!

Entered my first triathlon in January 2017. It is the Xterra Buffelspoort Lite which is: -

Swim: 400m;

MTB: 19km;

Run: 6km

Any advise re training for this noob please?

I have done duathlons but that was: -

2.5km run

15km MTB;

1.25 run

Thanks

Entered my first triathlon in January 2017. It is the Xterra Buffelspoort Lite which is: -

2.5km run

15km MTB;

1.25 run

Thanks

gooi a google search for triathlon training programs , there are some good examples :)

the miway sun city was my first attempt at tri this year.  I did the sprint, damn, but I was longing for a wetsuit that early Sunday morning!!!! I was only there in my little running tights and goose bumps.  almost felt like drowning, as this was my first open water swim, and a bit under prepared.  The swim also ended up being about 200m longer than indicated.  Just glad I did not drown. 

I just bought my first ever road bike, should probably arrive tomorrow or Friday, and then to start saving up again for a wetsuit.  Luckily and unlucky, I don't have nice indoor facilities to continue swimming during winter, so now only working on the running and cycling, building up some miles.

good luck with bela bela.  I think I will have a look at the rockman in December as my next event!!

2.5km run

15km MTB;

1.25 run

Thanks

also depends on your background.  if you are a runner, focus on the other 2 etc.  for me the biggest thing currently is the swim, but I think as you do the longer events, the run seems to be the killer.

the miway sun city was my first attempt at tri this year.  I did the sprint, damn, but I was longing for a wetsuit that early Sunday morning!!!! I was only there in my little running tights and goose bumps.  almost felt like drowning, as this was my first open water swim, and a bit under prepared.  The swim also ended up being about 200m longer than indicated.  Just glad I did not drown. 

I just bought my first ever road bike, should probably arrive tomorrow or Friday, and then to start saving up again for a wetsuit.  Luckily and unlucky, I don't have nice indoor facilities to continue swimming during winter, so now only working on the running and cycling, building up some miles.

good luck with bela bela.  I think I will have a look at the rockman in December as my next event!!

This was my second one.  I knew the swim was going to be "busy" when I saw the number of people at the start.  

And yes, the wetsuit is the best! 

https://www.facebook.com/TheSportsBasement/  Scroll down their time line and see the advert for wetsuits, might be of interest.  There are some good prices and they also do trade in, so may have used wetsuits for sale.  Also I see they do wetsuit hire