Import duties on bicycle components??

Marlou

Hi Hubbers

I am considering importing a cassette ,chain, derailleur, shifter ,chainring and some tools.

Will I pay any additional fees like customs duty or VAT. I want to order from chainreactioncycles and qualify for "free shipping".

Thanks in advance

Different companies use different couriers to deliver which will determine the local (in SA delivery).

Example:

Wiggle uses Dawn Wing who charge R180 delivery fee and R180 document fee; i.e. R360 for clearance admin and delivery.

CRC and EvansCycles uses DHL who only charge R150 for the local delivery.

Then you also pay import duties; import duties on cyclists equipment works out to about 15% of the purchase price (after the conversion from USD or Euro or Pounds to ZAR).

So ordering something of $100; you will pay with your credit card $100; which your bank will covert at the convertion rate when the transaction is processed. So, you might purchase today at R15.50 per $1... If the transaction is process in 3 days time (after which JZ did some xxxgate) and the ZAR is R16 to the greenback you will pay R1,600. On top of this most banks charge their own admin convertion fee of 2,75%. Which means you actually pay R1,644. Then the import duties is +- 15% of the R1,600 if I'm not mistaken.

So you'll actually purchase the item for R1,644 (on your credit card), plus you'll pay R240 import duty plus you'll pay the delivery fee (R150 in the case of CRC using DHL). I.e the item cost you R2,034.

So do your homework; sometimes it's cheaper to buy local other times not.

Then more advice to follow.... Check my next post as well.

Be carefull what you place in your basket. Don't ever mix equipment and clothing items (including shoes, shirts, etc.). The import duties on clothing is 30% and because the courier companies don't cals import duties on the individual items they take the highest. So, ordering a pair of shoes and a casette will be a big mistake.... You'll pay 30% import duties on the entire shipment.

Another lesson I learned... The courier company contacts you when your parcel arrive in SA; they then calc amd email you the invoice for your duty & delivery. You the. Pay the invoice (eft) and they then only deliver. CHECK YOUR INVOICE. On my last order from Evans I ordered a saddle... The 'competent bloke' working with my parcel read SANDLE and used the clothing code.... Screwing me with R1,000 on the invoice. i phoned and explained the difference between the thing you put your ass on when riding a bicycle vs the thing you put on your feet ????

After this, they corrected the invoice and I paid the correct amount (difference between 15% and 30%)!!!!

My other parcel delivered through Dawn Wing got allocated the code for motorrcycle equipment (instead of cycling equipment). Motorrcycle equipment also carries a 30% import duty.... Another screw-over of R1,000. Again, mailed them, got it fixed and paid the correct 15%.

So, my advice is, do your price calcs to see if it's worth importing and calc the duties before you pay the courier!!!!

Good luck.

O, another lesson learned.... Evans state on their site that they will wait until all your items are in stock before shipping the goods. It has happened to me that they ship the goods that's in stock with DHL and a day later ship the remaining item that was out of stock. BUT because it's a single item, they decided to use Royal Mail and post the item to SA to my street address. Well, you can imagine what happens to this parcel when it reaches our Post Office. So then the fight starts and 5 weeks later Evans agreed to DHL me the item (again). But the. You pay for delivery again!!! So stuff like this are costly as you have little control. So, now I wait until ALL my stuff is in stock before I place the order. I manged to resolve most issues, but it's time consuming and frustrating.

I have to add that I've been importing stuff for the last 5 years and it's only in the last year that I've had all these problems; before that things always went smooth!!!

I've just ordered a helmet from Bike24.com. The import calc works like this:

Import Duty = Tariff (in my case I think it's 25%) + 10% + 14% VAT on everything (price + tariff + 10%). It's no cheaper than buying it here, but they have stock and I'm hooked.

I've just ordered a helmet from Bike24.com. The import calc works like this:

Import Duty = Tariff (in my case I think it's 25%) + 10% + 14% VAT on everything (price + tariff + 10%). It's no cheaper than buying it here, but they have stock and I'm hooked.

Helmets are considered clothing that's why there is the extra duty on it.

Have a look at www.bike24.com. Prices are far better than CRC. Many threads in online shopping about satisfied rubbers. Postage is usually 20Euros.

To see what you gonna pay go to checkout, click on SA for country and click payment method. It then adds postage and removes EU vat. The price then is what you convert to Randelas and you add 16%. Depending on when transaction is banked you will pay that exchange rate.

• 2 years later...

I bought a SRAM shirt few months ago. The shirt was about R800 and when it finally arrived at the post office i had to pay annother R790 something for customs fees. I ordered from england. To careful now to order from abroad again. I thought a courrier was gonna bring it.