[Event] Hollard JUMA

Events Bot

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was supposed to do my 2nd Juma today. Came down with the snot, cold and feel *** disease yesterday. Decided not to ride. Videos looked good tho. Oh well, next year

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Was such a jol doing my first JUMA. Anatomic tunnel was scary... Was wearing prescription sunglasses and my light stopped working. So chose to ride short sighted and sunnies up. Fortunately made it through with no slips! Will definitely do it again

Lekker race, wet and cold but lekker! That Anatomic tunnel scared the hell out of me! Guy in front of me went down 5 times - we were in B batch so he wasn't even a rookie, really hope he's okay tonight.

This race gets better each year. I crashed plenty times. Fortunately nothing serious. There is an art to riding the tunnel. I crashed once in there, and then a bit later heard the guys behind me hit the deck.

Gee whiz Natrix did you have rent a crowd for you at the end [emoji23]. Very nice video.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

:whistling:

I started with him. I struggled to stay with him riding towards Bryanston drive, after that i passed him on a technical section and never saw him again, I think the gearing he chose was a bit too ambitious for the second half.

:blush: Shows how slow I am then :) :) :)

This race gets better each year. I crashed plenty times. Fortunately nothing serious. There is an art to riding the tunnel. I crashed once in there, and then a bit later heard the guys behind me hit the deck.

Yip, I went down in the tunnel - my Knog light totally ineffectual in the eternal blackness in the middle of the tunnel.

Fell once more in the next series of stormwater drains - back wheel hit some of that green moss carpet and fishtailed out from under me. After that it was plain sailing apart from the uphill in the Melville cemetery -did make the ice-cold red bull at the last stop taste that much better tho'... :thumbup:

A question from a roadie - are all of those ramps, both with scaffolding and otherwise, put up specifically for this event? Presumably there aren't left up for the year?

Looks like a serious bit of work getting the route built...

A question from a roadie - are all of those ramps, both with scaffolding and otherwise, put up specifically for this event? Presumably there aren't left up for the year?

Yes all the scaffolding bridges are just for the event. They do build some permanent bridges that are left as part of uplifting the spruit but I don't know of any new permanent bridges this year. I think this year was much easier for them because everything was in the same place, so they could just replicate it, still a massive undertaking though.

Was it just me or was there alot more water in the stormwater system than last year. Cant remember being so wet and cold last year! Still great fun!!

Edited by SteveS

Yesterday was a HARD day on the bike...much harder than last year, in my opinion.

The combination of cold, water, slime and a bit of illness after sani made it a tough day in the saddle.

I rode with A batch, so the route was relatively clean.  I can't imagine what it looked like after 500+ bikes had been through there.  Much respect to the guys starting late and finishing.

I'm not sure about the yellow grating you see every now and then, but the scaffold is purpose built and removed after the event. One of the reasons that the event is pricier than others.

As far as I know the little concrete ramps in the storm drains were also purpose built but are obviously permanent.

Yes all the scaffolding bridges are just for the event. They do build some permanent bridges that are left as part of uplifting the spruit but I don't know of any new permanent bridges this year. I think this year was much easier for them because everything was in the same place, so they could just replicate it, still a massive undertaking though.

Was it just me or was there alot more water in the stormwater system than last year. Cant remember being so wet and cold last year! Still great fun!!

A pretty impressive venture. Quite visionary.