Electric Mountain Bikes on a MTB race.

Gerlach

Trying to be scientific, here are two Strava profiles of an ebike KOM around the Durbville area. The one that decreases incrementally is a real human whose surname may or may not rhyme with Snipe. The other is an unknown eBike who was no doubt out just for some fun.

As the hill gets steeper the eBike actually picks up speed. Honestly, excluding the ego thing, most of us use Strava as a training tool and will never see uphill KOM's but I really would like to know I am atleast a rotten apple compared to a shiny Granny Smith. And u can extend that to races.

But yes, for people out having fun, go crazy!

0.9 kph difference. I'm not bothered.

And for the guys going on about it's against the rules for races. Well so is outside assistance and finishing the day on a different bike to what started on. Not to mention a large percentage of the field at races probably have something illegal in there system.

So focus on what you there to do (have fun) and stop worrying about other people (who are there for the same reason).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is great that your dad is out there riding instead of sitting on the couch, I have no problem with e-bikes in general and people riding trails on them (taking Strava KOM's bit unethical - but we take Strava way too seriously anyway)

My point is regarding races, e-bikes have no place in normal cycling races as it really is a form of cheating. Does it matter if the fat oke at the back of the field cheat, take a short cut, is doping etc? Probably not that much, but the point is in a race the same rules should apply to everybody, you can't be exempt from certain rules because you start at the back at the field.

If people want to ride e-bikes in events there should be in events where the rules specifically allow it, if not it's cheating.

And the idea that it is only the okes at the back of the field? This thread was started because someone in the K2C A or B bunch was riding an e-bike.

Fair enough... 

As far as I know most races do not allow it, and when they do you "opt out" of all official timing and any prizes. I completely agree that they have no place in races such as Sani2Sea or Berg and Bush, Epic, etc. I'd be pretty upset if I saw okes riding e-bikes in that format. On the other hand, couldn't be bothered less if they were riding in the mtb race organised by the local primary school. 

Anyway, the whole regulation of e-bikes at races do need some thought, otherwise you will have novices powering up hills and then as soon as there is any technical single track they form serious congestion - no one is keen for that.

Apparently Brad Binder has a powered bike and is doing 94.7 on it. As long as he doesn't want a prize, it should be allowed.

I know for a fact that Brad has a Specialized Tarmac and that he trains very hard with some very famous international cyclists. I doubt it very much that he will bother with an e-bike...just saying  

0.9 kph difference. I'm not bothered.

And for the guys going on about it's against the rules for races. Well so is outside assistance and finishing the day on a different bike to what started on. Not to mention a large percentage of the field at races probably have something illegal in there system.

So focus on what you there to do (have fun) and stop worrying about other people (who are there for the same reason).

As I said, if it's guys out there having fun that wouldn't normally be on the trails, that is all well and good. And the issue isn't 0.9kph - the guy would probably be 10kph slower based on his other rides.

But this thread isn't about that: there are two different questions

A) is using an ebike 'competitively' still cycling

B) is using an ebike for fun ok

They are two fundamentally different questions but it seems they get mingled. Just as adding a sail to a board is now windsurfing, and adding a kite is now kite boarding, adding a motor in whatever form is no longer cycling. And that's an unemotional assessment.

But what it doesn't do is mean people who have the means and the desire shouldn't be able to have fun on trails, as I can't see it being especially hazardous.

[quote name="Thor Buttox" post="2971490"

But this thread isn't about that: there are two different questions

A) is using an ebike 'competitively' still cycling

B) is using an ebike for fun ok.

Simple answers

1. No - unless you create a seperate grouping/category for these guys.

2. Of course

Simple answers

1. No - unless you create a seperate grouping/category for these guys.

2. Of course

Precisely. And if we all agree on that, this thread becomes moot!

e-bikes can easily be catered for in the rules to ensure everything is safe and fair. Personally, they must stay out of my way in a race when I crank the climbs in pursuit of Position 1276.

(they can be useful on the flats if ridden by a large fellow, drafting!)

I really see no point in using these in races...I inadvertently took a 15 km shortcut in Sunday's spring (winter) classic, and I still had my ass handed to me by the winners...

even worse.. imagine being on an E-bike, in a race, and the likes of Jules on his Single speed rigid still kicks your butt....

wonder how an e bike handles water

imagine a person rides the Transbaviaans on one, but passing the water streams the battery die...now pedalling up "Mother of all climbs" with a 20kg bike... :D

wonder how an e bike handles water

imagine a person rides the Transbaviaans on one, but passing the water streams the battery die...now pedalling up "Mother of all climbs" with a 20kg bike... :D

Word is Die Muishond bought an e-bike just for the extra weight, and then replaced the battery with solar panels as he is 'always in charge'.

this is so simple, but i see this argument over and over again and doubt it's going away either with more and more e-bikes hitting the ground.

If you're complaining about ebikes and their throttles, you really need to ride one first.

It's like those Spar women's 10km races. Guys can run, dress up in a skirt and join the party. But be **** and try win the thing covertly and you'll get moered by the organisers (if the ladies don't get you first).

so ride your commercially available E-bike and have fun. sure there could be people wanting to use it to cheat, but there are already many ways to cheat and we deal with those caught accordingly

Anyway, the whole regulation of e-bikes at races do need some thought, otherwise you will have novices powering up hills and then as soon as there is any technical single track they form serious congestion - no one is keen for that.

they don't work like that. and if you're implying that it's a modified one, then that's a different category and you should state that.

Archived