Do I really need a new bike...

ebenvn

Hi everyone,

Without going into details, I know the obvious answer is: "yes, obviously" :thumbup:  - but none the less, here's the question: 

I have a 2010 Epic Comp Carbon as below (groupset and wheels upgraded to XTR) which is still in good condition. I'm planning to do the Jhb2C next year. 

I know the Epic is more a XC racer, and probably not the most comfortable option for it - so wondering if I go to something like a 2016 Camper Comp Carbon 29er, would it make a massive difference? 

Thanks for the opinions

http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/specialized-epic-comp-carbon-2010-mountain-bike.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things in life you "need" to do;..1)Eat 2)Poo.....Next demon to face is, "I Want",....from personal "you're the weakest link" experience,..just feed the latter ????????????

So you want to buy a brand new bike just for a race? Doesn't seem like a great idea unless you have very deep pockets.

Hi everyone,

Without going into details, I know the obvious answer is: "yes, obviously" :thumbup:  - but none the less, here's the question: 

I have a 2010 Epic Comp Carbon as below (groupset and wheels upgraded to XTR) which is still in good condition. I'm planning to do the Jhb2C next year. 

I know the Epic is more a XC racer, and probably not the most comfortable option for it - so wondering if I go to something like a 2016 Camper Comp Carbon 29er, would it make a massive difference? 

Thanks for the opinions

Hi,

There are several valid and very real reasons why it would make a difference. The jump to a 29er alone will be reason enough and then add in the fact that bikes and tech have come a long way the last 6 years. 

Camber will be better suited to avg Joe and even more so on a stage race. You will however still be able to finish the race and enjoy it on the bike you have. Maybe keep the bike and use that extra cash to go on a mtb trip or something like that. 

1. The Camber will be night and day from what you have

2. That alone is not always reason to do it.

In summary: That's a firm maybe from me.  ;)

Eisj ... the first world problems we have to struggle with on a daily basis. ..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Hi,

There are several valid and very real reasons why it would make a difference. The jump to a 29er alone will be reason enough and then add in the fact that bikes and tech have come a long way the last 6 years. 

Camber will be better suited to avg Joe and even more so on a stage race. You will however still be able to finish the race and enjoy it on the bike you have. Maybe keep the bike and use that extra cash to go on a mtb trip or something like that. 

1. The Camber will be night and day from what you have

2. That alone is not always reason to do it.

In summary: That's a firm maybe from me.  ;)

Iwan is right. There is more than enough justification for you to buy a new bike. Bottom line should be if you can afford it at this point in time.

Why would you want another specialized?

#Newton#Never#had#to#answer#tothis#opposite#equal????????

If you are asking whether you should buy a new bike you are an amateur and we can't be friends.

You always need a new bike.

Whether you should get one is a different topic altogether.

Archived