The Classics

'Dale

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Barring a mechanical or crash, I can’t see anyone capable of beating MvdP, not even Lidl-Trek. It would’ve been a  different discussion had the crash on Wednesday not happened.

I think Trek Lidl will be all guns blazing for Mads Pederson. He will be the biggest threat for MvdP

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, W@nted said:

I think Trek Lidl will be all guns blazing for Mads Pederson. He will be the biggest threat for MvdP

Depends how much hitting the deck took out of Mads. 

RVV musings:

The 2023 champion is cooling his heels a bit from a highly successful racing stint. I think I saw somewhere that he is sitting at a 34% winning ratio for every race that he has started as a professional. The Slovenian is heading back to altitude training and will be back for some more race days in the Ardennes and then the Giro. He is clearly wanting to win all the races on the race calendar. Box ticking of the most demanding kind.

Wout will likely reset and be at the Tour de France. It seems that the Giro was an opportunity and 'reward' to pursue individual interests. Into the fold steps the American from Idaho, an unlikely yet very capable new hire, formerly at Movistar, to hold up Vlisma Lease A Bike's Spring ambitions. He's living the dream!

Mads admitted in recent interviews that RvV is not well suited to him even thought he will line up at the start. He was able to find his bike and get back in the saddle at DDV. I suspect he will target Paris-Roubaix next weekend and turn that 4th at MSR into a podium or win in the old mining town's velodrome.

Mah-tay-yoh - no curse of the rainbow jersey there. He is looking in superior form. Hard to see who can stop him from getting on the top step. And, then again, this is a team sport. 

Where are the Steppers? Are they now fully repurposed as a GC team? The next two weekends of Holy Week will be crucial for them. Can Asgreen execute some magic?

I am holding thumbs for a certain Italian in a pink jersey who is a previous winner.

106th-ronde-van-vlaanderen-tour-des-flanPic: @podiumcafe

Edited by 'Dale

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

I am holding thumbs for a certain Italian in a pink jersey who is a previous winner.

What happened to your tjommie in pink on Wednesday? Cramps?

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

What happened to your tjommie in pink on Wednesday? Cramps?

Left piston cramp. Ow! It's always surreal to see a World Tour rider suffer with cramp. Here's hoping Bettiol had his share of that especially as we look to the Holy Week. With Powless out with knee injury that came on sharply and unexpectedly at Tirreno', all the lime light is on the Italian to represent.

About tomorrow's little race that starts in Antwerp this time:

Weather gods: cool and cloudy, 15°C and with the chance of rain. A SE wind will blow at 15-20km/h which makes it a factor in the headwind/tailwind sense at times but it won’t cause much crosswind action.

The two rainbow jerseys are the outright favourites for both men and  No curse there, seemingly. Vos's best result here is 13th after several appearances and she is looking in fine form after recent surgery. MVDP is the 2nd most successful finisher here, after Musseuw's 3 wins, 3 2nd spots and a handful of 3rd placings.

From the team on Cannondales’ website - they’ll be wearing black and white retro jerseys as a "homage to all of the riders that have rattled over the cobbles and pushed through wind". Some cool and creative marketing by Rapha. 

IMG_6394.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

23 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Left piston cramp. Ow! It's always surreal to see a World Tour rider suffer with cramp. Here's hoping Bettiol had his share of that especially as we look to the Holy Week.

He was looking ominous before the piston failure; hopefully that was just temporary.

Tomorrow RVV is going to be great! Was fortunate to ride the We Ride Flanders. The weather was wet and cold and riding those wet, slippery cobbles gave me new respect for the speed the pros do on that terrain! Mind blowing. Atmosphere at Patterberg and Oude kwaremont was electric. 

9 hours ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_6394.jpeg

im having serious calf envy looking at her legs... jorra!!!!!

Edited by Paulst12

On 3/28/2024 at 7:43 PM, 'Dale said:

While we count the slapies / skapies until Sunday’s 2nd Monument of 2024, I saw this interesting graph (by full gaz cycling) as posted by @lucasaganronald on TweetieBird. 

Interestingly, Alpecin-Deceunick operating at an estimated 15-25 million kudos - classic example of overachievement.

Budget caps from 2025? It’s complicated.

IMG_6361.jpeg

What's the x axis, cool factor? 

A reminder that daylight savings kicked in today, so the EU is on the same time zone as SA… live coverage starts from 10:30 (Sporza).

spacer.png

With the rain and crosswinds, is Mads mad going in the break with a sore body and more than 80 kms to go? I’m wondering whether he is riding super domestique for another teammate. Whatever it is, it’s brave. 

Bettiol in stealth mode with his retro style jersey. This is high quality chess on two wheels. The rainbow jersey have burnt a few matches already, as well as the Vlisma Lease A Bike leader.

This race is wide open, although the team with faux denim looks very much in control. 2400 m of vert today, with most of the hellingen arriving in the final 60 kms of the race.

Edited by 'Dale

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

When last did we see them pushing their bikes up the Koppenberg?

Just add water.💧

Lotto Kopecky wearing white shorts was just running up the Koppenberg too.

Pic: Getty Imagesspacer.png

Edited by 'Dale