Are you maybe over training? And are you taking rest days?

hi,

don't think I overtrain, and there are often rest days if I cannot get out of bed to train before work.  I think I need to start training smarter and actually follow some sort of structure.  Currently just following whatever plan comes to mind

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be careful with your fruit intake. Fruit, although it has lots of fibre, has got a fair amount of sugar in it (the good sugar). Too much fruit may spike your blood sugar, which will make you feel tired later on. Add some veg or nuts :)

shot.  not too crazy about fruits, so will watch the sugars.  Did have some nuts for breakfast which I like a lot.

Edited by Beesrib

hi,

don't think I overtrain, and there are often rest days if I cannot get out of bed to train before work.  I think I need to start training smarter and actually follow some sort of structure.  Currently just following whatever plan comes to mind

Good idea! Hope you come right :thumbup:

Eat brother! a ramp up in training is going to deplete you, you need to fill up with quality foods. I aim to eat smaller portions, and more often, but keep it clean for the most part. Its easy to get calories from fatty and sugary foods but you'll crash just as quickly afterwards. Food prep can be equally as tiring as a training session... 

Definitely take a recovery shake after a tough workout. Your muscles are like a sponge after training so give it the good stuff straight away. Good whey protein and a heap of quick digesting carbs.

Training fuel is an experiment. You need to try out different brands, types, quantities. Try whole foods, try drinks, gels everything, and see what works best for you. It takes time but can be quite fun playing around with it.

As far as energy during the day I got nothing. Coffee works wonders, in fact even just the walk to go get the coffee helps, but at 2 or 3pm every day you'll find me slouching (hard) behind my computer screens.

thanks for the reply.  Overall I eat pretty well, try to limit the carbs and limiting or avoiding processed stuff.  I do a lot of red meat and lamb, so get enough natural fats.  Will have a look and experiment with recovery shake.  I used to mix a spoon full of L-glutamine with some milk, maybe try this again.

I also have plenty of coffee, but that does not give me a boost, but leaves me happy.  I am quite active during the day, as I work in construction, and spend a lot of time walking and climbing stairs, almost averaging about 10 000 steps per day as per my garmin.  I often feel a bit moeg after a long day, and then feel it during my afternoon run.

hi,

I am a very big fan of following structured training plans that are fitted to your current fitness levels. Each workout is effort, and I always go into a workout with a goal, and knowing what I want to achieve. Results are seen through consistency, and if you are following different plans, you are not going to get consistency. Early on, you will see a lot of results, but they will slow down quickly.

As for the fatigue, I still battle with it every now and then. In the beginning of my training plan, and now recently at the start of a new training block (intensity has ramped up). It takes a week or so for me to adjust, and then I feel great. I do eat really well and clean however. I drink very sparingly and avoid processed foods/refined carbs (I still fail sometimes though - those long swim sessions are killer). 

thanks for the reply.  Overall I eat pretty well, try to limit the carbs and limiting or avoiding processed stuff.  I do a lot of red meat and lamb, so get enough natural fats.  Will have a look and experiment with recovery shake.  I used to mix a spoon full of L-glutamine with some milk, maybe try this again.

Don't be scared of carbs. Absolutely right to avoid processed ones. But too many modern fad diets cut carbs out altogether and it seems to have stuck. More athletic/active people certainly need them. Especially if you're active all day - which I'm quite jealous of to be honest. It sure beats sitting behind computer screens for 11 hours a day..

hi,

Think you said you wanted to train for a sprint event first, if you want to have an idea of a structured training plan try this http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/affiliates/usa-triathlon/usa-triathlon-training-plans

It's FREE :) and you can also use the free version of trainingpeaks.  

Else use one of the Fittrack training plans which are also free

https://www.fittrack.co.za/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanSearch.aspx

I actually used a fittrack plan for my first 70.3 a few years ago when was getting into the sport and finished the event without too much issue... (ok, it was a bit of a run/walk finish)  :whistling:

Here some more Free traininpeaks plans ;)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/affiliates/british-triathlon/british-triathlon-training-plans

https://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/plans/15-week-pool-sprint-triathlon-plan-for-1st-timers?DCI=22&DSC=42

Even if you do not use them, create a trainingpeaks account and "buy them" so that they will be in your library for future reference, should you need ;)

Here some more Free traininpeaks plans ;)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/affiliates/british-triathlon/british-triathlon-training-plans

https://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/plans/15-week-pool-sprint-triathlon-plan-for-1st-timers?DCI=22&DSC=42

Even if you do not use them, create a trainingpeaks account and "buy them" so that they will be in your library for future reference, should you need ;)

thx again for all the info shaper.  and yes, I will be doing the sprint in May @ Sun City. 

thx again for all the info shaper.  and yes, I will be doing the sprint in May @ Sun City. 

Cool, will help if I can, look at one of those plans and see if you can follow it, is not difficult when you get into it... and training is not all about going all out as hard as you can, often is the opposite and is about going as slow as you can to build strength and endurance..... and the latter makes it easier to pull yourself out of bed in the morning ;)

hi shaper, ok so I registered on fittrack and got a 4 week beginner triathlon program.  For some reason it does not want to let the sync happen with Strava, but I will try again later.  next question, on the training program it says swimming, 00:15:00 (so 15 minutes) at 0.65 for 8 points.  what is the 0.65 and how does the point system work?  thx

ok thx.  so will that be perceived effort or will it link directly with my HRM readings?

ok thx.  so will that be perceived effort or will it link directly with my HRM readings?

Don't think you will be monitoring HRM when swimming? So will be a perceived effort.

If you know your max HR for running and cycling, you can use it as a general guide and see how it feels and adjust accordingly.  Although the fitter you get the lower your HR will be so then will be more based on perceived effort