Keagan Girdlestone in critical condition after serious crash.

gummibear

Absolutely brilliant medical intervention by complete strangers onto a foreigner. This you would not have had in the communist democrazy of deep dark south africa. Within that lies the devine miracle.

Keagan, I don't know you, but keep fighting bru. You WILL be back on the bike one way or the other. All the best ahead

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ADMIN POST: A message (thanks google translate & a little tidy up!) from Michele- one of the surgeons who saved Keagan's life.

"Hi Keagan, I'm Michele Leone, the vascular surgeon who, with Mr Maurizio Cent, performed your emergency surgery.

In all these years I have never seen anything like it.

I also think I'm that "someone" you've flattered, allowing us to stop the bleeding and rebuild the blood vessels of your neck.

Our greatest fear in the beginning was that of not being able to finish the job. After we finished, we were afraid of the damage that you could have incurred.

Our hope was tied to your youth, to your will to fight and to the capabilities of all those who have seen you before, during and after the surgery.

In the course of the day we realized that gradually your condition improved.

I have followed your progress in CPR and then on your Facebook page through the account of my wife (I'm not on social media) and I am using this little note to let you know the immense joy and- not gonna lie to you- the satisfaction in seeing you on the road to recovery.

I hope you heal completely quickly and maybe get back on the bike... Allow me to send you a big hug. Michele

-----

Thank you Michele. Your efforts will be the subject of medical papers and discussions for years to come. But for Keagan and his family, the number one outcome is that Keagan will now enjoy a long and happy life. Thanks is simply not enough.

Without getting into an ecclesiastical argument, for this is not the place for it, surely god would not put this chap through such an ordeal.

Anyway. What an utterly frightening story, so chuffed Keagan is fighting his way out of it. Go boy.

The kid was motor pacing, and the driver jammed on anchors, and the natural laws of physics applied. So, it would be erroneous to blame God for the resultant collision.

The irony is that Atheists seem to expect more of God than believers.

The kid was motor pacing, and the driver jammed on anchors, and the natural laws of physics applied. So, it would be erroneous to blame God for the resultant collision.

Well said Harryn

Fantastic, miracles still happen

Being in Italy it wold probably have been the Virgin Mary that pulled this miracle off!

Miracles, god, European professionalalism... I really don't care what got him through. As long as "one of own" made it I'm stoked.

It's been a harrowing journey from reports of death to out of danger.

Awesome ending. Well done to everyone involved whether omnipotent or not I say!

Miracles, god, European professionalalism... I really don't care what got him through. As long as "one of own" made it I'm stoked.

It's been a harrowing journey from reports of death to out of danger.

Awesome ending. Well done to everyone involved whether omnipotent or not I say!

This is NOT the end - just the beginning of a long hard road ahead for Keags and his family - with luck it will end with a pro riding career restarting - or at least him being self sufficient and able to live an unrestricted life without disability.

And I know it will be a tough journey for them all.

Yip, he'll live

What remains to be seen is the nature of that life

Strength and hope, fellow cyclist ????

If god cannot override the laws of physics, he ain't all that impressive and all this invisible man stuff becomes moot.

From Keagan's FB profile.

Hello World, it's been a while!

As most of you probably already know, I was in a pretty bad accidenxxt 8 weeks ago that nearly ended my life. This has been the most testing 8 weeks of my life and the first few weeks were very dark, probably because I was sleeping most of it or have little memory of what happened in those weeks. During that time I was hallucinating and the things I thought I saw make me worry about myself. And the things I apparently said, "mum these nurses are trying to f'ing kill me" - luckily they are Italian and speak little to no English haha. Anyway back to being serious. I should be dead. It's a miracle I'm able to walk, talk (very softly as my vocal cord is damaged) and have brain functionality. Over the last few weeks, since I can remember, I don't think I've ever cried or lost my temper so quickly in my life. I guess that's what it feels like to have PMS (ladies, am I right?) During this experience of me not having functionality in my right arm and uncontrollable shaking of the left hand when I try to use it, I have begun to appreciate the small things in life. Doing everyday things such as drinking a cup of coffee without shaking and spilling half of it all over myself before reaching my mouth, or being itchy on the left side and not being able to use my right arm to scratch it (thank you for being there to scratch for me Mum) Desere

To everyone that sent me messages, I can’t thank you enough. There was a night in ICU when I gave up on life and accepted death (I was hallucinating pretty badly), but I woke up the next morning with my mum over me and I looked into her eyes as she told me “everything is going to be okay.” A blurry vision I will never forget. That is when I knew I had to win this fight, and could. Then my dad Wayne on the other side of my bed read me your messages and showed me your video clips of support. I can’t explain to you what a few phrases or words can do, but it gave me strength to get through many tough days. So thank you to the people that didn’t believe the reports about my death and instead prayed for a miracle to happen, because it did. And the words thank you is simply not enough, but that is all I can say.

To everyone that made a contribution to the #KeepFightingKeagz Campaign, no matter how big or small, it goes a long way in helping keep my parents in Italy by my side as well as with potential extra medical costs in the future. Thank you very much for the support!

A good friend told me recently that “Life is a beautiful thing. Enjoy it!” And that’s exactly what I plan to do.

A more detailed update on my current medical condition will be posted on my athlete page sometime next week.

Just posted on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/BIuc_ZuBVGq/

keagangirdlestoneHey instagram, it's been a while but I've been a bit occupied with a few things that I believe most of you heard about.

To everyone who supported me with the #keepfightingkeagz or kept me in their thoughts and prayers when no one knew if I'd live or not, thank you! Your prayers worked and I'm still here and able to type this message.I'm currently still in hospital and have been since the 5th of June, doing between 5 and 7 hours of physio a day!

As of now I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to ride or race a bike again but no matter how long it takes for me to recover, I will do what it takes to chase the dream of rainbow stripes and yellow jerseys! I have no words for all the support and it's impossible to thank everyone individually... so thanks a million and may God bless you all!! ❤

In this case the virgin mary looks like a Race doc with some smarts and a trauma unit with skills - if you want to call it a miracle - go ahead.

Still a long road to recovery for Keagan and his family but I understand its progressing well.

Doc My comment certainly was not to knock the professionals who saved him, or to make light of the situation, but more a figure of speech.

From Keagan's FB profile.

Hello World, it's been a while!

As most of you probably already know, I was in a pretty bad accidenxxt 8 weeks ago that nearly ended my life. This has been the most testing 8 weeks of my life and the first few weeks were very dark, probably because I was sleeping most of it or have little memory of what happened in those weeks. During that time I was hallucinating and the things I thought I saw make me worry about myself. And the things I apparently said, "mum these nurses are trying to f'ing kill me" - luckily they are Italian and speak little to no English haha. Anyway back to being serious. I should be dead. It's a miracle I'm able to walk, talk (very softly as my vocal cord is damaged) and have brain functionality. Over the last few weeks, since I can remember, I don't think I've ever cried or lost my temper so quickly in my life. I guess that's what it feels like to have PMS (ladies, am I right?) During this experience of me not having functionality in my right arm and uncontrollable shaking of the left hand when I try to use it, I have begun to appreciate the small things in life. Doing everyday things such as drinking a cup of coffee without shaking and spilling half of it all over myself before reaching my mouth, or being itchy on the left side and not being able to use my right arm to scratch it (thank you for being there to scratch for me Mum) Desere

To everyone that sent me messages, I can’t thank you enough. There was a night in ICU when I gave up on life and accepted death (I was hallucinating pretty badly), but I woke up the next morning with my mum over me and I looked into her eyes as she told me “everything is going to be okay.” A blurry vision I will never forget. That is when I knew I had to win this fight, and could. Then my dad Wayne on the other side of my bed read me your messages and showed me your video clips of support. I can’t explain to you what a few phrases or words can do, but it gave me strength to get through many tough days. So thank you to the people that didn’t believe the reports about my death and instead prayed for a miracle to happen, because it did. And the words thank you is simply not enough, but that is all I can say.

To everyone that made a contribution to the #KeepFightingKeagz Campaign, no matter how big or small, it goes a long way in helping keep my parents in Italy by my side as well as with potential extra medical costs in the future. Thank you very much for the support!

A good friend told me recently that “Life is a beautiful thing. Enjoy it!” And that’s exactly what I plan to do.

A more detailed update on my current medical condition will be posted on my athlete page sometime next week.

Kid has a great sense of humour! Good for him :-)

Archived