Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Shhhhhhh you giving me fomo for my own idea....

have the bora's seen sbr yet ????????????

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

think they open about 6:50am ish

thx! I am like an old diesel. I need to warm up and dont enjoy tackling that first hill from the main parking area on cold legs. Besides i am looking forward to the extra kms.

Frosty, according to the guard at the gate, they open at 7am 365 days a year if the place isn't on fire.

So yesterday's was a massive rude awakening for me. That place has some major hills and sharp corners on the downhill. I missed the apex and when off the road right at mile marker 5. Luckily for me the grass being to long broke my fall and crash. Maybe because I am a back of the pack rider I don't have the same mentality as the pros but I don't understand how the two pros in front of me when I crashed never even slowed down or anything.

Luckily nothing broke

Frosty, according to the guard at the gate, they open at 7am 365 days a year if the place isn't on fire.

So yesterday's was a massive rude awakening for me. That place has some major hills and sharp corners on the downhill. I missed the apex and when off the road right at mile marker 5. Luckily for me the grass being to long broke my fall and crash. Maybe because I am a back of the pack rider I don't have the same mentality as the pros but I don't understand how the two pros in front of me when I crashed never even slowed down or anything.

Luckily nothing broke

sbr is always a rude awakening the first you ride it. For me personally I find it tough. There's never much respite,it's mostly either up or down . And as you found out pretty fast & tricky when its points down. If they saw you fall that's pretty k@k not to make sure you still alive ????. How do you know they were pro's ?

I suffer everytime I go there and question my sanity.

So I know it's tough,but was thinking whilst riding there today. How tough?

How do the top riders rate it ? Not pro's but seasoned team riders .

Poor form on the guys if they saw you crash ????????

Luckily nothing broke

thanks for confirmation (365 days).

Hard luck on your crash - luckily you seem to be okay.

If the guys were in front of you, how could they help... or did you go racing passed them and then crash?

do the gates open that early at the circus ? We got there last Sunday at 6:50am and gates had just opened well at least I think so.

Am planning on doing circus sbr circus on Sunday, but at jurgens and Ryan's pace

You should have joined us. Your lap time wasn't much off ours

I think he means that he doesn't understand how they didn't slow down for the same corner and took it at higher speeds without crashing, maybe?

i thought the same thing when reading it first ...but when he said luckily nothing broke . Am confused but that's nothing out of the ordinary ????

You should have joined us. Your lap time wasn't much off ours

lol,that's funny ???? ???????????? dude. You guys would of killed me,was at my limit already ????

What's the round trip distance from the Circus? (including a lap of SBR) And the road there and back okay?

And ja, one needs a serias opknapper to help you up that first climb from the car park

What's the round trip distance from the Circus? (including a lap of SBR) And the road there and back okay?

And ja, one needs a serias opknapper to help you up that first climb from the car park

83km 1400m climbing.

Road there and back is good compared to most JHB roads, no shoulder but very few cars. Nice and flat so good warm up and cool down.

I heard some jobergers talking about suikerbosrand last weekend and found the segment on strava.  1200m is alot of climbing for a 57km loop.  The steepest gradient I found was only 13.7% If Im not mistaken.  The gradients seem fine, but I think the combination of the altitude and the lack of any flats to recover would hurt most people :w00t: .  I would be keen to give this ride a go.  The scenery looks amazing

Edited by blondeonabike

I heard some jobergers talking about suikerbosrand last weekend and found the segment on strava. 1200m is alot of climbing for a 57km loop. The steepest gradient I found was only 13.7% If Im not mistaken. The gradients seem fine, but I think the combination of the altitude and the lack of any flats to recover would hurt most people :w00t: . I would be keen to give this ride a go. The scenery looks amazing

And the wind!!

But the lack of Joburg drivers makes it so pleasant.