Onza tires leaking

Frank.Hutt

oh, absolutely. I'm done with thin sidewalls. Even snakeskin / grid / FRC casings aren't gonna make the grade when I get a new set of tyres. 

One word for you: VITTORIA  :whistling:  :ph34r:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you, and I'm glad the store replaced the first set for you. As far as leaking through the sidewall from new, remember almost all tyres on the market these days are "tubeless ready", the days of UST tyres are done. Tubeless ready essentially means a tubeless bead to seal up against the rim, with a lightweight casing that requires sealant in order to seal any porous holes. Due to variation in the rubber penetration / adhesion to the casing / carcass in manufacture this can vary from one tyre to the next, even out of the same production run. Another thing to take into consideration is sealant, now while a thicker sealant "may" work more effectively to seal larger sidewall cuts, generally its consistency is too thick to seal these small porous holes within the casing that are easily sealed by thinner latex sealants. One of the biggest difficulties we have in pinpointing these "problems" is the huge variety of sealants prevalent in the SA market, not to mention the "home made" styles, and "value" products that are often purchased in huge volumes for the workshop.

Sealant itself is also a complicated issue... as I mentioned, too thick and it doesn't seal small holes, but too thin, or not with sufficient binding agents / latex etc and it doesn't work either. As a sealant supplier ourselves, we insist on not producing or offering sealant in QTY larger than 2.5l as anything larger than this is simply impossible to shake adequately in order to properly distribute and mix the particles contained within the sealant. Additionally, we outright refuse to compromise the performance of our sealant by manipulating the recipe and reducing some of the costly ingredients.

Bottom line: ensure rim and rim tape are in good condition and clean prior to mounting. Use a good quality latex sealant. Pump to the MFG suggest pressure. Ensure the tyre is correctly and evenly seated. Shake and rotate the tyre to distribute the sealant. After all this you may experience a drop in pressure for the first day or two, and in-between long periods of inactivity, but this is completely normal.

^^ Latex definitely isn't the "be all", its just far superior at sealing small holes within the tyre casing.

in your detailed response, where could one buy your stores sealant as you don't sell to public 

in your detailed response, where could one buy your stores sealant as you don't sell to public 

Sorry Jason, I didn't want to be punting brands. I like to stay neutral... our sealant can be purchase through most leading bike stores across the country, and event stores who may not stock it will certainly be able to order it.

Sorry Jason, I didn't want to be punting brands. I like to stay neutral... our sealant can be purchase through most leading bike stores across the country, and event stores who may not stock it will certainly be able to order it.

Is  Batseal the the sealant that you're mentioning about?

That would be correct ;)

Hi last Q

Found a store that i'm visiting today (Trailwolf) 

Last Q: Whats Batseal's reaction to CO2, Positive?

Hi last Q

Found a store that i'm visiting today (Trailwolf) 

Last Q: Whats Batseal's reaction to CO2, Positive?

No sealant reacts well to CO2 to be honest. Best is always to frequently check your sealant, and in the event of inflating your tyre, whether using pump, compressor or CO2, do so with the valve at the top of the wheel ;)

• 3 years later...

Same issue on my Ibex. 60TPI FRC

The bike sat for about two weeks and i could see streaks of sealant on the sidewalls forming as well as a few droplets.

Ran both at 30psi yesterday on mix of tar and dirt. This morning i’m down to 15psi on both.

Running 120ml of Stans. Yesterday was the third ride with tyres. Total of 90km done.

Should I just wait a little longer?

Edited by DR ◣◢

Wierd, did’nt have this issue on my set. Jewbacca has them on his bike now, maybe he can weigh in. Is it leaking at the bead or through the sidewall? Maybe its a rim interface/tyre bead combo issue? I did notice that they do NOT like to be run under 2 bar ( as per the sidewall text)...but they have a softer more supple sidewall than the schwalbes they replaced...which i ran at 1.6bar easily. So they felt similar even at higher pressure. But they tend to want to burp under 2bar when you rail them real hard in a corner.

Ps: i’m 80kg ish before kit. Im assuming they’ll need to be a bit firmer if you are carrying a bit more weight.

Edited by morneS555

I have Ibex front and rear on 2 bikes... I haven't experienced any weeping.

Try pumping them up to 3 bar with the wheels off the bike and doing the 'shake n swish' on each side?

I do that when I mount tires by habit and the only weepers I've had in the last 10 years were some Continental x-kings.

They were rubbish tires in all aspects underneath me (some people love them) so I gave them away. I lie, they were the best smelling tires I have ever owned.

The Onza Ibex though have been good at retaining air etc... Despite having them on 2 bikes, I am not 100% sold on the tire, but my gripes are minor and probably come back to my hacking than the actual tire.

Is  Batseal the the sealant that you're mentioning about?

I'll never used Bat Seal, BATS CAUSED havoc worldwide this year :ph34r:

Same issue on my Ibex. 60TPI FRC

The bike sat for about two weeks and i could see streaks of sealant on the sidewalls forming as well as a few droplets.

Ran both at 30psi yesterday on mix of tar and dirt. This morning i’m down to 15psi on both.

Running 120ml of Stans. Yesterday was the third ride with tyres. Total of 90km done.

Should I just wait a little longer?

I'll definitely take it off and have them replaced. Mine is still leaking from December last year. Sometimes tire holds the pressure but sometimes it holds pressure for a week (more times deflating than holding pressure) and like someone posted, they are quite expensive and now sit with non trusty tire.

And when it stopped leaking and I wash my bike it starts leaking again.

Edited by BSG

I’ve got a trip coming up and sending them back at this time is not and option.

To be honest i don’t mind getting my pressure 100% correct for a ride so a bit of air loss isn’t the worst.

I’ll see how i feels when i get back. For today’s ride it held up 100%. Will see where we are tomorrow morning.