Looking for Shim??

David Sher

looking for a shim that will allow me to use a 31.6mm seatpost on a 34.9mm seatpost frame.

i have attached a photo to show what i am looking for

post-84857-0-35176700-1464606069_thumb.jpg

Shims just creak and squeak. BTDT on an old Giant. Rather sell your thin seatpost and buy the correct size.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Olympic cycles has box of them

ask Gregory he knows where to find them

I got a 30.9 to 27.2

it was about R100

and it doesn't squeak ever (grease)

I used a make shift one from a beer can, worked well and never creaked or squeaked.

Finally got a proper one from the US and works a dream. No creaking or squeeking.

If you can't find locally, then you will have to import it.

Olympic cycles has box of them

ask Gregory he knows where to find them

I got a 30.9 to 27.2

it was about R100

and it doesn't squeak ever (grease)

Thanks

You can make your own by:

1. Buying a few different cans of beer. Drink them, cut the beer cans up with kitchen scissors and try them for thickness. They vary quite a bit. (I recommend you do this anyway, whether you use any of the other 2 methods or not) Usually works well if you need a fairly thin shim. You want the shim to be at least 100mm long and to go well past the top tube of your bike. Position it carefully in the frame with seatpost inserted, tighten clamp, then use a wooden or plastic instrument to burnish the top 1or 2 mm open to form a lip that will prevent your shim from slipping down the seat tube.

2. Calculate the difference between your seat tube diameter and what you want it to be, divide by 2 and go shopping at your nearest art shop. Ask them for copper / brass plate of that thickness. (It is used for engraving and come in different thicknesses) Cut as above, form a lip and you have a shim. The plate is a bit expensive and it doesn't have beer in it.

3. Order from a bike shop. Works best if you need quite a thick shim.

Ps. No.1 is my best method, but the OP did the right thing, except for leaving out the beer!

Hi - dude, no point in advertising and then acting before you give peeps time to see your ad.

i.e. mistake to ask for an item at 1pm and then order one at 4pm, before a fair number of people logged on and seen your request.  - I have a shim you can have for free - you just need to collect it.

Seeing all the interest anyone got a 31.6 to 30.9 shim for me??

i.e. to make a 31.6 narrow to 30.9 :)

Drink lots of brandy and coke and use a 4 pound hammer to "expand" the seat tube ? Then claim under lifetime frame warranty? (You did notice the Comic Sans, didn't you?)

Drink lots of brandy and coke and use a 4 pound hammer to "expand" the seat tube ? Then claim under lifetime frame warranty? (You did notice the Comic Sans, didn't you?)

aii     :D  :D

Yeah, big hammer and lots of lube.

Hi - dude, no point in advertising and then acting before you give peeps time to see your ad.

i.e. mistake to ask for an item at 1pm and then order one at 4pm, before a fair number of people logged on and seen your request.  - I have a shim you can have for free - you just need to collect it.

hi, they dont stock any of the ones i want, can i please collect your one?

me too please!

have an old specialized command post and need to fit into Cotic Solaris frame.

me too please!

have an old specialized command post and need to fit into Cotic Solaris frame.

Is the seatpost 31.6 or 30.9? I thought that the original poster was joking about shimming a 31.6 seat post to a 30.9 frame.

Archived