[Event] Hollard JUMA

Events Bot

54, singlespeed again.

Hopefully people ride the hills properly this year and don't cause bottlenecks again. It's tough doing some of those climbs in the rough next to the trail because someone chooses to walk in the middle of the path on the steep stuff

You want to act tough and ride singlespeed ( an boast about it )............and then you complain its rough?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also doing the 54km.............ride the spruit often from Alberts farm to Sunninghill and back so should be ok.........

I stay really close to alberts farm, I live in bergbron, I have never ridden to sunninghill, if you have the patience maybe I can join you for a ride sometime just to see the route and check if I will make the 54km challenge

I stay really close to alberts farm, I live in bergbron, I have never ridden to sunninghill, if you have the patience maybe I can join you for a ride sometime just to see the route and check if I will make the 54km challenge

Cool send me a PM and we can try and arrange it......................

You want to act tough and ride singlespeed ( an boast about it )............and then you complain its rough?

The single speed category batching last year, meant that there was some slower riders strewn throughout the field of both distances that had to be negotiated past.

Nothing wrong with king krispy's post. He wasnt complaining, merely making an observation.

Acting tough, hahaha you finally answered the age old question of "why single speed"

Same as Karkloof Classic weekend, I'll probably be going down for that if things don't change.

I broke my hip doing the 22 last year, and no, not on the algae☺ Been a long recovery, so will do the 22 again. A nice day out with the wife on the bike!

Wow dude! NICE! Glad you healed up and are coming back to ride it again!

May I ask where and how it happened?

So glad you not like some other guy(can't remember his name) who cried and moaned and blamed everyone cos he fell and broke his hip during the 1st Juma and would never ride again and blah blah blah...

You sir are a true Mountain Biker! Hope you have an amazing day out there!

It was about 15km in, in the Montgomery Park section, in the piece of veld that runs close to John Adamson Drive. Chasing my mates where the path makes a fork, my brain went one way and my steed the other way. Splat and crash! I had to ride another 2 kms before my wife could come and fetch me, and that hurt like f@#K. 

Sh#t happens, and to not ride again because of my fault would be ridiculous. After all, you are completely in control of your bike. If it's too slippery, get off and push FFS.

Check you okes there, we're going to have a jol :)

Edited by Eugene Brown

• 1 month later...

Do you need a CSA license for this event, i don't see any mention of it unless i missed it?

The JUMA doesn't show as a listed event on the CSA website, so that would indicate that it is not sanctioned... or... their application to be included on the calendar hasn't been processed.

So based on the first scenario (non-sanctioned) the answer is "No! You won't need a licence". And they probably won't be obliged to charge a day licence, nor pay over the R6 rider levy.

That said, it means any rider with a FULL RACING LICENCE is not allowed to take part - and I can't see anyone taking part receiving a fine and a suspension.

Do you need a CSA license for this event, i don't see any mention of it unless i missed it?

They didn't charge extra for a day license either and as Frosty said, it doesn't appear under the CSA calendar so no need to worry about it.

Did the 54km last year, bloody awesome race, thoroughly enjoyed it.  Going to be missing it for the next three years due it falling in Ramadhaan.

Hopefully it's still going to be happening in 2020...

Enjoyed last year. Saw them erecting scaffolding on Jan Smuts, got a wee bit excited.

Are entries still open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was merely pointing out that it's pretty shitty of slow riders/walkers to hog the rideable line.

I don't act tough, I AM tough. I ride my SS faster and as skillfully as you do with all your gears

I was merely pointing out that it's pretty shitty of slow riders/walkers to hog the rideable line.

I don't act tough, I AM tough. I ride my SS faster and as skillfully as you do with all your gears

When you ride a single speed on anything slightly technical or up hills Momentum is your best friend... This event isnt sponsored by Momentum its Hollard... 

I was able to enter day before yesterday, will be my first Juma, looking forward to it - seeing they've spent one and a half mil on the route.

So who entered 54 km single speed?

There's no mountains and plenty sections riding through water/sewage/mud and what not (just keep your nose + mouth + eyes shut for a few seconds and hope for the best)...mostly on the spruit, perfect for ss.

Considering, strongly. But I'm taking camelback if I do decide to ride. Last year I was too scared to drink after the melrose aquaduct, that I ended up cramping up that bitch-ass hill in mellville ( could also have been the lack of training)

SS for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk