Thule bike rack damaged and no spares from Thule

KevinG

Recently reversed into a tree stump and broke the clips that hold the folding section of the rack in place. Problem, you cannot get them as spares and without them the rack is pretty much useless. Anybody have a solution for me?

Anybody got an accident damaged rack they have that I can buy for spares?

post-5599-0-61475500-1468419101_thumb.jpg

post-5599-0-03834200-1468419111_thumb.jpg

post-5599-0-78441500-1468419115_thumb.jpg

post-5599-0-40035600-1468419253_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinG

You could get the heavy duty cable-ties and strap it in place and lose the folding functionality as a temporary measure. 

Apparently THULE strictly refuses to provide replacement hooks due to "safety issues" they say ! They even don't propose to have them replaced by a retailer.

There was somebody on here a while ago that was offering a 3D printing service. Those would be a doddle to draw up amd print... obviously at your own risk!

I'm guessing that the rack wasn't specified on your insurance policy......

Thule are a very easy to use well thought out product but if you break something you have to make a plan. They don't help at all. I had a problem with one years ago. Ended up replacing bolts at a hardware store and using webbing straps from backpacking to secure the wheels.

It left a bad taste. I'm in the market for a new rack and I'm looking for alternatives.

I've had countless "incidents" with my Thule and not once it was a problem at Thule Woodmead. Phone them, they'll sort you out.

Apparently THULE strictly refuses to provide replacement hooks due to "safety issues" they say ! T[/size]hey even don't propose to have them replaced by a retailer.[/size]

Have had mine repaired by Thule. Took it into Umhlanga....rack went to Thule HQ (ok based in Natal). Got back two days later, repaired (replaced the broken parts). The repair wasn't cheap though, about 3k, but considering, the racks are double that in price, for me it was a no brainer, and insurance picked up the bill with a smile.

Hope you come right

Edited by RockHound

Recently reversed into a tree stump and broke the clips that hold the folding section of the rack in place. Problem, you cannot get them as spares and without them the rack is pretty much useless. Anybody have a solution for me?

Hi Kevin, please email support@thule.co.za and we'll let you know what the solution is. Thanks

We can laser sinter( 3d print) replacements in Pa220 Nylon, which is a very tough material. It is just not as tough as the fibre reinforced plastic of the originals.

We can reverse engineer the originals and 3D print as many as you like.

We can laser sinter( 3d print) replacements in Pa220 Nylon, which is a very tough material. It is just not as tough as the fibre reinforced plastic of the originals.

We can reverse engineer the originals and 3D print as many as you like.

Hi Josh, can you give me an idea of costing to 3D print these? Also where are you based if I want to get them to you.

Thanks.

Try a different Thule outlet.

I had tried two dealers who couldn't make my roof racks fit on my Brio. 

Out of desperation I went to the one in Willowbridge about a month ago and all they needed to do to make it fit was get different rubber blocks from the head office in JHB and now I have a perfectly working system.  They didn't even charge me anything.

Hi Josh, can you give me an idea of costing to 3D print these? Also where are you based if I want to get them to you.

Thanks.

Hi Kevin

I PM'ed you.