Pure Savage

Alan, what cars are you looking at?

Well there the thing, every-time we find a car that we like that seems to have a good review (non are perfect) it either has a semi-auto or a CVT and a few like the Seat and VW have DSG. So if all those are costly and not reliable, the traditional (torque converter) auto is rare as hardly any cars we look at have it so hence i'm rather frustrated now. 

The reason for the auto is because...why not? Traffic can be a nightmare and so this makes things a little easier and also easier for the wife to drive as parking is tight here and its rather hilly so it will help her.

We have a manual Ford Fiesta 2009 at the moment and its a great little car but we need a second car an want something a little bigger as we have two kids. An SUV is a little out our budget and most are heavy on fuel and CO2 but have good boot space. So we are thinking af a larger hatch back like a Ford Focus where the boot is slightly bigger and if we need more space for lets say a holiday then we thinking of roof rails and fitting a box.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there the thing, every-time we find a car that we like that seems to have a good review (non are perfect) it either has a semi-auto or a CVT and a few like the Seat and VW have DSG. So if all those are costly and not reliable, the traditional (torque converter) auto is rare as hardly any cars we look at have it so hence i'm rather frustrated now. 

The reason for the auto is because...why not? Traffic can be a nightmare and so this makes things a little easier and also easier for the wife to drive as parking is tight here and its rather hilly so it will help her.

We have a manual Ford Fiesta 2009 at the moment and its a great little car but we need a second car an want something a little bigger as we have two kids. An SUV is a little out our budget and most are heavy on fuel and CO2 but have good boot space. So we are thinking af a larger hatch back like a Ford Focus where the boot is slightly bigger and if we need more space for lets say a holiday then we thinking of roof rails and fitting a box.

New or used?

Torque Converter aka Oupa Gearbox.

Most mainstream manufacturers are starting to move away form dual clutch setups and back to tourqe converter boxes.

These new auto boxes (all the 8speed stuff you keep seeing) are torque converter boxes., and are starting to be as efficient if not more than dual clutch boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used

Have you looked at an Audi Q5? They're becoming pretty affordable over here(not sure how the market looks on that side), and you get them in a Tiptronic.

Have you looked at an Audi Q5? They're becoming pretty affordable over here(not sure how the market looks on that side), and you get them in a Tiptronic.

I've seen a few of them but they have rather high mileage and older models like 2009/10 and the CO2 volume is large and here they are going to start clamping down on Co2 emissions with fines when entering cities.

just stay away from the 2.0 petrol and diesel.

There is a know oil consumption issue on them but Audi (not just in SA) most of the time won’t assist with the costs. And believe me it costs when things go belly up.

just stay away from the 2.0 petrol and diesel.

There is a know oil consumption issue on them but Audi (not just in SA) most of the time won’t assist with the costs. And believe me it costs when things go belly up.

AFAIK only the petrol had that problem. The diesel was pretty trouble-free.

You see, pretty much ruling out all of em..

I didn't know you guys will be paying in for emissions... Is it for secondhand vehicles as well, or just new cars?

AFAIK only the petrol had that problem. The diesel was pretty trouble-free.

yes but the tdi’s eat their turbos for breakfast.

Do not get Fords DSG equivalent that just ends in tears. They overheat in traffic.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

OK ...so I bought a 2016 Corolla ....1.6 cvt....is this just as bad as the others....????

I didn't know you guys will be paying in for emissions... Is it for secondhand vehicles as well, or just new cars?

Well its not very clear but from what i have read, its mainly the new cars and older model diesels they say will not be affected but im sure there will be fines for high co2 emission cars when entering cities in the future so its something to take into account when buying a car. We also would like to by for a long time as we don't know what our situation will be like in a few years.