I am so confused with this country - Not Cycling

Saffa_G

everybody is equal ..... but some people are more equal that other.....

Big H, are you sure you not part of the new breed of intellectual refugee, the Afrikaaner elite now living in exile? There is a diaspora in the making and it has it's roots in the first Holocaust of the last century, The Boer Holocaust. You touched on it ever so slightly this afternoon and I was surprised that you didn't drive your point home when you had a great opportunity to in the "Tweede Taal" fracas. Anyway, when I least expect it you surprise me with your more than elementry grasp of English (pronounced ingrish) literature as well as the written form of the language... Respect...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Life was so good under the Nat goverment. i so hark back to the days when we didn't have to worry about who would be represnting us in the Olympics RR. Louis Luyt could of told NZ last year " you cant' call yourself Champs, if u have'n beaten us".

I've read through most of the posts here, and everyone's got lots to say and makes valid points. 

My 2c worth:I don't have a literate reason, I just know that I want out.  I do not want to wait until something happens to my daughter before I make the move.  I'm just in the dark as to how to go about it.  But working on that...  I do not see a future here anymore.  And there's nothing keeping me here emotionally.  If I make a new start elsewhere I will work to bring my loved ones over too.  For now I just have to get my daughter to safety, because I think that's the thing for me, I don't feel safe anymore.Cry

I don't have a domestic help, and I don't hate "other-coloured" people.  I feel the same about them as about anyone else: leave me to live my life to the best of my ability, I don't want anything from you and I don't owe you anything and I don't grudge you any opportunity, but please afford me and mine the same courtesy.  Unfortunately this is a naieve dream...

If I get the opportunity, I won't think twice, I'm out.

to say: if you wanna go, go, get the hell out of here and don't look back, don't call yourself an ex pat etc is a bit harsh. Come on guys, Saffa G is asking for some opinions, he is in a "cross roads" position at the moment. Give the guy a break and don't need to be so harsh.

My father came from overseas as he believed he could do more here for himself and create a better future for his kids. He kept on telling us how he wished he was back home, but there was no future there for us. Later in his life, he fell ill, and returned back home to die and be buried there, AT HOME. I now know what he sacrificed for us, and I am now going to do the same for my kids. I am also in the process of leaving. Not for financial reasons, as we have always made a plan, budgeted a bit tighter etc. The one main reason I want out of here is "LIFE IS WORTH NOTHING". That's it. You could be killed at any time for ANYTHING, and I can't live with that. I can't live with the fact that my children might have to grow up without me or me without them. I am going to sacrifice and miss this place, but I will do it for my children. To those that say I am a kuk patriot, so be it. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But you should get to know me before you do any judging. I will go and shout for the SA teams, and one day when my kids are older and out the house, I will come back to die and be buried here, as this will always be HOME.

I know of many people who have moved from CT to JHB and the other way around. WHY, the opportunity was better. In other words the grass was greener. Most people I know (and people on this hub) have moved provinces for better pastures!! It is not that different to those that want same, but in another country.

I was told by a friend that he would shake my hand the day that I climb on the plane as I have balls. My response was, I will shake your hand because I am leaving for a better future etc, maybe even because it's the easier route, either way, I believe you have balls to stay. In other words, he respects me leaving and I respect him staying. Us hubbers, should all feel the same about each other. I respect those that have left, those that want to leave and those that are staying, you all have your reasons and that is enough for me.

Lastly, I left my parents house when I got married and went on my own. The one thing that was made clear... This will always be your house and you are always welcome back. I would like to feel the same about this lovely country of ours...

veery well said pocketbikes.... thanks.... that was exactly the point, I was looking for opinions on the topic...

Life was so good under the Nat goverment. i so hark back to the days when we didn't have to worry about who would be represnting us in the Olympics RR. Louis Luyt could of told NZ last year " you cant' call yourself Champs' date=' if u have'n beaten us".[/quote']

life was good for white people under that nat government.

saffa g, i agree. nicely put pocketbikesClapit always happens with these threads. i don't know why some people see others who want to leave as some kind of traitors. it's just stupid. i wish you well no matter what course of action you choose.

i, too, am at a crossroads in my life. i want to move on in my career, but that would mean seeing a lot less of my kids than i do now. do i leave the relative complacent situation of seeing them nearly every day despite being estranged from their mother? or do i forge a new path for myself? does the first option make me a bad or selfish father? big questions. no easy answers.

saffa, do what's right for you!   

thanks HR, I don't just have to make a decision for myself, but also with rgards to my relationship....this decision will need to be made next year, but it is a toughie....I love SA.....i really love my country, but thats why I posed the question....

I have been a consultant for a number of years, travellign to different projects in US, Europe, ASIA, Africa. .... you name it, but there is no place like home I tell you:)

After reading all these answer and replies yesterday and today I feel this sadness and uncertainty in my heart.

My sister phoned and told me she is leaving for Dubai, work related and to look for a job for her husband. They have 2 kids, still in primary school. And I think to myself, if I also leave now, I leave my mom and her new found love (after 5 years of being a widow, he is like a dad to me now). I cannot do that.... She is 64, very young 64 I must say. But then on the other hand I asked my hubby what he think about leaving the country and he is just as uncertain, scared and think about the new life and if the kids will cope in a new country....

I am so confused, tears running..... I now it is everybodies own decision, it may be better but it may be worse as well. I don't know if I am prepared to pack up, leave everything and then need to return after a few years / months realising it doesn't work.

The only place I have ever been was here, for my whole 32 years, I don't know how it is out there, not what we see on the news, internet, papers, blah, blah.... but how is it REALLY out there???

Saffa, it really is a tough one, and one must think carefully and weigh all your options. But I believe nothing is put on your road if you are not ready to handle it. So, I will respect your decision - and all the other - whatever it may be, even if I don't know you personally. I can just say the best for you if you leave and the best to you if you stay...

We all hope we make the right decisions in life and we don't if we did until we have made that decision....

"Now I feel a bit better, tears wiped off, spoken my heart, and maybe I will also look in to it someday to leave, I don't know, depends on the future..."

saffa, no matter where you are, click your heels together three times and say: "there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home?"

and don't ever call yourself an ex-pat. you're a south african. full stop.

I lived in Malaysia for one year ... some other countries for a few months, but not long enought to say how they were to live in except for Malaysia .... but know word of lie ;) Malaysia has *** too .... and so does everywhere else, it is just the question : is their *** more of a lesser *** than ours?  And can you handle that?  I suppose this needs to be answered, because of course the grass may be greener now, there are times of drought and you can't just keep running ..... .....

Funny, when I told my Malaysian freinds about my bike computer being stolen, the first statement/question I heard made me laugh :

"what did the police find?"  Now that sweet and innocent to me, but to them they would have opened a case?  Hmmmmmmm?  I knwo that some people in SA really think through the process of going to the cops ..... doesn't that just make you think???  We have just all become comfortable with what we have here, but take it from an outsie view.  Sometimes I wish I could be hovering over SA and have a look in slow motion, for a few minutes in a day, as to what is going on .... whats happening at that street corner....whats happening at that house .... what the big shots in coverment, I mean government are up to ... really think it will be an eye opener :)  Damn i need coffee ....

Thanks for starting this thread Saffa_G, you don't know how much I needed it!

You see, I've spent a lot of time overseas.  I lived in the UK for about five years and had stints in the US and a bit in Australia and then I decided to return to SA.  I gave up a good job, but felt that the time was right to 'come home' as this is where my heart is. 

Five years later I am packing my bags again to go again.  Why do it all again?  Well, for the simple reason that I got a good offer to work in Holland which will be great for my carreer (or carriere as they say!), great for my cycling, my kids and I am looking for a new challenge.  Simply put; the grass is greener! 

The point I am trying to make is similar to what pocketbikes so eloquently put, that you have to run towards something, not away from something!  Go because you feel it is going to enrich or improve your life.  Fall in love with the place you are going to and make it your own, don't just go there and become another moaning Saffa (sorry, the pun was too good to ignore!) that bitches aout how it is not like SA and how you want to go back, but can't because of the crime/economy/opportunities/Eskom.  Mingle with the locals, don't just seek other Saffas.  Go out there and LIVE.  Life is too short to wonder about 'what if'.

It is going to be tough.  Believe me I've been there, it is blerrie tough out in another country with no friends in family, but I am willing to do make the sacrifice again because it's just too good to say no.

So at the end of this month it is adios amigos.  See you out there in the big world.  Thank goodness for the internet and Skype.  I'm going to be needing it...

Icycling, DoHA did me one better with my son's passport. We waited 4 months for one, nothing! Went there and made a stink, so the gentleman took out a new blank passport pasted my son's picture into it, stamped it and handed it to me. Time taken 3 minutes because he could not find the stamp.

This forum has been great to read, Saffa, let us know what you have decided, it would be nice to know which way the opinions leant you.

Icycling' date=' DoHA did me one better with my son's passport. We waited 4 months for one, nothing! Went there and made a stink, so the gentleman took out a new blank passport pasted my son's picture into it, stamped it and handed it to me. Time taken 3 minutes because he could not find the stamp.

This forum has been great to read, Saffa, let us know what you have decided, it would be nice to know which way the opinions leant you.
[/quote']

To be honest, it's not a decision I can comment on immediately, as I said this will only be fore next year, the idea was to see how people feel now, I would say we are leanign towards a 40% stay 60% go feeling here....

You know the big thing is that not eeryone CAN just go .... we seem to be overlooking this...there are many people that will have to stay here even when the proverbial cosmic kaka hits the fan on high speed ;)  So yeah .... loads of thinking to do ....

I fI do move though, I want to setup there for a while .... but will have to see .... I am just glad I have not got children yet ... because I think that must be the most worrying :(

I make no excusses for crime' date=' it sickens me and has affected my friends and family deeply, however.

The vast majority of crime in this country is committed by black people, because the vast majority of people in this country are black, so that kind of stands to reason. Also the vast majority of black people are poverty stricken and still suffering the effects of some 350 years of oppression.
[/quote'] A wise black prophet once said "Emancipate yourselfs from mental slavery for none but ourselfs can free our minds!"
Delgado, that is the best thing I have heard in a long time.  I hope that everybody understands the full concept of it