Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Doing the Epic this year on my new SRAM Eagle (10-50) with a 34T up front. Any opinions on that? 

That will be fine - same gearing as I used last year on a 2 x 10 - just slightly bigger gaps - i will also be running eagle with a 34 this year.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing the Epic this year on my new SRAM Eagle (10-50) with a 34T up front. Any opinions on that? 

My two cents...

Download the bike gear calculator from Matix. Based on a 2.3 x 29 tyre size:

34 x 50 gives a 0.68 gear ratio and a speed of 8.4 kays at around 75rpm.

I ran a 2 x 11 last year, 26 x 42 which gives a 0.62 gear ratio and a speed of 7.6 kays.

Given that there is heaps of climbing and probably *** sand, I'd also take along a 32, which will give a 0.64 gear ratio and a speed of 7.9.

Tom

Mmm...was thinking that too. Since I use 104BCD, a 32T chainring should not be too difficult to source at race village right? Ok I accept at an inflated price!! I recall rumours from last year that a LOT of people got sick due to food poisoning. Any concerns around that? I am not so lucky to have alternative accommodation, bathroom or food sources..the race village is my destiny! 

I'm getting excited....for no other reason than I wont have to deal with work for that week - so over it.

On a serious note - I like to think I'm ready...now just have to hope for favourable conditions...anyone got some input on this?

Last time I got in a lot of trouble for saying obvious things like : "This tread is for people preparing for the Epic only"  :thumbdown:  I'm not gonna do that this time.... Please share your info and knowledge on gear, training, nutrition ect ect!

Also, don't forget your sense of humor  :thumbup:

Good luck with everyone's preparation!! 

Try and get through Day 1 and Day 2

I'm getting excited....for no other reason than I wont have to deal with work for that week - so over it.

On a serious note - I like to think I'm ready...now just have to hope for favourable conditions...anyone got some input on this?

Prepare for anything.... sand, wind, mud rain, hail, lightening, illness, food poisoning, snake bite or any type.... and enjoy the ride....don't forget beer is great for recovery... and at all costs avoid USN recover max... (please don't ask)

Prepare for anything.... sand, wind, mud rain, hail, lightening, illness, food poisoning, snake bite or any type.... and enjoy the ride....don't forget beer is great for recovery.  :thumbup: .. and at all costs avoid USN recover max... (please don't ask)

Well now I have to ask, please elaborate 

Well now I have to ask, please elaborate 

Your favorite activity might become bathroom visits..... just about everyone I know who has tried it has the same feeling - you have to be really used to it and not sensitive to it's ingredients to add it to a days riding food..... and even if you are comfortable with it now, that might change... pack some tissues somewhere....

But - if you are having a little looseness and it catches you mid ride - here are some things we as a team have learned over the years (and this includes my partner missing the last day for stomach issues):

1 - put your hear rate monitor belt completely under your bib straps - no point in taking it off mid stop....

2 - once it starts, it doesn't stop really easily - put bib straps over shirt to speed up emergency stops... don't worry about being embarrassed - everyone understands and is praying it doesn't happen to them.

3 - pack some stuff in your kit to take with you - Imodium at a bare minimum and an intestinal antibiotic as well - for in case - chat to your gp and something for gut cramping/nausea too.

4 - visit the doc immediately you think you might be having stomach issues - chances are they will want to leave it and get it out - but they will help with meds the second visit...

5 - if you do get a drip post ride - if you go back to the medics tent the same day they will probably hospitalize you and your race is done.

6 - don't wait till 30 min before the start to take something if needed...

7 - The jackals at the back will try and get you home in time - be nice to them

8 - LAST but not least - you cannot overdose on pro-biotics - start today with 2 - 4 daily, and continue that during the race - trust me on this.... and pro-biotics have no known side effects... and well published benefits.

One of the major things you can do to prevent stomach issues is hygiene - wash your hands in CLEAN water religiously - after every bathroom visit and before meals, DONT drink the water in the shower, make sure your bottles are clean and use clean water for drinks. Keep you hands away from your face at all times. Clean the toilet seat and surrounds before you use it. Sterilise anything that comes into contact with something that might be contaminated.... especially in the undershorts and hands areas..... wash your gloves every day...... MAKE your partner do the same...

The only thing I carry to sterilize anything is a small spray bottle of surgical spirits - just don't drink it or get it in the urethra..... otherwise it's pretty effective - I don't pack to be a medic on the race, so don't look for me in the middle of the night. If you want to talk **** and drink beer we will be there somewhere.... introduce yourself. :)

Your favorite activity might become bathroom visits..... just about everyone I know who has tried it has the same feeling - you have to be really used to it and not sensitive to it's ingredients to add it to a days riding food..... and even if you are comfortable with it now, that might change... pack some tissues somewhere....

But - if you are having a little looseness and it catches you mid ride - here are some things we as a team have learned over the years (and this includes my partner missing the last day for stomach issues):

1 - put your hear rate monitor belt completely under your bib straps - no point in taking it off mid stop....

2 - once it starts, it doesn't stop really easily - put bib straps over shirt to speed up emergency stops... don't worry about being embarrassed - everyone understands and is praying it doesn't happen to them.

3 - pack some stuff in your kit to take with you - Imodium at a bare minimum and an intestinal antibiotic as well - for in case - chat to your gp and something for gut cramping/nausea too.

4 - visit the doc immediately you think you might be having stomach issues - chances are they will want to leave it and get it out - but they will help with meds the second visit...

5 - if you do get a drip post ride - if you go back to the medics tent the same day they will probably hospitalize you and your race is done.

6 - don't wait till 30 min before the start to take something if needed...

7 - The jackals at the back will try and get you home in time - be nice to them

8 - LAST but not least - you cannot overdose on pro-biotics - start today with 2 - 4 daily, and continue that during the race - trust me on this.... and pro-biotics have no known side effects... and well published benefits.

One of the major things you can do to prevent stomach issues is hygiene - wash your hands in CLEAN water religiously - after every bathroom visit and before meals, DONT drink the water in the shower, make sure your bottles are clean and use clean water for drinks. Keep you hands away from your face at all times. Clean the toilet seat and surrounds before you use it. Sterilise anything that comes into contact with something that might be contaminated.... especially in the undershorts and hands areas..... wash your gloves every day...... MAKE your partner do the same...

The only thing I carry to sterilize anything is a small spray bottle of surgical spirits - just don't drink it or get it in the urethra..... otherwise it's pretty effective - I don't pack to be a medic on the race, so don't look for me in the middle of the night. If you want to talk **** and drink beer we will be there somewhere.... introduce yourself. :)

Awesome, thanks man! Going to be very careful and pro-biotica'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two cents worth and a few wise words of wisdom...

1. You get the same medal if you come second or last, so if you're not a racing snake, enjoy the moment. Have fun, stop and take pics as you'll be going places you won't really see again (I still wish I had taken pics of that UFO thing on the way to Rusty Gates in 2014).

2. If you think you're going to slow, slow down.. You only have to average around 11 kays per hour to finish, and you get more bang for your buck if you're out there suffering for 9 hours instead of 5...

3. Make friends with the Woolies Recovery Team, or take lots of money with you, as you will probably ditch the 'food' the caterers offer.

4. The bum clinic team are fantastic. Use them sooner rather than later, and always go there with a clean butt. Also make sure you shave your backside - see point 9 below..

5. Take a roll of your favourite two-ply. The cleaners are sometimes late replenishing the toilets in the morning..

6. Keeping your stomach strong - best advice is to always check for bum cream in the jelly babies at the water points... Preferably eat the goodies still in their wrappers. Also follow the good advice given in the posts above.

7. Remember there is a huge difference between nutrition and hydration - many riders forget this on the first day with all the nerves... 

8.Chill - you'll have your moments, and so will your partner.

9. Never let your wife pull the tape off your backside in an open parking lot.

10. There will be some dude standing naked on the side of the track mumbling to himself for some reason on about day 6. Don't worry or feel embarrassed if it is you, everyone riding past isn't the least concerned and accepts this as normal behaviour at this stage of the race.

Tom

It is a free meal you get at the finish line - make full use of the service. They will be your best friends after a day!

Tom

My two cents worth and a few wise words of wisdom...

3. Make friends with the Woolies Recovery Team, or take lots of money with you, as you will probably ditch the 'food' the caterers offer.

Tom

Great thx! I was however more alluding to your point 3. If the "food" is that bad, what are your options? I.e. buy food? From where? Cash/Card/Zapper?

Great thx! I was however more alluding to your point 3. If the "food" is that bad, what are your options? I.e. buy food? From where? Cash/Card/Zapper?

Literally boarding school food in the tents, the only really **** thing about the Epic, powdered egg and powdered coffee every morning... cant believe some of the big dogs at the epic dont rock up a scene bout this... some1 should...

Ok, all the roadies were crying today, although some rode various areas to get in a ride.

We just packed in our mtb's and hit the slopes of Hoogekraal for a lekka ride. There was wind but nothing as hectic as in town.

We just have the best of all worlds. MTB rulez.

Also: scary all the half-baked ideas a lot of these guys came up with e.g. of changing route last second, blasting organisers etc.....most have probably never even organised a small event and tried to change location at last second.

Anyhooooo.....my point is: one week to Epic!!

Sooooo ready.

And i know it won't be cancelled....for anything. Well i hope so... :whistling: :clap:

Archived