Helmet Time: Bell Super 2R MIPS ?

SeanGrey

Hey Guys

So I have an old Specialized MTB helmet that fits great and is going to be used for road use (for now). I want to start doing Enduro events here in the Western Cape and would like a helmet with more coverage. 

I tried on a Bell Stoker (my heads 59cm) in a Medium very strange fit compared to my helmet I have now and a Giro was very narrow i found. 

Cant find a Bell Super 2r Mips anywhere in CT to try on and have read the forum about stockists not thinking they would sell here. Does anyone here have one? Medium is 55-59cm and large 58-62cm. (Im 59cm) 

Would want a medium could always pay to post it back and swap online but trying to avoid that. Think Large will be like a fish bowl and don't like that top heavy sort of look. Would be great if I could try them on but cant. If anyone has one let me know how the MIPS ones fit? Maybe a similar style bell here in CT i could try for size? 

OR

should I rather go for a helmet here I can try on? Have not done any Enduro events not sure if guys just all wear XC/ALL Mountain type helmets and not full face anyways. Reason I would like the full face is some added protection (even if not DHrated) as i start getting better and practicing more advanced routes. 

post-92794-0-82014700-1470413732_thumb.png

Raydek has a medium, and is based around the DBVille trails. Send him a personal message and see if you can try his on.

FWIW there's a few going for sale on jensonUSA at the moment. $140 for the 2R mips. Even with shipping and duties, it's *** cheap compared to local options. 

I have the non-mips version but to comment on your thoughts about added protection...I can't imagine life without it now...like life before and after dropper posts. It works great for enduros and on any day out. You don't want to ride all day with a full face and I feel much more confident on the downs with it on. A breeze to remove and fit as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late but thanks for the replies guys. Ended up holding my breath and ordering a medium mips. 59cm head. Fits perfectly so happy with it. The best thing iv bought in a long time,. Added protection when needed and as said above dont have to carry around 2 helmets. Thanks guys 

The Lazer Revolution is fully dh certified, but its tough to find the one that actually ships with the jaw piece (which is optional) as most of them ship with waterpolo style ear protectors.

I've got the 2R MIPS but not with a chin bar. I was just going to buy the chin bar later, but recently been reading that the chin bar isn't that great (and isn't downhill rated if thats a thing for you). Otherwise its a great trail helmet though, nice protection around back of head, but mixed reports if it fits or not - luckily it fits me well when many other helmets don't (661, POC etc I can't wear).

I'm probably going to just get a separate full face now, rather than convertible, but will check out the Giro once it hits the stores.

I've got the 2R MIPS but not with a chin bar. I was just going to buy the chin bar later, but recently been reading that the chin bar isn't that great (and isn't downhill rated if thats a thing for you). Otherwise its a great trail helmet though, nice protection around back of head, but mixed reports if it fits or not - luckily it fits me well when many other helmets don't (661, POC etc I can't wear).

I'm probably going to just get a separate full face now, rather than convertible, but will check out the Giro once it hits the stores.

Medium fits me really well and other brands Giro Feature doesn't fit at all. Really comfortable as well but did remove the plastic side tabs. Did loads of research before I made the purchase. The trails I enjoy are technical filled with roots and rocks and I do like trying to go as fast as i can. I don't do any downhill racing or events and would like to do the Enduro events soon. The chinbar which i have is not rated for downhill and you cant really compare it to a full face lid. That's not what it was made for I believe. Many do enduro events with XC all mountain helmets. I don't want to carry two helmets and don't PERSONALLY think I need a proper full face DH rated helmet for those events. What I do need is something to add a little extra protection to my face/mouth/teeth and with the bell thats all it is. A great helmet for riding up hills, long XC sort of rides and then the chinbar for a little added protection on the downhill. If you're going at DH speeds into a tree or rocks and crash the helmet will not protect you like a full face will but then maybe go for a full face If thats what/how you ride. 

I'd say if you have the lid already and have some spare cash order the chinbar, always nice to have the option of strapping it to your bag and not having to take a FF on rides that wont be too hardcore but may include DH technical single track. 

I would go one of two routes - the bell with chinbar or a lighter cross country lid with full face. Just not good enough yet to need the FF 

Medium fits me really well and other brands Giro Feature doesn't fit at all. Really comfortable as well but did remove the plastic side tabs. Did loads of research before I made the purchase. The trails I enjoy are technical filled with roots and rocks and I do like trying to go as fast as i can. I don't do any downhill racing or events and would like to do the Enduro events soon. The chinbar which i have is not rated for downhill and you cant really compare it to a full face lid. That's not what it was made for I believe. Many do enduro events with XC all mountain helmets. I don't want to carry two helmets and don't PERSONALLY think I need a proper full face DH rated helmet for those events. What I do need is something to add a little extra protection to my face/mouth/teeth and with the bell thats all it is. A great helmet for riding up hills, long XC sort of rides and then the chinbar for a little added protection on the downhill. If you're going at DH speeds into a tree or rocks and crash the helmet will not protect you like a full face will but then maybe go for a full face If thats what/how you ride. 

I'd say if you have the lid already and have some spare cash order the chinbar, always nice to have the option of strapping it to your bag and not having to take a FF on rides that wont be too hardcore but may include DH technical single track. 

I would go one of two routes - the bell with chinbar or a lighter cross country lid with full face. Just not good enough yet to need the FF 

Your thoughts echo mine. Just not the last part that says that you need to be a "good" rider to need a FF lid..

Indeed, and hence why I havent bought myself the 2R as yet. I have the older one but the fact that the chinbar isnt rated is a bit off putting. Which is why I also like the one piece construction of a full face, but not the sauna like experience