My real wheel pulls left into my frame

Reghardt van Rensburg

Check that the conical springs on the axle are correctly oriented. The bigger end should be on the outside. Have seen plenty cases where being fitted wrong way around causes misalignment of the wheel.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What skewers do you have?

The standard one's that came with the wheels, or fancy lightweight one's?

I had the same issue, tightened the skewers so tight that I struggled to release them again, and the wheel still moved to the left and rubbed the tire.

Replaced my fancy lightweight KCNC skewers with the original American Classic one's, problem solved.

Worth checking out.

If its carbon it unlikely that the frame is made skew .

The best is to take it back to your supplier whom should be able to check by placing a loose axel into the dropouts ,it can then be readily seen as not sitting square .

this can be checked bymeasuring  the centre of the axel to the bb shell on both sides

if its built skew and its carbon you should get a replacement .

If its ali a small amount of "bending" can be accomadated .

Otherwise its the cones ,.but big  sideways does not sound like cones

My real wheel pulls left into my frame. This is a new bike - i've had it under previous heavy loads and have done about 400km on it now. Suddenly just now I heard the tire rubbing the frame. The quick release was correcly stiff. I've tried to make it even more still. But the wheel still moves. Even while i sit still on it - with a light pedal holding the brakes it moves about 3cm into the frame

So OP, did you take the bike in to your Lbs and what was the verdict?

I'm quite interested in what they said as it could apparently be anything from loose cones to skewly made frames.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I bought a Specialized Diverge elite with rear dropouts that is .9 mm out of alignment. It results in a 2.33 mm difference at the top of seatstays where the tyre passes. It is very noticeable especially with fatter tyres. The frame went back to them, they acknowledged the discrepancy but then decided rather one-sided that it is "an acceptable tolerance"

Edited by Jonkie

I bought a Specialized Diverge elite with rear dropouts that is .9 mm out of alignment. It results in a 2.33 mm difference at the top of seatstays where the tyre passes. It is very noticeable especially with fatter tyres. The frame went back to them, they acknowledged the discrepancy but then decided rather one-sided that it is "an acceptable tolerance"

That is slightly 'uncool' of them, especially at the premium you pay for a Diverge........... but does the wheel pull to the one side when you peddle? [emoji185]

That is slightly 'uncool' of them, especially at the premium you pay for a Diverge........... but does the wheel pull to the one side when you peddle? [emoji185]

Wonder what he 'peddles' perhaps I could buy some  :ph34r:

What skewers do you have?

The standard one's that came with the wheels, or fancy lightweight one's?

I had the same issue, tightened the skewers so tight that I struggled to release them again, and the wheel still moved to the left and rubbed the tire.

Replaced my fancy lightweight KCNC skewers with the original American Classic one's, problem solved.

Worth checking out.

Fancy and KCNC in the same sentence... no man.

:ph34r:

A friend of mine had a Scott hardtail with the same ailment. Turned out that the slot for the hub in the frame wore out. No amount of tension on the qr  (qr 135mm hub) could keep it from moving. Scott replaced the frame with a new one.

Hmmmm. I have a scott hardtail where the rear wheel does the same thing and I couldn't work out why. Time to check! Bad news for me is that I bought the frame second hand so no warranty. Good news for me is that I've done 8,000km on it so it's not the end of the world. 

My son had a chinese carbon import frame through a local company that 6 months after he got it did the same.We discovered the stay had twisted.They replaced it with a Niner instead.We just topped up the difference

Wonder what he 'peddles' perhaps I could buy some :ph34r:

Perhaps he should peddle me a English - Afrikaans dictionary........ [emoji6]