Free trails in the cape

jimmy hardtail

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stay in Muizenberg. Rode tokai weekly since about 2001. In the last 2 years i have ridden most of the more tech and dh trails in the western cape but what i really miss is the loose dirt in the trees that the tokai horse trails offered up. I am tired of riding on dirt so hard that it has black tire marks on the surface. I want loose , i want roost, i wanna be able to rail a corner and feel my tires ripping into the soft loam and spraying up dirt like an old 2stroke 125 mx bike!

Basically i want a forest and virgin dirt. For which i will happily pay entry fees. I was just hoping someone knew of a secret trail somewhere that would be worth checking

Although strava has probably ended all of those...

I would add grabouw to the list - some of the old trails (non W2W) are still there if you know where they are.  There is one long descent where you can roost as much as you like......but then most of the trees are also gone :(

Sorry for hijack, but if joining Tygerberg Club, are all trails in Durbanville area and Walvenpas free to enter?

Also sorry for hijacking this post, but I see the annual membership for Tygerberg now states "valid till 31 December 2017."

Does that mean that if I buy one now I am good to go? Meaning I dont have to wait until January for the new year to start?

Sorry for hijack, but if joining Tygerberg Club, are all trails in Durbanville area and Walvenpas free to enter?

Yes...

Bloemendull, Nitida, Hillcrest, Hoogekraal, Morondull, Welvanpas and the various "members only" corridors between them.

Majik as well, but that's free to everyone.

Starting at Majik you can easily get a 90km ride out of the Durbanville stuff alone...if you're that way inclined.

Also sorry for hijacking this post, but I see the annual membership for Tygerberg now states "valid till 31 December 2017."

Does that mean that if I buy one now I am good to go? Meaning I dont have to wait until January for the new year to start?

Correct.

It says officially valid to 31 Dec, but they have said they generally allow ppl to use till end Jan.

From their Faceplant page " Current membership runs out end of Jan. Officially it should end 31 Dec but we know that Dec can be a tough month.

Correct.

It says officially valid to 31 Dec, but they have said they generally allow ppl to use till end Jan.

From their Faceplant page " Current membership runs out end of Jan. Officially it should end 31 Dec but we know that Dec can be a tough month.

I think he means if he buys next years membership (2017) can he ride now (Dec 2016). I think the answer is yes you can.

I think he means if he buys next years membership (2017) can he ride now (Dec 2016). I think the answer is yes you can.

Sorry, read it incorrectly, but yea...that's what I did last year and I never got moned at or named and shamed on their Facebook page.

Yes...

Bloemendull, Nitida, Hillcrest, Hoogekraal, Morondull, Welvanpas and the various "members only" corridors between them.

Majik as well, but that's free to everyone.

Starting at Majik you can easily get a 90km ride out of the Durbanville stuff alone...if you're that way inclined.

Ja, I did everything except Majik and Hillcrest earlier this year. Was about 65km with at a thumsuck 90% single track.

Ja, I did everything except Majik and Hillcrest earlier this year. Was about 65km with at a thumsuck 90% single track.

Don't leave out Majik, some of the more interesting stuff is there :)

Yeah...a lap from Majik, Bloemendal, Nitidi, Hillcrest (only to get to Conties, not riding it), Conties (Without the silly Bushvine climb), Hoogekraal (with Trail Z) and return via Bloemslang gives around 65km or so with 1700m-1800m give or take climbing...A proper ride IMHO :)

Don't leave out Majik, some of the more interesting stuff is there :)

Yeah...a lap from Majik, Bloemendal, Nitidi, Hillcrest (only to get to Conties, not riding it), Conties (Without the silly Bushvine climb), Hoogekraal (with Trail Z) and return via Bloemslang gives around 65km or so with 1700m-1800m give or take climbing...A proper ride IMHO :)

I was too tired for Majik,

Yes, as soon as you receive your board, you can use it.

It is Friday so here goes:  There is no such thing as a "free" trail (not talking about jeeptrack or Koeberg).  Each and every piece of single track has to get build by someone and maintained by someone.  The "free" trails such as  Majik Forest, G Spot, Eden, the trails in Stellenbosch, the green-belt route, etc.   were paid for with  the sweat of the trail-builders and/or financial support by institutions such as Tygerberg MTB club, PPA, Stellenbosch Trail Fund,  Amarider, etc.   That trail you ride for "free" is not going to maintain itself  - someone is going to fork out money or effort (or both) to ensure that trail remains in a rideable  condition.  So, even if you don't have to buy a permit to ride certain trails,  you ride is not really "free". Someone is paying for your ride!  So, when you ride these "free" trails, consider making a donation to whatever institution or person is responsible for that trail you ride for "free".

I realise that trails dont build and maintain themselves. I have done a lot of volunteer build days at tokai in the past whenever i wasnt working. I also had my own little dirt jump trails running about 15 years ago and that required about 2 to 3 hours a day to keep it rideable after the kids where there on their mini mx bikes and the dads breaking the jumps so the kids could ride over. Used to do my head in to find our sweet doubles broken flat so some 4 year old could roll over them. So we started putting cement in the clay...

Archived