[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

As you mention they are both flat and fast and similar routes and profiles etc. Will largely depend on the weather/wind on the day. As an example I did Emperors in 2:20 and Carnival in 2:30 both in VC this year but the last bit was into quite a strong headwind at Carnival if memory serves me

Prevailing winds usually means a head/cross-head wind for the final 15km. Anywhere from NW-NNE and it's into the wind.

If the beasterly easterly blows, like it did in Feb last year, then I'm happy as it splits the groups coming into the finish which is safer for all.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of numbers are you talking about?

Satellite this weekend had 5000 over all cats...your event is years ahead in terms of well....everything

Keep doing the good work....word of mouth will pay off

I mentioned this in the Satellite Classic thread, where there were <2500 times results. I doubt they had 5000 entries.

The biggest race in Gauteng (excluding the 947) held earlier in the year had less than 5000 online entries, and the times results is very close.

At best, I would guess max 3000 people at the Satellite Classic, which is very good for them.

Edit: timed results, not times

Edited by geraldm24

Hi Gerald,

Been trying to enter the MTB event, but can not get into the site with the link provided.

Any other way to enter, as I see it is closing today ?

A brief route description for both MTB and Road events.

The MTB routes will be uploaded later today, and GPX files will be available next week.

The route maps for the MTB are now available to view on the website.

The 60 Km route is measured at 60.6 Km

The 30 Km route is measured at 33.1 Km

This is the official planned route, and is subject to change based on weather conditions. Worst case, the route can be 54Km (60Km) or 32Km (30Km) event.

Hi Gerald,

Been trying to enter the MTB event, but can not get into the site with the link provided.

Any other way to enter, as I see it is closing today ?

Click here for the MTB event. Link disabled

Send me a PM if you don't come right.

Edited by geraldm24

Thanks to everyone that has pre-entered the event - we have exceeded our pre-entries compared to February, by 1 (woo-hoo!), for the road events only.

edit: that's without counting the manual entries submitted to Cycle Events last night and this morning.

Now it's up to Cycle Events to finish the seeding run, print numbers (maybe one day we'll get passed this point) and then pack everything for number collection next week.

Number collection is as follows:

• Wednesday, 02 November - Bicycle Company, Centurion (09:00 - 17:00);
  • Thursday, 03 November - Cyclelab Megastore, Fourways (09:00 - 17:00);
  • Friday, 04 November - Tour de Frans Cycles, Boksburg (09:00 - 17:00);
  • Saturday, 05 November - Carnival City (05:30 - 14:00).

Anyone doing the MTB and Road event can collect their numbers on Saturday morning before the MTB race starts. Get there early if you are planning to do so.

The following information can be viewed on the website (click on the link to open each page):

* Please note that this is an outdoor event and the weather can influence the tracks we've planned to use. For rider safety, we may revert to the backup route if the severe thunderstorms cause damage to sections of the route.

Edited by geraldm24

Now number collection is going to be a challenge for me. Only arrive in Jozi on the Friday evening, so will have to make the trek to Carnival on Saturday morning from Midrand, and then again on Sunday :thumbdown:

Now number collection is going to be a challenge for me. Only arrive in Jozi on the Friday evening, so will have to make the trek to Carnival on Saturday morning from Midrand, and then again on Sunday :thumbdown:

Or you can speak to me and collect from my secret box

After last night's rain - road is easy, most of the cars help disperse the water, but MTB is a bit more challenging and a whole lot more fun (getting dirty).

ef55f0b58eb8d8567f609999012b0bac.jpg

Hi Gerald, I've tried to look on Racetec what was the previous years times but couldn't get any info. I assume it wasn't timed by Racetec before?

Is it possible to give me the winners time and A bunch time for Febs race?

Hi Gerald, I've tried to look on Racetec what was the previous years times but couldn't get any info. I assume it wasn't timed by Racetec before?

It was previously timed by Championchip.

A-bunch times are +- 2h30 -2h35 for the 102-105 km.

Not too sure about the Elites winning times, I think they were held up by a taxi accident or something

Go to: http://www.championchip.co.za/Latest%20Results.htm

Elites did the 121Km (also Juniors, VA and VB)

Select the distance, and then the batch to get the times for each group.

post-1372-0-97101600-1477577890_thumb.png