Well done!!  Also got the same email, think they send them out periodically in the hope that you will maybe sign up for some more races and chase a better ranking, which is based on the points you get at each race.

yeah, its clever marketing.... taps into the humans need to do better an better....sadly I wont be doing another ironman event this year and next year probably only 1 being Weymouth.

There are loads of triathlons on the go here all the time, many different brands an most less than half the price of IM but still the IM brand lures ppl with its superb offerings....

The events are expensive here, maybe they should lose the bags and the nice shirts they give out for those that want a cheaper event. I don't need the shirts or the bags ,I got loads as it is.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, its clever marketing.... taps into the humans need to do better an better....sadly I wont be doing another ironman event this year and next year probably only 1 being Weymouth.

There are loads of triathlons on the go here all the time, many different brands an most less than half the price of IM but still the IM brand lures ppl with its superb offerings....

The events are expensive here, maybe they should lose the bags and the nice shirts they give out for those that want a cheaper event. I don't need the shirts or the bags ,I got loads as it is.

If you fancy doing non IM events, take a look at

Cotswold 113 https://www.113events.com/cotswold-113/

Outlaw Full https://www.outlawtriathlon.com/nottingham/overview/

Both come highly recommended.

Else if your really feel the need for an IM, bicket list for many in the UK is now IM Wales http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/wales/register.aspx  Crowd participation is quikly getting up there like Roth, whole town of Tenby goes nuts on race day..... but is a tough one !!

Edited by shaper

Everybody who does IM Wales say it's the toughest IM........but love it 

Matt Trautman won it this year!!

Edited by shaper

If you fancy doing non IM events, take a look at

Cotswold 113 https://www.113events.com/cotswold-113/

Outlaw Full https://www.outlawtriathlon.com/nottingham/overview/

Both come highly recommended.

Else if your really feel the need for an IM, bicket list for many in the UK is now IM Wales http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/wales/register.aspx  Crowd participation is quikly getting up there like Roth, whole town of Tenby goes nuts on race day..... but is a tough one !!

Outlaw event for full distance is 300 quid, IM for full is close to 500. Big difference hey.

Cotswold is close to me so a very possibility.

IM wales is on my radar as is the new IM Ireland.....we wait n see how winter goes... not too keen to train through winter like i did last year...it hurt me a lot and i was ill often.

but hey, its ironman so i gotta toughen up

Awesome discussion that - I spotted again today. I had to click.... because I literally give it a Tri 17 Nov in the 70.3 Langkawi.

Only previous experience was one event ~16? years ago when the first half IM was held in PE (1st of the return of IM to SA)

The swim and bike is ok, but I currently literally learn to run again after all this years... not that was ever a natural activity for a rugby prop:)

Will slowly read trough the thread and absorb the wisdom , thanks!

Any on here come to Langkawi?

So another noob question here

Swimming...

I am getting much better wrt my technique and my breathing, especially since I started doing drills to get comfortable in the water and swim without constantly being out of breath and feeling like I am drowning. However, still can't swim more than 4 laps continuous without having to stop for a few seconds at least to catch my breath. I am sure a bunch of you have had the same problem and how long will it take for me to start getting comfortable enough in the water to swim upward op 1000m without stopping?

I had the same issue. I had to find a balance where I have enouth oxygen to allow my brain to focus on technique (instead of drowning), but still get a bit of distance in a training session.

I did it by keep swimming lengths when out of air, but initially every 3de length is breast stroke. The next week every 4th, then 5th etc. Etc

It just gave me the opportunity to calm down a bit so that I can focus better.

One thing that made a massive (20 seconds/100m) difference was watching the effortless swimming YouTube channel's 'Friday feedback' videos.

Awesome discussion that - I spotted again today.

The swim and bike is ok, but I currently literally learn to run again after all this years...

really? and your user name is Zátopek? you clearly have the genes or at least aspire in the right direction to be a great runner.

Like Emil Zátopek, I suggest you start by running short & often. & then run faster. & then run further. and keep it fun.

really? and your user name is Zátopek? you clearly have the genes or at least aspire in the right direction to be a great runner.

Like Emil Zátopek, I suggest you start by running short & often. & then run faster. & then run further. and keep it fun.

The Emil Zátopek connection is correct, but it got proxied via Deon Meyer's character Zatopek ("a damaged man") who's dad in the book Orion was a fan of Emil   :blush: 

Edited by Zatopek

So we got our bib numbers yesterday - not that it is needed for anything practical yet...

(Except building pressure/anticipation  :eek: ) 

Good luck friend, the weather is looking weeeeettttt. Hopefully you guys catch a break in a couple weeks time. 

So we got our bib numbers yesterday - not that it is needed for anything practical yet...

(Except building pressure/anticipation  :eek: ) 

Good luck, enjoy the last few weeks and taper, remember the hard training has been done... and enjoy the event!!

Look forward to feedback on Langkawi

Anybody doing the Race2Stanford 70.3

I'm getting a little nervous. The weather doesn't look great for the swim and I'm a right-side breather ... ???? ... means somewhere in the loop I'm going to have the spray coming right at me as I breath ????

I have been training alternating but not comfortable breathing to the left side yet.

Noob question here! Regarding intensity of cycling intervals on the watt bike. Normally I would do HIIT twice a week and kill myself, but now I'm swimming or running in the morning (because one sport is not enough), so the HIIT bike afternoon workout I can't manage the same intensity. Should I be doing just tempo steady stuff or longer easier sessions? Thanks ahead.