Giant introduce new Anthem, Trance, XtC and Fathom mountain bikes

News bot

hmmmm now with Anthem having 120mm up front it will make the decision a little harder between Trance & Anthem ...which one will be the GoTo ride all day bike ??

Both...

LOL. I'd still go with Trance. It's the more "all rounder" of the lineup. Anthem is still an XC bike, but now with added gnar-flavour. Trance now has 150mm up front, and will happily tootle along all day every day on your local XC loop, and eat up the trail when it gets fast and techy. 

If you're looking at ONE bike from the Giant stable - the answer is and always has been - TRANCE. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya i have a Trance and kinda agree, but i also had an anthem before but with only 100mm so with 120mm it could be interesting....i would like to check out there new Carbon rims  :drool:

ya i have a Trance and kinda agree, but i also had an anthem before but with only 100mm so with 120mm it could be interesting....i would like to check out there new Carbon rims  :drool:

Same. Waiting for a ride report from someone on Pinkbike. 33mm internal, afaik. 

Could be the way to go, depending on price and availability

was just checking specs and there is only 1deg diff in headset angle between them. and the Anthem SX comes with 130mm front.... :whistling:

1 degree is quite a bit... but I think for that type of bike, 66/67 is the sweet spot. 

Remember the Anthem came down from a VERY steep 70 deg or something, so it's a very good change. 

Both...

LOL. I'd still go with Trance. It's the more "all rounder" of the lineup. Anthem is still an XC bike, but now with added gnar-flavour. Trance now has 150mm up front, and will happily tootle along all day every day on your local XC loop, and eat up the trail when it gets fast and techy. 

If you're looking at ONE bike from the Giant stable - the answer is and always has been - TRANCE. 

Myles, I sort of disagree. I think. I have a Trance and love it, but I recently bought a second hand 29er Anthem (for my wife :whistling: ) and rode both bikes this past weekend in the Cederberg - gravel roads. The Anthem has a massive advantage over the Trance for that type of riding.

Before upgrading to my Trance I had a 26er Anthem, and while the Trance is undoubtedly a better bike and a lot more fun to ride, I am not much faster on it on the downhill stuff than on the 26er Anthem.

So what I'm getting at, is IMO the one ideal Giant bike  for allround riding would be a 120mm travel 27.5 Anthem.

Myles, I sort of disagree. I think. I have a Trance and love it, but I recently bought a second hand 29er Anthem (for my wife :whistling: ) and rode both bikes this past weekend in the Cederberg - gravel roads. The Anthem has a massive advantage over the Trance for that type of riding.

Before upgrading to my Trance I had a 26er Anthem, and while the Trance is undoubtedly a better bike and a lot more fun to ride, I am not much faster on it on the downhill stuff than on the 26er Anthem.

So what I'm getting at, is IMO the one ideal Giant bike  for allround riding would be a 120mm travel 27.5 Anthem.

Dirt roadie...

:P

But yes - agreed. If you'd had higher volume tyres on the 650 it would have been fine and the rollover characteristics would have been more or less the same. 

Gearing also an issue, but yeah. 

For gravel and gravel only, I'd agree that a niner XC bike is the ideal choice. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

i was exactly same changed from 26er Anthem to Trance...but now might consider going back to New Anthem ...proof is in the Riding i suppose.

i was exactly same changed from 26er Anthem to Trance...but now might consider going back to New Anthem ...proof is in the Riding i suppose.

just consider whether an update to some of the componentry on the trance won't result in the same net result... A volume spacer here, tyre selection there...

Just saying. 

just consider whether an update to some of the componentry on the trance won't result in the same net result... A volume spacer here, tyre selection there...

Just saying. 

i hear what you are saying, but there are also new Geometry changes on both of them as well so its not just swopping bike for bike..theres newer technology to be had  :clap: