What is this Specialized Power saddle all about

Chris NewbyFraser

I have behaving some tenderness for a while now and went for a 2H30min ride yesterday and it's sore. The skin is more tender and there is a sore there (apologies for the info) which should not really be the case right? I am riding a Henge 143

Its been tender for long time now and on a Ride with Pikey, I rode his bike and he had this power saddle and I thought to myself that it felt super comfy, like it's not even there. So I went on a mission to get one seeing as though I was having some issues. Went to a concept sore to measure my sit bones and the said I need a 155 for sure. Measured twice and no where close to even a 143 which is what I was on.

Scoured the classifieds here and found one as good as new so of course I bought it and it arrived today.

You are probably expecting this super success story of how all my pain had gone but not yet. After reading this thread it was clear that the saddle needs to be set up correctly so I have put it on trying to get the nose part level. Please advise if this looks right as per pic attached.

A quick pedal around the driveway and it feels different and seems to put me more forward but I did read that it tends to put you in more race like position. This will take time to get used to but will be able to tell after 2 or 3 rides.

Alan, my rule of thumb with all saddles has been to look forward over the groove at the back of the saddle (like a 'rifle sight' ) and aim the nose of the saddle at the top of the stem. Then fine tune for comfort from there. The back of the Power saddle should be in same place as your old saddle....bringing the shorter nose further back than before by 2 to 3 cm. So the new saddle might sit further back in the rails than before.

I had to lower my post about 5mm and ended up also dropping the nose even further (aiming at mid stem now) . Everybody is different. A mate rides the nose of his saddle so high I cant sit on it but he is comfy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan, my rule of thumb with all saddles has been to look forward over the groove at the back of the saddle (like a 'rifle sight' ) and aim the nose of the saddle at the top of the stem. Then fine tune for comfort from there. The back of the Power saddle should be in same place as your old saddle....bringing the shorter nose further back than before by 2 to 3 cm. So the new saddle might sit further back in the rails than before.

I had to lower my post about 5mm and ended up also dropping the nose even further (aiming at mid stem now) . Everybody is different. A mate rides the nose of his saddle so high I cant sit on it but he is comfy.

Thanks  JXV. Understand that all are different and have saddles set differently. I think I will leave it the way I have it and take it form there. I think the for and aft position is good as I set that up with the bend in my knee dissects the pedal axle when the cranks are level and foot where I want it.

Its a stubby saddle but feels comfortable and like you say, will adjust as I go until I find that sweet spot. Also good idea about leveling against the stem, good system that. 

Just got (and fitted naturally) my Power Saddle. Haven't been out for a ride yet, but will do so today.

The shop only had 155's and I was fairly sure I needed a 143. They did an ass test and I measured in at 145. LBS said I'll be 100% on a 155. Is he just saying this because he doesn't have any 143s in stock?

Just got (and fitted naturally) my Power Saddle. Haven't been out for a ride yet, but will do so today.

The shop only had 155's and I was fairly sure I needed a 143. They did an ass test and I measured in at 145. LBS said I'll be 100% on a 155. Is he just saying this because he doesn't have any 143s in stock?

yes. The 143 Power feels wider than my 143 Phenom. If you measure 145 they should not be telling you a 155 is OK......why do the measurement if the plan is to ignore it?

When i went to get tested (did it twice), they said 155 as i wasn't even close to a 143. They didn't haven 155 in stock but had a good few 143 do no, its not just a make you buy thing.

Thanks  JXV. Understand that all are different and have saddles set differently. I think I will leave it the way I have it and take it form there. I think the for and aft position is good as I set that up with the bend in my knee dissects the pedal axle when the cranks are level and foot where I want it.

Its a stubby saddle but feels comfortable and like you say, will adjust as I go until I find that sweet spot. Also good idea about leveling against the stem, good system that. 

The nose level looks about right.  I would definitely try moving the saddle back a few mm at a time until you are comfortable.

My first ride with mine was a 3hr ride and the first 1.5hr was torture.  Luckily I had a multitool and dropped the nose slightly and moved the saddle 5mm back.  The next 1.5hr was a pleasure.

Guest ToxicD

So no shop in PTA or JHB has a 168 in stock... :(

They also dont do loan seats anymore because "some" people didnt bring the seat back or paid for it. `Thanks... Now i need to buy it before I can try it

Guest ToxicD

So no shop in PTA or JHB has a 168 in stock... :(

They also dont do loan seats anymore because "some" people didnt bring the seat back or paid for it. `Thanks... Now i need to buy it before I can try it

That being said I went to another shop and was remeasured and was assured that I need the 155 not the 168. So they had stock and bought one.

Quick fit at home and was off on the road. I immediately noticed that the pedaling position changed. The seat puts you a lot forward and it feels like you are cycling under yourself and not in the normal cycling position.

Going to have a setup done with the seat to see if it makes any changes to the pedaling position. 

Have to say though that its extremely comfortable compared to the super flat seat I had

How does the cheaper Power Comp model compare the more expensive Power models?

Is it worth saving up for the Expert or Pro?

Guest ToxicD

Difference is 30g in weight in total with less padding on the seat... thats about it

The Comp model has Cromoly rails, the Pro and Expert have Ti rails. The SWorks has carbon rails.

Comp and Expert have same chassis with level 2 padding. Available in 3 sizes 143, 155 and 168.

Pro and S Works models have thinner level 1 padding and are only available in 143 and 155 sizes. Obviously a bit lighter too. Do you really want to spend R4k on a saddle?

Ok so I gave the Power saddle its maiden voyage today and its a very different saddle that for sure. It felt weird as the nose is so short and coming from a 143 to a 155 it also felt weird, maybe just need to get used to it.

I have question though, might sound a bit strange but where are you suppose to sit in this thing? By that I mean a little forward or a little back. Not sure how to explain it. If I sit a little back it, like on the perch, doesn't feel right and if I sit a little forward then its almost as though I am sitting on nothing as there's not much there.

I titled the nose down a little bit which helped. How long did it take you to get used to? I always maintain with cycling that you have to give these things a good few rides before you decide.

Ok so I gave the Power saddle its maiden voyage today and its a very different saddle that for sure. It felt weird as the nose is so short and coming from a 143 to a 155 it also felt weird, maybe just need to get used to it.

I have question though, might sound a bit strange but where are you suppose to sit in this thing? By that I mean a little forward or a little back. Not sure how to explain it. If I sit a little back it, like on the perch, doesn't feel right and if I sit a little forward then its almost as though I am sitting on nothing as there's not much there.

I titled the nose down a little bit which helped. How long did it take you to get used to? I always maintain with cycling that you have to give these things a good few rides before you decide.

Nose down, sit at the back.

I have question though, might sound a bit strange but where are you suppose to sit in this thing? By that I mean a little forward or a little back. Not sure how to explain it. If I sit a little back it, like on the perch, doesn't feel right and if I sit a little forward then its almost as though I am sitting on nothing as there's not much there.

Nose a little bit down and more to the back than front.

Took me about 3 rides to get used to it. I've now done plenty short rides and several 6 hour plus rides....loving this saddle!!!

Guest ToxicD

So on my ride last night I noticed that my Right bum cheek started going numb. I assume this is normal in the beginning until your sit bones get used to taking the pressure?

So on my ride last night I noticed that my Right bum cheek started going numb. I assume this is normal in the beginning until your sit bones get used to taking the pressure?

Possibly....never experienced that.

Archived