Fat bikes

Anie

I know you guys have probably been asked a thousand times about fat bikes... Im a noob and want one desperately! Please can you recommend a good one but not breaking the bank!

Would appreciate it!

It depends on how much you are willing to spend and what type of riding you want to do on it.

What I learned:

- fatbikes are heavy, if you spend more you get a lighter setup

- they are NOT comfortable if fully rigid

- if you intend riding with your mates who are on normal bikes, get fitter

- if you go proper fat (plus4" tyres) you may struggle with a bike rack

- they are HUGE fun and give you a good workout

- if tyre pressures are right, grip is fantastic

I love my Specialized Fatboy, but it simply cannot replace a normal 29er. I say spend as much as you can and get a proper setup. Many top brands have them available.

I wouldn't waste money on one. They are designed for snow or sand and unless you are planning on riding under these conditions, they are a waste.

When they first came out, there was a mad rush to buy them, now, if the classifieds is anything to go by, everybody is selling them.

The Silverback double scoop seems to be the best bang for buck. Titan Whopper also isn't bad if you are looking towards the lower end of the range.

I had a Whopper it was a pretty good bike. Upgraded it to a Scott Big Ed once I found I was riding the Fat bike more than my standard MTB.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if you are allowed to ride a bike along the Milnerton, Tableview area beaches

If yes, then I am thinking of getting a very cheap fatbike to but the kiddie seat on and ride safely on the beach.