Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

No it doesnt do the offsets but you can code them in, I havent really had a need to do that.

With the silent board they removed the manual leveling option from the stock firmware.

So that meant you had to disable steppers and then move the hotend around to use a piece of paper to check. The hassle comes in that the table will drop at some stage then you dont know where you started.

If you enable manual mesh leveling in TH3D then it moves the hotend to a bunch of spots on the bed and you just level accordingly, its so much more accurate that way.

Thanks at the moment the bed seems to be quite level. I did a first layer test print and slowed the print speed down to make it easier to make adjustments. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I printed these parts out last night for a honing/sharpening guide. Drawn up on Fusion 360 to fit the hardware I had laying around. I got my inspiration on Thingiverse. 

post-84485-0-91685500-1589883204_thumb.jpg

I had the hardware laying around. I printed bushings to fit some old pivot bearings I had. I also printed a housing for the nut to tighten it down onto a chisel or plane iron. The other bolts are just friction fit. 

post-84485-0-22904900-1589883217_thumb.jpg

Here it is assembled and with a plane iron in place. I designed the model to be symmetrical to save time on drawing up. In hind sight I could have printed the sections thinner and just swapped it around after printing since it would still be mirror images. 

post-84485-0-87491200-1589883226_thumb.jpg

post-84485-0-17678700-1589883237_thumb.jpg

Edited by ABrooks

I printed these parts out last night for a honing/sharpening guide. Drawn up on Fusion 360 to fit the hardware I had laying around. I got my inspiration on Thingiverse. 

attachicon.gif20200519_091252.jpg

I had the hardware laying around. I printed bushings to fit some old pivot bearings I had. I also printed a housing for the nut to tighten it down onto a chisel or plane iron. The other bolts are just friction fit. 

attachicon.gif20200519_091651.jpg

Here it is assembled and with a plane iron in place. I designed the model to be symmetrical to save time on drawing up. In hind sight I could have printed the sections thinner and just swapped it around after printing since it would still be mirror images. 

attachicon.gif20200519_092224.jpg

attachicon.gif20200519_092303.jpg

looks awesome, I am pretty sure somewhere my grandfather has one of the metal ones like it. Always good to share add it on thingiverse, or any other share space prusaprinters or cults3d.

Id use one of the latter ones and thingiverse. 

attachicon.gif20200519_091252.jpg

attachicon.gif20200519_091651.jpg

attachicon.gif20200519_092224.jpg

attachicon.gif20200519_092303.jpg

Brilliant idea! 

Its most likely better than the Chinese metal ones I have, those all required a lot of filing to get them square.

looks awesome, I am pretty sure somewhere my grandfather has one of the metal ones like it. Always good to share add it on thingiverse, or any other share space prusaprinters or cults3d.

Id use one of the latter ones and thingiverse. 

I won't be sharing this on Thingiverse because it was a copy from someone else's design that I got on Thingiverse, I just changed it to fit my needs. I am working on some bed supports that I will be sharing, I don't like how the current ones look and function.

I have a new project to share that I have been busy with. So the apparently the Ender 5 has some stability issues when printing larger, heavier items on the cantilever designed bed. On Thiniverse there is a few designs, but I wanted something a bit more structural looking. 

I designed this piece in Fusion 360 to act as a support for the cantilever base. There were some dimensional limitations on how tall the support could be and it had to go around a base leveling screw. 

Here is the completed print. I printed it with support material in this orientation to get the layers running along the length of the beams. 

post-84485-0-52159700-1590130768_thumb.jpg 

Here it is with the supports removed:

post-84485-0-12219800-1590130843_thumb.jpg

post-84485-0-77634000-1590130882_thumb.jpg

And finally the rear bracket to attach it to the linear bearing at the back. 

post-84485-0-70623900-1590130926_thumb.jpg

I will post pictures once I have it installed on the printer. I am going to upload to Thingiverse if it fits and works.

Oh and I only realised I bought black pla with glitter when I wanted to start the print and took the roll out of the box. 

• 1 month later...

very lekker guys!! jeepers creepers, i am getting better with the printing aspects, but i realize i am now at the point where i need to learn how to draw things... i saw fusion 360 and 123d drawing.. i think its a good starting point for a nobody like me.

sorry i only saw the replies to my comment on my prusa built... apologies i should have specified its a prusa-like kit (those ones being sold by most shops based on the prusa design) , in the meantime i bought a wanhao duplicator 6+ and a flashforge adv 3 they print extremely well, but now i need to learn to draw my own stuffies... i take my hat off for you guys that are capable of drawing your own stuff already.

I won't be sharing this on Thingiverse because it was a copy from someone else's design that I got on Thingiverse, I just changed it to fit my needs. I am working on some bed supports that I will be sharing, I don't like how the current ones look and function.

There is the option to post it as a remix, Then it gives credit to original design.

very lekker guys!! jeepers creepers, i am getting better with the printing aspects, but i realize i am now at the point where i need to learn how to draw things... i saw fusion 360 and 123d drawing.. i think its a good starting point for a nobody like me.

sorry i only saw the replies to my comment on my prusa built... apologies i should have specified its a prusa-like kit (those ones being sold by most shops based on the prusa design) , in the meantime i bought a wanhao duplicator 6+ and a flashforge adv 3 they print extremely well, but now i need to learn to draw my own stuffies... i take my hat off for you guys that are capable of drawing your own stuff already.

My vote goes to fusion 360, but purely out of a scalable solution perspective. Fusion360 allows you to do some seriously advanced drawing techniques when you start getting hang of things, Some of others like tinkercad is slightly more limited. Fusion360 also has cloud history of each revision (so far that's everytime i click save manually). This has made it possible for me to go back and make a branched design without either starting from scratch or stripping back current design.

Anyone selling prints to make some cash?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Would you also mind sharing typical cost of printing, maintenance etc? 

I do a lot of Resin  and Fdm printing and my cycling stuff comes out amazing and works perfect

My vote goes to fusion 360, but purely out of a scalable solution perspective. Fusion360 allows you to do some seriously advanced drawing techniques when you start getting hang of things, Some of others like tinkercad is slightly more limited. Fusion360 also has cloud history of each revision (so far that's everytime i click save manually). This has made it possible for me to go back and make a branched design without either starting from scratch or stripping back current design.

Anyone selling prints to make some cash?

i sell 3d parts and tech how to draw, 360 all the way with inkscape

I use Fusion360, But busy trying prusa slicer atm for ender3 so far its okish, only 2 prints in.

Go Ultimaker Cura Prints will come out perfect

Filament Selection, which filament is best to use for things like brackets to hold things like pipes or vacuum hoses in place? It seems like it would be between ABS and PETG? 

PETG

PLA+

Nylon