So depressing

partydave

This weekend was supposed to be my best race to date. The longest at 105km. I purchased a road bike (the horror) and I trained hard, really hard, 4-5 times a week hard.

I felt strong and was certain that I would produce a great result.

Starter gun popped, I pedaled my quads out, confident still of finishing strong. Some wind from the front, but it's fine, I'm in the bunch and we're helping each other fight through it, piece of cake. We hit the second turn off, the road is wet, the wind gets worse and I'm at the front of the bunch, pulling some roadies along. I'll get my turn to suck wheel, just gotta keep in the bunch.

A mountain bike passes, wow, guy has to be strong. Another passes and then another. I'm getting tired. 20km in, what's going? The guys I was pulling start passing me one by one. All of a sudden I'm struggling to pedal so I get off to investigate the bike. A wad of mud between the front tyre and fork, ag no man. I squirt some water into it. I've lost the bunch, but I'll grab the next as they pass. 1km on, again, more mud. I decide to fight through the mud, but it's futile. After 5 stops and expending most of my energy in less than 20km, I'm passed by the sweeper and told I'm third from last, but I refuse to give up. I take the front wheel off and maak 'n plan. A few minutes worth of struggling and I'm back in full swing, but now I'm seriously tired and I've got 50 odd left to go; now with the wind  straight into my face and no one to hang on to.

I pass a few guys, I offer a slip, but I can see they are finished, nothing left but a pedaling zombie. One oke takes up my offer and we struggle to the finish line, made it, phew, but we missed the cut-off by 1 minute and 29 seconds. Man that hit hard...

Next time maybe

Well done for finishing. The character that builds is probably the most valuable thing.

Its the experience that counts and you don't get a manual on racing telling you what not to do, you learn that by the mistakes.

Pacing yourself is about the single largest skill in all racing.

We have all been there. 

This weekend was supposed to be my best race to date. The longest at 105km. I purchased a road bike (the horror) and I trained hard, really hard, 4-5 times a week hard.

I felt strong and was certain that I would produce a great result.

Starter gun popped, I pedaled my quads out, confident still of finishing strong. Some wind from the front, but it's fine, I'm in the bunch and we're helping each other fight through it, piece of cake. We hit the second turn off, the road is wet, the wind gets worse and I'm at the front of the bunch, pulling some roadies along. I'll get my turn to suck wheel, just gotta keep in the bunch.

A mountain bike passes, wow, guy has to be strong. Another passes and then another. I'm getting tired. 20km in, what's going? The guys I was pulling start passing me one by one. All of a sudden I'm struggling to pedal so I get off to investigate the bike. A wad of mud between the front tyre and fork, ag no man. I squirt some water into it. I've lost the bunch, but I'll grab the next as they pass. 1km on, again, more mud. I decide to fight through the mud, but it's futile. After 5 stops and expending most of my energy in less than 20km, I'm passed by the sweeper and told I'm third from last, but I refuse to give up. I take the front wheel off and maak 'n plan. A few minutes worth of struggling and I'm back in full swing, but now I'm seriously tired and I've got 50 odd left to go; now with the wind  straight into my face and no one to hang on to.

I pass a few guys, I offer a slip, but I can see they are finished, nothing left but a pedaling zombie. One oke takes up my offer and we struggle to the finish line, made it, phew, but we missed the cut-off by 1 minute and 29 seconds. Man that hit hard...

Next time maybe

does ur name have anything to do with the performance? :whistling:  You know the old saying "Party Hard, Ride Like Lard"!

does ur name have anything to do with the performance? :whistling:  You know the old saying "Party Hard, Ride Like Lard"!

Haha, no. My days of partying are far gone. A teammate did party though, he managed 52.5km before throwing in the rope

Well done for finishing, was it a Cyclocross race with all the mud?

The first half of the race is a salt road and it was a very misty morning. I pushed my bike through some mud at the start line which I suspect clumped some mud in the fork, compounding the issue.

The will be many other races to make up on. I'm sure is was disappointing after training hard and feeling good only for that to be taken away by some mud but at the end of the day, it's how you finished and that you finished rather than the time you finished on this one.

Well done for not giving and finishing the race :clap:

Salt roads? Henties/Swakopmund/Walvis area? What race was it?

Seeing that you are doing the Dash, a little perspective: all that suffering and expending energy in 20km and the wind for 105km... And then you still have 265km to go to get to the finish in Swakop! Just a thought...I'll just leave that here...

Salt roads? Henties/Swakopmund/Walvis area? What race was it?

Seeing that you are doing the Dash, a little perspective: all that suffering and expending energy in 20km and the wind for 105km... And then you still have 265km to go to get to the finish in Swakop! Just a thought...I'll just leave that here...

How kind of you Sias, how very very kind

The wind on Saturday was unlike anything I've cycled in before, it was mental!

How kind of you Sias, how very very kind

The wind on Saturday was unlike anything I've cycled in before, it was mental!

Glad to help!  :D

I hope it dies down by the time we get there for the Dash! Last year wasn't too bad.

What was the race you did?

Well done for finishing!

"I trained hard, really hard, 4-5 times a week hard"

Maybe over-trained?

Do not do all the work up front especially not the 1st part of the ride - ever!

Pace yourself - that's 1/2  the battle done.

Do not concern yourself about others.

Long race done - Check. Made the cutoff - Not this time. Learned from the experience - Check. Got the 'race' mileage in your legs - Banked

Far more plus than minus to your event! Nothing to be disappointed by. Keep at it and the result will come!

HaHa Partydave,

Races are going to come and go over the years I hope, but this is the one that will get told again and again over a frosty or a good cup of java.

Enjoy the next one

Sarge

Makeup ride scheduled for next weekend. Aim is a sub 4, conditions will be roughly the same according to Google.

I will not be beaten!

Archived