What is this Specialized Power saddle all about

Chris NewbyFraser

So what everyone is saying is that if a saddle doesn't work for you from the start, it's not going to work for you in the long run?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what everyone is saying is that if a saddle doesn't work for you from the start, it's not going to work for you in the long run?

Don't think that is what's being said. Some may need a longer period to get used to it.

Don't think that is what's being said. Some may need a longer period to get used to it.

I dont know what that means, because that statement above could mean 2 things: either the saddle is actually good, or it's actual crap, and the only reason you've gotten used to it is because you've resigned yourself to an unfortunate purchase.

So how long is this piece of string exactly?

i tried it. nice saddle but not quite right for me.

eventually settled on a Romin - and love it!

Power saddle is definitely worth a try, if its fits it's going to be super comfy

I dont know what that means, because that statement above could mean 2 things: either the saddle is actually good, or it's actual crap, and the only reason you've gotten used to it is because you've resigned yourself to an unfortunate purchase.

I once bought a Fizik saddle. It was very uncomfortable from the word go. LBS where I bought it from said that a Fizik needs to be ridden in and it might take a while. After about six weeks I just couldn't take it any more and gave it to a buddy. He loved it from the word go and is still ridding it 5 years later.

Sounds like even more of a reason to get a test saddle and ride it for as long as possible before parting with cash?

For those that have changed over to a Power saddle; how long did it take you to get comfortable?

I got one on the new DS, but it is killing me! I was measured before hand. It feels like my proximal hamstrings are being pinched against the edge of the saddle.

I had the exact same feeling on an Adamo saddle that I tried for 2 rides. It feels like hell.

I was gonna give this saddle a try, but now I'm not sure I should. Unless I can get 1 to try out as well..

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this isn't another Spez-bashing thread in the making...but I'll drop my 2c at risk of feeding the monster :whistling:

Having struggled for a few years to find a saddle which didn't feel like what I'd imagine your first night in prison to be, I strolled into a Specialized shop to see what they had on offer. Sales guy pointed out the power saddle and handed it to me to try for a weekend.

First impression was "what is that weird looking saddle about", but was explained that its designed to help you get out and forward of the saddle in the "power position" without getting bits snagged on the pointy end (of the saddle that is :ph34r: )

Long story short, ride number 1 on it was so comfy that it ended up being a 3 hour session...and first time in my life experiencing no discomfort at all. Went back on the Monday asked them to please take my money.

As Iwan said... kind of ruined me for other saddles.

Been trying this saddle out for the last few days. I will be taking the test saddle back tomorrow and also asking them to please take my money for a new one!!

Amazing how comfortable it is and just feels so right!!

Noticed one of those on a mate's bike yesterday. Funny looking thing and I have  to admit that especially with my roadie, it has to look the part. As such I'll stick with my Airone :)

I do Body Geometry Fits at a concept store in Cape Town. The Power is the only saddle that I recommend to men, women, MTB, road, Triathlon's...all of them.  It is designed to be a racing saddle but I find it works for everyone. The nose of the saddle is about 3cm shorter than the normal saddle, this allows free movement for the thighs and takes pressure off the soft tissue area when you rotate your pelvis forward (aero position or leaning forward to go up a steep climb on the mtb etc). 

I know of a few brands that, in my opinion, have better shapes than some Specialized saddles, but they're simply too narrow. The different width options are great, especially from a bike fit point of view.

I really want to like this saddle; but the edges are just too sharp, with the padding too hard in these areas. It just destroys my hamstrings through direct pressure

I do Body Geometry Fits at a concept store in Cape Town. The Power is the only saddle that I recommend to men, women, MTB, road, Triathlon's...all of them.  It is designed to be a racing saddle but I find it works for everyone. The nose of the saddle is about 3cm shorter than the normal saddle, this allows free movement for the thighs and takes pressure off the soft tissue area when you rotate your pelvis forward (aero position or leaning forward to go up a steep climb on the mtb etc). 

I know of a few brands that, in my opinion, have better shapes than some Specialized saddles, but they're simply too narrow. The different width options are great, especially from a bike fit point of view.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me. A thread dedicated to a Spez saddle.......aka a focused shop-window for Spez........people interested in the saddle......all that's missing is a financial enticement for Hubbers! #Hubberdiscountsdammit!   :whistling:

I took delivery of the 143mm Power Comp Saddle yesterday. I couldn't wait to get home with my Saddle, Tape Measure & Spirit Level in hand.

Went to bed holding thumbs that the forecasted rain would not materialize and took the New Seat for a spin around Marine this morning.

To those who have made the change, I agree : the most comfortable I have felt "ever", and I have tried just about every make and model of seat. 

To those considering a change : do not wait ! 

The acid test will be DC this weekend, however the bumpy undulated rough ride that is The Marine is a good enough test ride for me to be SOLD on the seat :thumbup:

It feels right :whistling:

I'm wondering if getting one now just before the DC is a good idea....  Rode another bike with one earlier, and I love it.

I took delivery of the 143mm Power Comp Saddle yesterday. I couldn't wait to get home with my Saddle, Tape Measure & Spirit Level in hand.

Went to bed holding thumbs that the forecasted rain would not materialize and took the New Seat for a spin around Marine this morning.

To those who have made the change, I agree : the most comfortable I have felt "ever", and I have tried just about every make and model of seat.

To those considering a change : do not wait !

The acid test will be DC this weekend, however the bumpy undulated rough ride that is The Marine is a good enough test ride for me to be SOLD on the seat :thumbup:

It feels right :whistling:

Did you level it across the entire saddle (front tip to the back); or just across the front/middle part, ignoring the tail that whips up a bit?

(If that makes any sense at all!?)

Archived