Getting dizzy during races

So - just to check - what happens is you stop riding (water point or some thing) then you feel dizzy almost immediately you stop?

How long does it take to feel ok again?

OP, listen to this guy!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets say within a minute or two from stopping. And anything usually from half an hour and thats whether i stop and rest or continue riding. Usually so Peed off that i dont sit with a stopwatch and time it....

Lets say within a minute or two from stopping. And anything usually from half an hour and thats whether i stop and rest or continue riding. Usually so Peed off that i dont sit with a stopwatch and time it....

Ek gaan nie se wat almal al dink nie...

(maar dokter toe met jou... :whistling: )

I will post some links tomorrow when I have a big screen to work with- I think what you have is an inability to control your blood pressure when you stop exercise - its transient - quite common and not per se life threatening - I dont know of any guaranteed way to treat this except to reduce the intensity and not suddenly stop exercising - and even then its not guaranteed - still worth working up properly to make sure you have no other underlying issues exacerbating this.

OP, listen to this guy!

Just repeating this !!

When V12man posts - you take note!!

Jeeze why everyone on the doc wagon...

I have had 2 discovery health checks since september without anyone noticing anything. I keep a close eye on my blood pressure as well, have my own machine at home and when i rest it goes to normal. Keeping in mind i am over weight/obese according to BMI.

I visited a sports scientistsststs last month and did a fitness test hooked up to all the machines and he didn't mention anything...

Im 30 years old, mom has high blood pressure (hence why i keep an eye on myself) and my dad had his first stents put in in January but before that no other history.

Do you really think its necessary to go see a doc and get everyone excited about being a bit dizzy?

Haha, I find your response funny as I am also 30years old and up until recently I felt the same way. "Why do I need to go see a doctor, I'm stil young and fit."

Started getting a pain in my elbow a few months ago, ignored it for a bit until it got to the point where I couldn't even pick up small object without it being painful.Finally went to see my GP and the diagnosis TENNIS ELBOW! WTF!

Was dum struck at this news as "I'm suppose to be young, strong and fit". Was given an cortisone injection and told to take it easy.The injection took the pain away and I just said f@£k that, "I'm young and fit", and went back to my usual level of activity and intensity.

After about a month the pain started creeping back and got progressively worse again. Finally it dawned uppon me, "I'm not so young and fit anymore".

Even though we're still relatively young at 30, we aren't getting younger and we should start looking after our bodies and general health better.Warning signs that we would have dismissed in the past we should start giving attention to now as it might affect our future health.

It may be insulin resistance, so despite eating/not eating sugar (and liver producing from stored glycogen), the cells aren't sensitive to being unlocked by insulin to absorb sugar - given that you're a big guy, you may have components of metabolic syndrome. Make an appointment with your doc NOW!

Ask for a full physiological check up. Cardiovascular, respiratory, gastro-intestinal and if you're over 35 years old, have a rectal (it's not that bad).

Also ask for lipogram, Haemoglobin (anaemia can make one dizzy) and blood sugar (HbA1c is the test for long term check). The doc will probably do some others as he sees fit.

Don't be shy to ask for a THOROUGH assessment - if he/she doesn't perform a clinical examination and touch you and take your blood pressure, he/she is a *** doctor. This is your life and this assessment will probably change your lifestyle for the better.

On that note, a message to ALL HUBBERS reading this:

No medical intervention (drugs/surgery/supplements/etc) is better than good lifestyle choices and disease prevention.

Look on the bright side OP, you're still a few years away from a necessary finger up the........... [emoji48]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Cardio vascular system should be prioritized ,then metabolic causes .The fact that this happens after intens exercize and happens when you change body and head position can also be caused by your vestibular organ ,inner ear ,or ever compression of blood vessels from head posture .Full detailed history is important .Neck injuries like you would get when playing rugby in the front row can cause compression of vessels .You mentioned that you have had vertigo before .Streneous exercise can cause relapses of benign vertigo .Give your GP n proper history of exactly what happens .

Ok first update, went to the doc, nice lady. Used alot of big words which i dont understand but i am off to a few (she ticked half the forms boxes) blood tests this morning. (for the amount of tests they might have to drain my body for enough blood) also they will do a test where they food me sugar and then keep taking blood to see the affect of it or something like that.

Doctor also concerned that its heart related. When tests results are back i will go for normal ECG and stressed ECG. Told her i only feel that way when i am doing looong endurance exercises so i doubt if a quick step test will show it but hey you never know.

She also said there are guys that does a 24hr ECG test where they mount a machine on you and you carry it around with you for a day.

Mentioned everything to her. (actually sat with this thread open and read from it  :whistling: )

Cheers to everyone and their opinions and i'll keep posting about my journey thats costing me more than an overseas holiday or a new bike for that matter. On the brightside maybe they find out im diabetic or something and thats why i am fat and there is a miracle drug i can take that will help me loose 10kilos a day or something.  :ph34r:

Cardio vascular system should be prioritized ,then metabolic causes .The fact that this happens after intens exercize and happens when you change body and head position can also be caused by your vestibular organ ,inner ear ,or ever compression of blood vessels from head posture .Full detailed history is important .Neck injuries like you would get when playing rugby in the front row can cause compression of vessels .You mentioned that you have had vertigo before .Streneous exercise can cause relapses of benign vertigo .Give your GP n proper history of exactly what happens .

How do you know i played front row.  :eek:

Haha, I find your response funny as I am also 30years old and up until recently I felt the same way. "Why do I need to go see a doctor, I'm stil young and fit."

Started getting a pain in my elbow a few months ago, ignored it for a bit until it got to the point where I couldn't even pick up small object without it being painful.Finally went to see my GP and the diagnosis TENNIS ELBOW! WTF!

Was dum struck at this news as "I'm suppose to be young, strong and fit". Was given an cortisone injection and told to take it easy.The injection took the pain away and I just said f@£k that, "I'm young and fit", and went back to my usual level of activity and intensity.

After about a month the pain started creeping back and got progressively worse again. Finally it dawned uppon me, "I'm not so young and fit anymore".

Even though we're still relatively young at 30, we aren't getting younger and we should start looking after our bodies and general health better.Warning signs that we would have dismissed in the past we should start giving attention to now as it might affect our future health.

Look on the bright side OP, you're still a few years away from a necessary finger up the........... [emoji48]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

hahaha yeah!! hopefully there are good advances in medicine and by the time we need a finger up the butt they can do a sonar or take a photo with an iphone or something...easier...

All the best lerouc. ...however I think it's best to have the beer after the ride. ..and not before the ride....???????????? a grap ne. ..????

How do you know i played front row:eek:

The fatter guys normally play in the front row :w00t:

ok grappie!!

Sterkte!!

hahaha yeah!! hopefully there are good advances in medicine and by the time we need a finger up the butt they can do a sonar or take a photo with an iphone or something...easier...

Snapscan is not really appropriate unless your nought is pixilated!

Good job Lerouc on going. I wonder if it might be possible to send you out on a marathon with a portable blood pressure machine and ecg attached? Maybe get one of those dischem ones?

While you are waiting - check out 2 terms: orthostatic hypotension and vasovagal response. Just to show that the obvious isn't always so obvious. Blitzer already mentioned the vestibular organ. Check it out.

Funny how medicine is always easier for the guys that are haters.

With your family history I will see a cardiologist for a full stress ECG and nothing less (unless you have many ducks).

Archived