So I did my first Triathlon yesterday.

The swim leg was quite an eye opener and although I thought I was prepared for it I was not . When We got to the first marker I felt I could go no more and was quite shocked to see 60m of 1500 m was covered so far and at that stage did not feel like I would make it.

Went to breast stroke while trying to go back to free style mentally I just could not do it. Only after about 1km I started swimming ok, sure I did 200 m to 300 m extra as well and finished in around 45 minutes which was a bit of my planned 37 minutes but with the breast stroke I could not really expect better. Bike went ok , finished at 1h16 minutes for the 40 km which is quite hilly and some wind also did not make it easy.

During the run I had to dig deep as I felt at 2 km that I had blisters on both feet.(something I never had before) . The trial run of 11km was a lot tougher than expected and took me 1h15min.

Will train a bit more running and swimming and will be mentally better prepared for the next event.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The swim leg was quite an eye opener and although I thought I was prepared for it I was not . When We got to the first marker I felt I could go no more and was quite shocked to see 60m of 1500 m was covered so far and at that stage did not feel like I would make it.

Went to breast stroke while trying to go back to free style mentally I just could not do it. Only after about 1km I started swimming ok, sure I did 200 m to 300 m extra as well and finished in around 45 minutes which was a bit of my planned 37 minutes but with the breast stroke I could not really expect better. Bike went ok , finished at 1h16 minutes for the 40 km which is quite hilly and some wind also did not make it easy.

During the run I had to dig deep as I felt at 2 km that I had blisters on both feet.(something I never had before) . The trial run of 11km was a lot tougher than expected and took me 1h15min.

Will train a bit more running and swimming and will be mentally better prepared for the next event.

Well done. You did the event at Cradle Moon? It was crazy hot yesterday. I watched as all the athletes left. Many looked beat. I was there to do a 2km swim after the event. The water was lovely. 

Well done and welcome to the family Triathlete.

Yeah practise those open water swims and pay special attention to practising restraint in the first 400meteres or so.  Keep your heart rate down, start right at the back of the bunch if you new, you will catch up later on in the race when people go through what you just went through.

Also remember not to burn all your matches on the ride. Dont treat it like a normal weekend ride.  Remember those legs need to get you through the run as well. Also the nutrition you taking on the bike (for shorter trithlons)is to fuel your run, the food before you race is to fuel your ride.  Dont go to heavy on the liquids or you will be slooshing around on the run.

Blisters can be from a number of things were your shoes wet?

Practice you brick sessions, not just bike to run but swim to bike as well.  Dont be hard on your self these things take time to get used to.

Well done though

Edited by Davey_Jones

Well done Cheese!  It was a tough day out and not the easiest route I've ever done, but for the money they charge you cannot get anything close to half decent.  I only saw the event on Friday so had to do a late entry on the day.

The swim was a lot longer than they advertised and I see most people clocked about 1,9km!  I managed the swim in about 39 min, which I was quite happy with considering I have done minimal swim training.  The bike route was fun, pretty much the usual route round the cradle, and managed a 1:18.  I knew I was in for a difficult run, but the added heat made it even harder and ended up walking a lot of the climbs, but was happy with just under 1:06 for the almost 11km.  And at least I managed to finish ahead of the winning lady for a change!

It was the first race of a 6 race series and I will definitely be doing a few more of them.  I think it is a great training session for some of the longer races as it is not flat at all!  I am glad i got this one in before East London to test the legs on the hills. 

Next on is on the 25th of Feb I see and run all the way until October, def check them out guys.  

Here is a link to the one we just completed in case anyone is interested:

http://redhub.co.za/2017/11/redhub-event-7-january-2018/ 

Good job you two :clap: those are cracking bike times! its a tough old route that. 

I was out doing a normal cycle in the cradle on Sunday, knee is a bit wonky so didn't enter the event, but I def will in the future. 

Good afternoon and happy new year!

Over the past few rides, I've been experiencing a lot of punctures. I want to buy new rims and am considering tubeless, any opinions?

Well done to those who raced at the weekend, every event adds valuable experience & muscle memory.

Anyone going to KZN Champs (presented by Tri+) at Midmar this Sunday 14th January? I plan to be there doing the sprint event (750/20/5), together with my sons (x2) and a friend... we have a bit of a challenge going down...

Edited by amr63

Sufferfest just released some free training plans for use with TrainingPeaks.  They are mostly cycling, but there are plans for each of the triathlon distances from sprint right up to full Ironman!!

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/the-sufferfest.HTML

Looked at the 70.3 sample plan, and wow, looks like a very decent plan for something that is free. 

Looked at the 70.3 sample plan, and wow, looks like a very decent plan for something that is free. 

Keep for future, should you decide to do more tri's and not go with one of the online coaching platforms... the workouts are self explanatory and seem easy enough to follow ;)

Keep for future, should you decide to do more tri's and not go with one of the online coaching platforms... the workouts are self explanatory and seem easy enough to follow ;)

Oh, it is already bookmarked for when I decide I no longer need/want a coach. I have more planned already. Not letting this fitness fade - worked far too hard for it.  :lol:

Durban is next, and my A race for this year. EL is the first of a build up to IMSA next year. I am not sure if I'll carry on with the 140.6 mile distance events after that, but I think I will stick with triathlon for as long as it keeps my attention. Just not sure how I will react to such training, and if I can cope. It's already tough as is, so the next 15 months is going to be a journey in pushing my limits and understating myself more (and taking my training more seriously for a longer period). 

Oh, it is already bookmarked for when I decide I no longer need/want a coach. I have more planned already. Not letting this fitness fade - worked far too hard for it.  :lol:

Durban is next, and my A race for this year. EL is the first of a build up to IMSA next year. I am not sure if I'll carry on with the 140.6 mile distance events after that, but I think I will stick with triathlon for as long as it keeps my attention. Just not sure how I will react to such training, and if I can cope. It's already tough as is, so the next 15 months is going to be a journey in pushing my limits and understating myself more (and taking my training more seriously for a longer period). 

Once you have done your first, you know what it takes, so is quite easy to follow a plan and even adjust (usually more running!!) without a coach if you are motivated enough!!

Majority of the training and racing is a journey to understand yourself better... so I will watch the progress ;)

If you want some more plans (free of course) to mix it up in the periods between build up to events, here a link to a list I did in 2016 and recently updated with the sufferfest ones https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/163337-free-trainingpeaks-plans/?hl=trainingpeaks+plans

:)

Okay, due to injury and illness my training is a bit of a pipe dream at this stage. But I did get back in the water at least over the weekend.

So question for those who can still remember starting swimming. What's the best way to build up to a distance of uninterrupted swim? I swim one length, nearly die, repeat a couple of times. Yesterday I did my first back-to-back lengths. One there and one back.

So is best to do as I usually do, just getting used to it and maybe to back-to-back lengths twice a session, then move up to 3 back-to-backs? Or how the heck did you guys get to swim that far in one go? 

I somehow have to get myself swimming 400m non-stop before end Feb.  :unsure:

Okay, due to injury and illness my training is a bit of a pipe dream at this stage. But I did get back in the water at least over the weekend.

So question for those who can still remember starting swimming. What's the best way to build up to a distance of uninterrupted swim? I swim one length, nearly die, repeat a couple of times. Yesterday I did my first back-to-back lengths. One there and one back.

So is best to do as I usually do, just getting used to it and maybe to back-to-back lengths twice a session, then move up to 3 back-to-backs? Or how the heck did you guys get to swim that far in one go? 

Maybe get someone to have a look at your swim stroke, sounds to me like you might be working to hard? If you are reasonable fit you should be able to swim 400m non-stop. 

If I could start over again, I would get to about 100m unbroken fitness, so that you're relatively comfortable in the water, and then go for lessons. I cannot stress enough how important form is. and how difficult it is to un-learn once you have developed poor habits.

You need to find a comfortable, sustainable pace. Start by slowing way down. You should not be out of breath at all. You will be able to work up to that distance fairly quickly. You will however need to be consistent. 3 or so sessions a week should be perfect. 

Take a look at this for an idea on how to structure your swim sets: 

http://www.nhstriathlon.co.uk/training/beginners-400m-swim/