So I bought this bike...Unhappiest day of my life.

DoubleJ

Am curious to know why the reluctance to send the bike back and get a full refund??

The way mine is set up means it will never catch my other 3 fingers even if completely stuffed...

Problem is that if even if I remove my fingers the lever just goes back more. The chaps at the shop showed me that unlike Shimano brakes, SRAM (Avid) brakes applies pressure to the brake pads the stiffer you want the lever to be. So for me to get it to feel less spungy I need to set the it up so that the brake pads touches the disk....apparently thats how old Avid brakes worked.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember by not naming and shaming you are choosing to protect the dodgy dealer and not protect your fellow hubbers and friends.

Just saying.

Just remember by not naming and shaming you are choosing to protect the dodgy dealer and not protect your fellow hubbers and friends.

Just saying.

Dis maar my is....maybe next time someone buys from out of town they will ask for higher quality pics and make a list of what the seller said wrong with the bike. So leer ons maar.

Problem is that if even if I remove my fingers the lever just goes back more. The chaps at the shop showed me that unlike Shimano brakes, SRAM (Avid) brakes applies pressure to the brake pads the stiffer you want the lever to be. So for me to get it to feel less spungy I need to set the it up so that the brake pads touches the disk....apparently thats how old Avid brakes worked.

No, that's not true. Whilst they do generate more power to harder you pull, they shouldn't go to the bar. Sound like there's still air in the system or a leak somewhere

DoubleJ:

Not sure I understand why you started the thread if you do not want to name the shop or follow a proper return and refund route?

Same old, same old... name and shame.

Same old, same old... Buyer beware. Don't buy anything that you can't inspect and if you do buy from a distance be prepared and happy to get a shock / lose that money if need be. Guy is trying to sort it - So that is plus. I guess.  

*** service, photos and description initially but your money has / is being covered and hopefully he'll get the rest fixed up for you so you can put the disappointment behind you and you can get riding. Not really what's expected from a shop (or is he just a dealer?) and that is a list of issues. 

Just a q: do you brake with your middle finger? Was just trying to work out how you squish your fingers behind the lever. 

I fully agree with the highlighted point, but I would think if you are buying "blind" from a reputable bike store you would have more faith in the quality of what you are buying. Not lekker to open a box all excited and have your heart drop when you discover the contents in poor, unworkable condition. 

DoubleJ, name the place so we all know who to be wary of

Am also trying to understand why you have come on the hub with this story... you in need of some hub loving???

Maybe I will get flamed for this but am not feeling much sympathy for you (maybe has been a long week already, but logic often overrides sympathy)

BUT your first action should have been to return the bike and DEMAND a full refund then go looking for a decent used bike!!

Instead you wish to keep heaping misery upon misery on yourself every time you find something else wrong with the bike... and what you are now seeking a group hub hug to make you feel better !!

All this additional misery and the initial disappointment could have been cleared once and for all by returning the bike and getting your money back !!!

As others have said if you not prepared to name and shame, then more fool you unless there is something more to this story that you are not telling??

Am also trying to understand why you have come on the hub with this story... you in need of some hub loving???

Maybe I will get flamed for this but am not feeling much sympathy for you (maybe has been a long week already, but logic often overrides sympathy)

BUT your first action should have been to return the bike and DEMAND a full refund then go looking for a decent used bike!!

Instead you wish to keep heaping misery upon misery on yourself every time you find something else wrong with the bike... and what you are now seeking a group hub hug to make you feel better !!

All this additional misery and the initial disappointment could have been cleared once and for all by returning the bike and getting your money back !!!

As others have said if you not prepared to name and shame, then more fool you unless there is something more to this story that you are not telling??

This. Strap on a pair and fight for your rights as a consumer. 

What would I gain if I tell everyone it's Piet Pompies from Pompies Cycles in Paternoster? Will I feel better about where I currently am with the purchase....no, will I feel worse if the owner phoned me tomorrow and tells me he was busy attending a funeral of a family member or whatever (life happens) and couldn't get around to contact me and offers to refund me (while I flayed him on the net chasing away loyal customers)...yip. 

I like the bike, it's a decent bike. It's got problems which I'll fix....I was just maybe hoping that maybe someone will read this and remember the story next time they buy from out of town. Maybe ask better questions then I did. Not my intention to piss anyone off and I appreciate the advice as to how to set my brakes as I've never had SRAM parts. I've certainly learnt from this experience.

What would I gain if I tell everyone it's Piet Pompies from Pompies Cycles in Paternoster? Will I feel better about where I currently am with the purchase....no, will I feel worse if the owner phoned me tomorrow and tells me he was busy attending a funeral of a family member or whatever (life happens) and couldn't get around to contact me and offers to refund me (while I flayed him on the net chasing away loyal customers)...yip. 

I like the bike, it's a decent bike. It's got problems which I'll fix....I was just maybe hoping that maybe someone will read this and remember the story next time they buy from out of town. Maybe ask better questions then I did. Not my intention to piss anyone off and I appreciate the advice as to how to set my brakes as I've never had SRAM parts. I've certainly learnt from this experience.

Which shop did you use to bleed the brakes? those old Avids can be a real pain in the a$$ to get right and there are many tricks that are only learned through endless hours spent covered in Dot 4.0

DAMN!!!!!!! You spent that much money and you are happy to keep the bike. I would have asked for a refund. 

I am sure you can if I am not mistaken. It is not 6 months later!!

But seriously, I would not have carried out all that repair work after spending that much on a used bike.

At least try and get the seller to refund you some of the money

Fk you guys are ruthless... I feel like I want to call up the place and tell them I'd like to give them a refund for the refund they gave me ;)

Thanks anyways chaps. I just don't see any need of flaying someone to make myself feel better....have we not learnt anything from the cracked Specialized frame incident few months back?

What would I gain if I tell everyone it's Piet Pompies from Pompies Cycles in Paternoster? 

You will gain nothing and probably not feel better but you could save another rubber going through this.

Name and shame the shop :thumbup:

there are many tricks that are only learned through endless hours spent covered in Dot 

aka replacing them! 

Archived