How to service a Rock Shox Revelation shock

Mike 1

How difficult is it to service by yourself this type of shock at home, what would one need and where would one go to buy the kit ( cape Town).

You mean fork?

You beat me to it...

OP - the service guide is on www.sram.com/service, and tells you everything you need to know.

Two extra hints though:

Clean means clean. A stray fibre from a cloth can cause leaks. Clean your work area and fork before you start, and work on a piece of shop towel.

Replace your wipers and foam rings. If the foam rings are dirty, your wipers are shot. Don't try to save a few bucks by reusing the old ones, you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run.

You mean fork?

Lots of online manuals.  Might be tricky to find the correct weight oils.

Fork yes !!! lol  is it expensive to buy all the consumables ?

Google, YouTube and it is not too difficult.  Parts from Droo and you are there.

and where do I find this Droo?

Droo/Dave, silly question, but what do you use as lint free cloths?

I have not found anything completely lint free...

Droo/Dave, silly question, but what do you use as lint free cloths?

I have not found anything completely lint free...

The closest I've found is a cotton waffle weave, otherwise Wurth make a giant paper bog roll that's more absorbent than most. For shim stacks and final cleaning, roller towel works pretty well as well.

When Droo says ' clean means clean' and 'a single textile fibre'.... its true. I learned the hard way. You will find your carelessness jammed in the shim stack when you open up for the second time to see why its not working....

The simple lowers service is needed more frequently and is the least risky. This where you can save the most money. For the more complex services like damper overhauls it may be better to send it in to someone that knows their stuff and has the special tools.

If you're more curious it can be fun trying out different weight oils or re-arranging shims to alter damping characteristics, especially if you're lighter, heavier or a much more aggressive rider than the average for which the fork is produced at the factory. If you fiddle....expect some disappointments along the way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The closest I've found is a cotton waffle weave, otherwise Wurth make a giant paper bog roll that's more absorbent than most. For shim stacks and final cleaning, roller towel works pretty well as well.

Cool thanks for this. I typically use either old (clean) cotton shirts or paper towel, but as I mentioned, neither are truly lint free, yet the manuals always mention 'lint free towel' so I thought it was maybe some commercial towel I can't seem to get my hands on.

Try an automotive paint supplies shop for lint free cloth

Cool, I'll look into it.

Gracias.

The simple lowers service is needed more frequently and is the least risky. This where you can save the most money. For the more complex services like damper overhauls it may be better to send it in to someone that knows their stuff and has the special tools.

For sealed dampers I agree, but RS emulsion dampers are about as easy to service as lowers.

Archived