Tokai 2016 reopening

(Deon)

I just think no one should have right of way and everyone should slow down, pull over and be courteous. In a head on situation, my favourite outcome is 'you go.. no you go.. ok.. then you both go and have a laugh and say enjoy your ride bro/brodette' and everyone pedals on smiling.

Basically: apply common sense and don't be a dick

Down has ROW. End of story. 

Not just Tokai, but any and all tracks.

Rules shouldn't be specific to an area. 

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically: apply common sense and don't be a dick

Not just Tokai, but any and all tracks.

Rules shouldn't be specific to an area.

The majority of places follow IMBA, which states the ascender has ROW. At Tokai, fortune has always favoured those who are having fun. Which means descenders have ROW. It's also a LOT easier to hear people coming down, when you're going up. You can also take evasive action without heading for the bushes!

I just think no one should have right of way and everyone should slow down, pull over and be courteous. In a head on situation, my favourite outcome is 'you go.. no you go.. ok.. then you both go and have a laugh and say enjoy your ride bro/brodette' and everyone pedals on smiling.

pffft

Agreed fully. Unfortunately, rules have to exist cos people are dicks.

Agreed fully. Unfortunately, rules have to exist cos people are dicks.

Indeed and even so the DICKS dont follow the rules

Some toss screamed at me the other day 'It used to be dual way and so stuff you, I've always done it'... pffft

That's Scott. He's a dick

Somewhat off topic...Ive noticed that when running in a pack, humans believe they have absolute right of way. And the right to take up the left, right and middle of a jeep track as well as a significant part of the tar road usually just where your bike needs to be to avoid being hit by a car...

Somewhat off topic...Ive noticed that when running in a pack, humans believe they have absolute right of way. And the right to take up the left, right and middle of a jeep track as well as a significant part of the tar road usually just where your bike needs to be to avoid being hit by a car...

Same with cyclists - road or mountain bikers. Group mentality = strength in numbers. Everybody else must wait or get out of the way.

Comments on their behaviour are either met with a blank stare or a middle finger.

Like that dude on a bianchi, or that other dude Noel...

yoh yoh yoh... Myles, you know you can't bring up the Noel incident, he issued a sincere apology on facebook. As per other threads, case closed. Heat of moment stuff ala Sam GAAAZE!

That Dude in a Bianchi though.... pretty sure he rides with Jaco Pelser and is coached by Swen.....

yoh yoh yoh... Myles, you know you can't bring up the Noel incident, he issued a sincere apology on facebook. As per other threads, case closed. Heat of moment stuff ala Sam GAAAZE!

That Dude in a Bianchi though.... pretty sure he rides with Jaco Pelser and is coached by Swen.....

Not only that but have a look at the safety marshals up there and remind yourself that Noel helps keep them there and and has gone out of his way to find others to help sponsor them too.

The past is the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up.

Confirmed this morning with the gate official and from the Tokai MTB website.

Tokai gate times:

May – September, 8am – 5pm

October – April, 7am – 6pm

This might have been answered elsewhere but I can't for the life of me find the answer so here goes with the question:

As far as I know it is fine to ride the Green Belt trail up as far as Rhodes Drive. That correct?

Then, is it OK to ride any part of the rest of the trails down to Kirstenbosh other than next to the road? I am not sure how many there are and where they are but saw somebody riding through those beaut big Bluegums above Rhodes Drive and also saw some single track below the road. 

Does one need a permit to ride those and the cork trail?

Cheers

From top of Southern Cross Drive A - you cross the road (Rhodes Dr) and can ride down the cork oak lane to the bottom parking area of Cecelia Forest or B - you can turn left and ride up the service road to the top and at the art centre turn right and from there you follow the signs and the path goes through the top part of Kirstenbosch and to Newlands Forest which you may ride down to the M3.

All well marked - just take the walkers into account. Plenty of legwork but amazing.

So you could ride from Town to Tokai and not use roads.

Normal activity card needed for Newlands to Costantia Nek. Not greenbelts as that belongs to City

AFAIK you need an activity permit to ride anything on the 'high side' of Rhodes Drive. And you are restricted to the ones described in the post above.

The trail below Rhodes Drive isn't on SanParks property so doesn't require a permit... just grateful thanks to the good people that put it there.

This might have been answered elsewhere but I can't for the life of me find the answer so here goes with the question:

As far as I know it is fine to ride the Green Belt trail up as far as Rhodes Drive. That correct?

Then, is it OK to ride any part of the rest of the trails down to Kirstenbosh other than next to the road? I am not sure how many there are and where they are but saw somebody riding through those beaut big Bluegums above Rhodes Drive and also saw some single track below the road. 

Does one need a permit to ride those and the cork trail?

Cheers

Heard someone came off his bike yesterday morning in Tokai.

Hope he is ok and makes a full recovery

Thanks for the replies but I forgot to ask:

I have heard mention that it is possible to put up to 4 people - not necessarily family - on one card. Is this true?

Archived