One Sore Knee!!!

Hi All,

so recently ive noticed my right knee is sore after a ride, I have not fallen or banged it up that would explain the pain in my knee, and its only my right knee! I find its on the outside of my knee too, not like ive been pushing myself or anything like that either.

any ideas?

Hi All,

so recently ive noticed my right knee is sore after a ride, I have not fallen or banged it up that would explain the pain in my knee, and its only my right knee! I find its on the outside of my knee too, not like ive been pushing myself or anything like that either.

any ideas?

if its outside of the knee, could be your ITB. 

Hi All,

any ideas?

Has your mileage increased significantly lately? If so, chances are it's your ITB.

Roll it, stretch your glute muscles, rest it and then strengthen your glutes, hammies.

I do ride with cleats yes, where do I look at adjusting and what, the position of the cleat on the shoe?

my millage has not increased significantly at all and doing my usual rides, so sounds like I need to play around with the adjustments on my cleats then?

thanks for the advice thus far!

I do ride with cleats yes, where do I look at adjusting and what, the position of the cleat on the shoe?

my millage has not increased significantly at all and doing my usual rides, so sounds like I need to play around with the adjustments on my cleats then?

thanks for the advice thus far!

lots of opinions and options on this http://bfy.tw/7pGd 

my suggestion get a proper bike fit done

has your bicycle been in for a service as of late?

asking as they could have removed the seatpost and re-inserted at a different height to what you had before.

@chris.....

I've got the same issue.  Only right knee.  Got a bike fit done already (Rethul).  It is an alignment issue for me....moved my cleats as well.  During the fit they highlighted the fact that whilst pedaling my right knee tends to move outwards (to the right).  Your knees must stay relatively close to the top tube while pedaling.  

Hope you come right. 

Hi All,

any ideas?

First rule of fault-finding....what's changed?

I would imagine my seat height adjustment, my seat post was removed a few weeks ago, I will first adjust that and see from there. If im still experiencing pain I will adjust my cleats and failing that I will go get fitted correctly.

thanks for all the advice and help guys, much appreciated. 

I would imagine my seat height adjustment, my seat post was removed a few weeks ago, I will first adjust that and see from there. If im still experiencing pain I will adjust my cleats and failing that I will go get fitted correctly.

thanks for all the advice and help guys, much appreciated. 

I've found it's always useful to put a bit of tape on the seat post as a height marker (or a cokey pen mark), when getting some work done on the bike. Or even measure your set-up and keep those numbers safe. It's helped me when I, or the LBS mechanic, has had a brain fart.....

Hi All,

any ideas?

I don't know how tall/short you are. But most bikes come out with 175mm cranks, if you are shorter than 178cm they may be too long for you. When your cranks are too long your knee bends too much on the upstroke in order for you to have the correct extensio and you end up with pain, especially over longer distances.

Hopefully this is not the case - it's an expensive fix.

Hi All,

any ideas?

1. Go for a bike fit - it's well worth the money that will offset any future medical costs.
  2. Check that your saddle height is not too low. Usually the pain on the front/outside of the knee can be associated with the saddle being too low.
  3. Go for a bike fit - not sure if I've said that yet.
  4. Stretch - see image below. With a straight back, lean forward to stretch your glutes, which in turn stretches the area associated with ITB problems.
  5. Go for a professional bike fit - can't stress how important that is.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know how tall/short you are. But most bikes come out with 175mm cranks, if you are shorter than 178cm they may be too long for you. When your cranks are too long your knee bends too much on the upstroke in order for you to have the correct extensio and you end up with pain, especially over longer distances.

Hopefully this is not the case - it's an expensive fix.

If the saddle is correct height, then the wrong crank length masks the symptoms of a low saddle.

If the saddle is correct height, then the wrong crank length masks the symptoms of a low saddle.

^^This.

For so long I just kept putting my seat up higher and higher to the point where I was rocking from side to side while pedalling but kept getting sore knees and feeling like I the seat is too low and I have no power at the top of my stroke.

The move from 175mm crank to a 170mm crank immediately changed it for me.

Archived