Onza tires leaking

Frank.Hutt

I have put Onza tires on Rapide rims using Ryder sealant at recommended amount of 125ml per wheel - 29er. After 2 rides noticed Canis on rear is losing pressure overnight (run at 1.6 and drops to 1) Ibex on front is fine. Both are 120tpi as per label although the Canis sidewall feels thinner. Did a test and saw leakage is through sidewall, very slight and in many places.

So...do I add more sealant or try get a replacement?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sepia said. Keep it pumped hard and store it over night on the side that is leaking. You can keep it level if you put it on top of a box or a bucket. It should eventually seal.

Those 120TPI Canis sidewalls are very thin - it's the lightweight paper-thin XC Race version, so it's not surprising that they're leaking air and sealant. You'll need to keep them topped up and inflate tehm every so often until the sealant forms enough of a barrier inside the tyres. 

Should have bought the 60tpi. 

Correction...both are 60tpi as per Myles recommendation from other older posts.but Canis definitely feels thinner during my fiddling earlier...Sunday brain...

I have done as suggested so will have to see. Pumped rear to 2.5 bar and did a quick bouncy loop. Thanks for responses.

Seal and valve all good. Definitely leaking through sidewall. Just checked and seems to be better after top up of sealant.

this worked for me with a rocket ron that would't seal last week. first time i gone tubeless and the racing ralph sealed fine but not the rr. checked everything many times. then added more sealant and let it lie totally flat on one side overnight. then added more sealant and let it lie flat overnight again on the other side. finally it sealed.

What sepia said. Keep it pumped hard and store it over night on the side that is leaking. You can keep it level if you put it on top of a box or a bucket. It should eventually seal.

Seal and valve all good. Definitely leaking through sidewall. Just checked and seems to be better after top up of sealant.

I have also seen an new Onza leak through the sidewall, the remedy was as mentioned by others to top up sealent and leave on its side overnight.You can throw in more sealant than the recommended amount, those few grams wont make you slower.

I would also recommend using a thicker type sealant for the first week or two to get it sealed, something like sludge or puncturefree works like a charm.

this worked for me with a rocket ron that would't seal last week. first time i gone tubeless and the racing ralph sealed fine but not the rr. checked everything many times. then added more sealant and let it lie totally flat on one side overnight. then added more sealant and let it lie flat overnight again on the other side. finally it sealed.

Had the exact same issue with a RR before aswell and used the same method as mentioned above for Onza.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

The Canis up until recently only came in the C3 XC casing in 27.5 and 29. The Ibex has a much heavier casing and therefore won't leak as much (if any) sealant, and also needs less pressure.

Good news is that the FRC Canis lands shortly, so you'll have a choice.

Seems to be a common issue with the Canis tyres lately.  Had a set of Canis 60 TPI's on my previous bike which did 2000+km without missing a beat and were sold on the bike.  Liked them so much that I fitted them to the bike I bought last year and recommended them to a few mates.  We've all been struggling with leaking sidewalls and slow pressure loss despite doing our tubeless setups & tyre pressures the way we've done them for the last few years.

Took it up with RushSports because it's not the standard we've been used to from Onza tyres, and their reply was to add more sealant and run the wheels at higher pressures.

It would make sense if it was maybe just me having the problem and after I'd made a change to the way I setup my wheels, but myself + two mates, all who haven't changed their setups kinda points to the tyres being gimpy rather than wheels setup.

This type of thing can happy with any tire. Seems a bit random, maybe a problem with some batches of tires and the manufacturing process.

If the tire is new, it will get better, so no problems. If the tires are old and it starts, it will get worse. Have to change at some point.

• 7 months later...

i have fitted a brand new ONZA tyre and the first 1 had a packaging tear in the sidewall, which the bike shop swapped out as i noticed it immediately. the replacement however is leaking as per the comments, i think is BS that a brand new tyre can leak air through the side wall.

Been running onza for quite a while now and never had this issue.

Got the Citrus and Ibex both in the super thick casing tho. I also don't use stans or joes or whatever they sell in bikeshops.

I use "survival" get it at most Moto-x stores , seals good but even better on bigger holes