Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myles my sincere apologies for stating my opinion. You are the hubs resident know it all and it was silly of me to try and defend my opinion. After all, who am I to argue with an overweight wannabe downhiller who nearly finished the Argus that one time. Sorry again.

post-46013-0-59425900-1490642991_thumb.jpg

I've done a few Trailseeker Half Marathons, so the tech stuff I can do.

Let me assure you that the tech skills requirements of an epic are higher than any other mtb race in Sa that is not DH or enduro - go and ride up and down groenlandberg from both sides and you will be partly enlightened... then do it at race speeds....

The final decent on day 1 was also interesting - loose rough rocky narrow and steep... and sustained.... oh - and it was HOT too.

Nothing on w2w is in that league - I will guarantee that.

One of the changes I made this year was to run a Knobby Nic on the front... in place of a roro- best move ever having it on.

Let me assure you that the tech skills requirements of an epic are higher than any other mtb race in Sa that is not DH or enduro - go and ride up and down groenlandberg from both sides and you will be partly enlightened... then do it at race speeds....

The final decent on day 1 was also interesting - loose rough rocky narrow and steep... and sustained.... oh - and it was HOT too.

One of the changes I made this year was to run a Knobby Nic on the front... in place of a roro- best move ever having it on.

V12, cant believe I have never ridden up groenlandberg. Which route did you guys use to get up ?

V12, cant believe I have never ridden up groenlandberg. Which route did you guys use to get up ?

There are 3 options, but most people only use 2. One is from the top of Viljoens pass the half way down and across (like this year's route) the other is from Van der stell pass half way between Botriver and Viljoens pass. the former is easier, if it can be called this. Then the run down to Thandi is INTERSTING especially at speed.

Yes, understood. I was referring to the tech skills required for W2W though. I have done A - Z trail before, and only the first 4 was tricky for me.

I understand that the Epic is a step up. In 2 weeks I might have a ride at Elandskloof, and someone else has invited me for a ride over Groenlandberg.

I do most of my riding at Helderberg and Eden/G-Spot/Coetzenburg. So I am working on those tech skills.

Edited by Moridin

Yes, understood. I was referring to the tech skills required for W2W though. I have done A - Z trail before, and only the first 4 was tricky for me.

I understand that the Epic is a step up. In 2 weeks I might have a ride at Elandskloof, and someone else has invited me for a ride over Groenlandberg.

I do most of my riding at Helderberg and Eden/G-Spot/Coetzenburg. So I am working on those tech skills.

You will be fine for w2w - it's very rideable - fun.

Very good places to practice. You also may want to do Jonkers. Canaries is riding BEAUTIFULLY at the moment, and you have to think quite fast.

There are 3 options, but most people only use 2. One is from the top of Viljoens pass the half way down and across (like this year's route) the other is from Van der stell pass half way between Botriver and Viljoens pass. the former is easier, if it can be called this. Then the run down to Thandi is INTERSTING especially at speed.

The way we went up this year wasn't a technical challenge at all - just a long climb - the downhill was interesting.... but we have previously been up that downhill and that is a challenge to ride. Edited by V12man

I just followed the white boards with red arrows... :) - I don't have a clue where it really went.