First Ride Review: Cannondale Scalpel-Si Carbon 3

Iwan Kemp

Guys I need some input please. My carbon 3 is standing at my LBS. I want a 36 chainring for it with the 11/46 that's on the bike. Apparently the oval chainring will not work on the bike due to frame clearance issues as the ring is to wide.

Next is to source a 36 round with the cannondale direct mount, any ideas as we are coming up blank. Wolf tooth make a camo system but I have to order in from the states.

My last option is to change to SRAM 10/42 and run a 34 chainring.

Any ideas please?

My LBS told me that a Cannondake chainring, one bigger than the standard, is compatible

Obviously, haven't check for local availability yet as I'm cool with 34 in front at this point

Get that order in quick as November-Dec can be tricky

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I need some input please. My carbon 3 is standing at my LBS. I want a 36 chainring for it with the 11/46 that's on the bike. Apparently the oval chainring will not work on the bike due to frame clearance issues as the ring is to wide.

Next is to source a 36 round with the cannondale direct mount, any ideas as we are coming up blank. Wolf tooth make a camo system but I have to order in from the states.

My last option is to change to SRAM 10/42 and run a 34 chainring.

Any ideas please?

correct me if I am wrong but why don't you run 34T oval ...on its widest lengh it would be the same as a normal 36.  

I'm running a absolute black 34 on my eagle setup ( 2017 scalpel)

I must say there seems very little clearance on the 34 tooth,enough but I think a 36 will be a tight fit.

You will have to play with the chainline up front to make a 36 or bigger fit

SB

I'm running a absolute black 34 on my eagle setup ( 2017 scalpel)

I must say there seems very little clearance on the 34 tooth,enough but I think a 36 will be a tight fit.

You will have to play with the chainline up front to make a 36 or bigger fit

SB

I presume that is a round 34T and not the oval ?

Thanks guys. I have decided to run a 34t oval with the shimano 11/46.

I hope I warm to this bike as I am expecting not to like it. Strange I know, but I wanted a hardtail to replace my flash, Dificult to get so I reluctantly agreed to go the dual sus route, now I expect not to like the gearing as I wanted a 36 to run the shimano, but have to settle for the 34.

I am going to run the shimano and if I don't like it I will have to convert to SRAM and run a 10/42 with a 34 oval.

Sorry for the moan, just frustrating having to compromise.

Thanks guys. I have decided to run a 34t oval with the shimano 11/46.

I hope I warm to this bike as I am expecting not to like it. Strange I know, but I wanted a hardtail to replace my flash, Dificult to get so I reluctantly agreed to go the dual sus route, now I expect not to like the gearing as I wanted a 36 to run the shimano, but have to settle for the 34.

I am going to run the shimano and if I don't like it I will have to convert to SRAM and run a 10/42 with a 34 oval.

Sorry for the moan, just frustrating having to compromise.

Sounds like you've got some solutions

That frame - very special

Gearing is a micro-issue that can be sorted

I had the same gripe, always ran in the big ring with my Spark - but in spite of this stuck with the standard 32 chainring and kept the 42/11 cassette on my Si 3. Regretted it at first, but got into trouble climbing out of the Inanda Valley two weeks ago and was glad for the extra ratios. Truth is 1x11 is always going to be compromised, and I just couldn't live with the aesthetic of the 46/11 cassette.

I guess it is what it is.

Edited by cbdcaffie

Can the guys on the medium frame please confirm the standard stem length that the bike comes with  ?

I had the same gripe, always ran in the big ring with my Spark - but in spite of this stuck with the standard 32 chainring and kept the 42/11 cassette on my Si 3. Regretted it at first, but got into trouble climbing out of the Inanda Valley two weeks ago and was glad for the extra ratios. Truth is 1x11 is always going to be compromised, and I just couldn't live with the aesthetic of the 46/11 cassette.

What's cool is that they made it dark grey / almost black in colour

When my 11-42 is toast, I'm changing out to a 11-46 for sure.

Changing from a 30t to a 34t was a bit silly, in retrospect. Especially with my weight. Extra super secret training though!

All the people who have asked me what I'm running have told me that I'm either very brave, or crazy. No middle ground! I answer that it's a bit of both...

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered a 36t oval chainring from a Ukranian company that makes both round and oval chainrings for the Cannondale Hollowgram crankset which are designed to work with the new AI frames (F-SI, Scalpel SI, Beast of the East, Bad Habit).

It might take a couple of months to arrive via SAPO but it's worth the wait especially if you are running Eagle  :rolleyes:

http://garbaruk.com

I just got mine, was told 34t is max and replaced the XT with SRAM Eagle XX1 - very bling :P

Lekka

Congrats!