Free trails in the cape

jimmy hardtail

Hey all, just wondering if there are any free access trails around the greater cape town area besides gspot/eden or black hill. I want to try and do a trail ride each day these holidays but 50 bucks a pop is gonna destroy my budget in a week

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tygerberg MTB club has the end of year discount running for R350 till the end of the year..............and then you get Koeberg Nature Reserve :P

Hey all, just wondering if there are any free access trails around the greater cape town area besides gspot/eden or black hill. I want to try and do a trail ride each day these holidays but 50 bucks a pop is gonna destroy my budget in a week

Them, and the green belts. They're not technical, but they're a good ride. 

Then as of 1st, you can do from Table Mountain to Tokai. And if tokai opens soon, then there's that. 

Otherwise free = green belts / g spot / eden / blackhill. 

Wildekrans near Botrivier. Lebanon is about R30 IIRC.

Just remember to take money for a cold one and a Springbok Pie at Peregrine on the way back.

Consider Tygerberg MTB Club membership for December it includes all Welvanpass trails in Wellington and all our local Durbanville trails , combine these with some LSD rides in between the farms on the gravel roads and you will have a perfect mix of riding !

Tygerberg MTB club has the end of year discount running for R350 till the end of the year..............and then you get Koeberg Nature Reserve :P

Koeberg has recovered nicely after the fire. Lots of baby animals - even saw my first wildebeests there on the weekend, along with the elands, zebras, and springbokkies, especially if you go early or late afternoon.

Consider Tygerberg MTB Club membership for December it includes all Welvanpass trails in Wellington and all our local Durbanville trails , combine these with some LSD rides in between the farms on the gravel roads and you will have a perfect mix of riding !

If I had to spend R50 a ride (i.e. 7 rides at TB), I'd do the following 7 rides:

1. Jonkershoek

2. Welvanpas

3. Simonsberg concervancy

4. Paul Cluver/Thandi/Oak Valley

5. Helderberg Farm (Steilte)

6. Hemel en Aarde

7. Bottelary Concervancy

TB is nice, but does not offer the variety that the WC has to offer, and to make it worth while you have to do the same trails more than 7 times.

If I had to spend R50 a ride (i.e. 7 rides at TB), I'd do the following 7 rides:

1. Jonkershoek

2. Welvanpas

6. Hemel en Aarde

7. Bottelary Concervancy

TB is nice, but does not offer the variety that the WC has to offer, and to make it worth while you have to do the same trails more than 7 times.

Agreed

1. Jonkershoek

2. Welvanpas

6. Hemel en Aarde

7. Bottelary Concervancy

And then add the cost of travel (time + petrol)

Tygerberg is a nice and condensed trail network.

Anyone know the route for the new GB trails opening on Thursday?  

There was mention of one access route off the M3 to gain access to the top track behind Newlands Forest. Is this from the Rhodes access road?  Then route goes behind Kirstenbosch - Cecelia Forest, Constantia Neck.

Tygerberg is a nice and condensed trail network.

The brown belt. I just can't with that place this time of year. It's the opposite of what Mountain Biking is to me.

Yes yes. I'm the dick I'm the arse. But that's my opinion and no matter how hard I try I just can't shake it.

The brown belt. I just can't with that place this time of year. It's the opposite of what Mountain Biking is to me.

Yes yes. I'm the dick I'm the arse. But that's my opinion and no matter how hard I try I just can't shake it.

If you compare the landscape with say Jonkershoek or Welvanpas, it can be rather depressing, unless you like 5 different views of Table Mountain, then the TB trails should be your thing.

Wildekrans near Botrivier. Lebanon is about R30 IIRC.

Just remember to take money for a cold one and a Springbok Pie at Peregrine on the way back.

1. Jonkershoek

2. Welvanpas

6. Hemel en Aarde

7. Bottelary Concervancy

Two perfect posts!

Springbok pies and awesome trails!

Off topic - On Sunday at Peregrine the guy in front of me was ordering a springbokkie pie and got moaned at by one of the tannies - she said "it's VENISON not SPRINGBOK!!" and got a bit agro repeating herself a few times (I noted on the menu it does now say venison and not springbok).  So when it was my turn to order I said "four springbok pies please"  :P   She glared at me and then got them without saying anything...

Archived