Help!I am new to biking

WimpieC83

Hi there,

I am new to biking, so new that I do not have a bike as yet. What would you recommend I buy as a first bike and secondly how much should I be prepared to pay?

Any guidnce would be appreciated. New or secondhand?

Thanks.

Welcome to the dark world of 2 wheels. Before anyone can advise, you need to tell us are you intending to get into road or off road and a budget will help. You can pay anything from R1000 for a Makro special right up to R150 000 for something really special.

Welcome. Well done on the decision.

Lots of people here will be prepared to give lots of advice. Remember it's all from their own point of view and a lot of it will be people trying to convert you to their own way of seeing and doing things. Take everything with a pinch of salt. Including this advice

First thing is give a little more information about yourself. Why cycling for example. What is your current state of health. What is your budget? What do you wish to achieve if anything? What sport do you do now? How old and how active are you? That type of thing.

Firstly stay away from large retail stores that sell recreational beachfront bikes, they are an utter waste of money.

You haven't indicated whether you prefer road, mountain biking, downhill enduro type riding or bmx, each of the above disciplines require a different bike, however you could use a mtb on the road or for enduro.

Look for a good secondhand bicycle, there is often great deals on the hub.

Tell us a little more about the type of riding you anticipate doing and we'll gladly point you in the right direction.

T

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I am 33, quite fit, gym 6 days a week. Reason for biking is I would like to do something that is active, but outdoors.

I think that offroad is what I have in mind.

Budget is difficult, I do not have one as yet. I am scared to pay too much, just now I do not like it, but at the same te dont want to buy crap and decide it is not for me because I have a bad product.

This is partly why I resorted to a forum...

you know your way around a gym, obviously. I would reccomend regular spinning if you are not already doing so. While deciding on a bike and so on it makes sense to start working on cycling specific fitness so when you get the bike you have a bit of a start.

It has been ages since I used my MTB bike so I will leave the rest of it to people familiar with that side of cycling.

If you still unsure then I would go with getting a good 2nd hand bike that later you can upgrade or sell.

I would say go rent to some trails that rent bikes amd test it out for a few rides before you decide to spend any money and realize its not for you.

Remember you will need money for apparel like shorts, helmut, shoes, gloves....etc

I would say go rent to some trails that rent bikes amd test it out for a few rides before you decide to spend any money and realize its not for you.

Remember you will need money for apparel like shorts, helmut, shoes, gloves....etc

:whistling:

Welcome, newbie'

Here's an idea:

Don't spend money just yet

Maybe borrow a generous friend's bike and check out the vibes

If the bug bites, then you go and invest

Some love it

Some sell their goods within weeks

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I am 33, quite fit, gym 6 days a week. Reason for biking is I would like to do something that is active, but outdoors.

I think that offroad is what I have in mind.

Budget is difficult, I do not have one as yet. I am scared to pay too much, just now I do not like it, but at the same te dont want to buy crap and decide it is not for me because I have a bad product.

This is partly why I resorted to a forum...

I see that you're in Gauteng, hit up our fellow bikehubbers Robodog and Divernick. Both pretty active on here and both will be able to offer loads of good advice. Robodog also runs a local bike shop (lbs - you might want to learn the lingo too) called the Trailhead and could potentially assist with a rental to help with making up your mind.

A very decent mountain bike (without a rear shock called a hardtail) will start at around 10k and that's not including the kit you'll need. Helmet, jersey (really a shirt), padded shorts and a pair of gloves. Preferably two each of the jersey, shorts and gloves. That's an additional 3k. Conservatively you'll need about 13 - 15k to get started but it is well worth it!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Welcome. There will be a lot of advice, so I will just sit back and try to learn something here myself.

I am far too inexperienced to offer any other advice but Red Barn and Rosemary Hill have bikes for hire to use on their trails so you can see if you enjoy it.

Archived