PPA warns cyclists not to use Paarden Island cycle lane after latest attack

News bot

Cycled that exact section this Saturday morning past at about 10:30AM. 

There were lots of vagrants and their structures right against the fence. 

Saw a bunch of vagrants standing around completely naked.

No other cyclists or commuters in sight, just a few homeless guys walking on the cycle path.

Very scary stuff.

Much rather going to ride on the verge of the N1 and then Marine Drive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of routing the cycle path along the My City Bus route made sense when they planned it. It seemed easier to patrol and secure it along the bus route with stations and security guards that are employed for that. It works for 90 % of the route.

Where the crime problems occur, is however the exception because there is a fairly lengthy stretch between stations with an area blocked from view. It would still have worked if there were barrier fences to keep the baddies out or prevent their easy escape, but the fences are broken repeatedly, partly because they are inappropriate for the high risk application. Further, the City has failed to deal decisively with the community of vagrants and squatters that live next to the N1. Transnet and Metrorail must also take some of the blame because their adjacent land attract the unwanted elements. As much as I understand the problem homeless people face, this area is a haven for criminals with ready made victims, purpose built ambush alleys, easy escape routes and a willing market for stolen goods nearby. 

How to deal with it? Catch the robbers, jail them, move the rest, police it, keep the fences intact. It will also benefit the current upswing and redevelopment of the East City and Woodstock areas. 

Edited by DJR

I remember back in the day, we used to cycle through the section on the right of the N1, as you head out to CT, through the depot area - not sure if that is a "private" road, but they stopped cyclists from access - they have booms there, and we used to just slide through on the sides and make our way through "harbor" till we got out the other side, importantly, safe and sound and not being mugged. 

My question :  are we still prohibited from going through there ? .....and secondly can they (I assume Transnet) deny us access to that road ? 

Edited by GoFastORGoHome

Firstly; We are indeed very fortunate to have such an extended, well maintained cycle path system in Cape Town. Cyclists in other cities have no idea how lucky we are. I often try and cycle on the green paths in Sandton and it's completely useless. So kudos to the City of Cape Town.

Secondly; Routing the cycling lane along the bus route makes logical sense from many different angles. Land ownership, no traffic, etc.

Thirdly; As posted above, it's only a small section that's problematic. But it is a big problem. And likely there is no short term solution. I've seen attempts at patrolling the section under discussion but the resource requirements to do it properly will make it very expensive.

For me, as above, an immediate solution is to re-open the harbour like it used to be.

Failing that, it's not a huge project to construct a path on the outside of the harbour fence, where the single track currently runs. I often cycle it in or out of town (MTB) and it's safe with more than enough space. The Woodstock off-ramp is the only danger point you need to cross.

I typically cycle into town with the cycle path as there are enough other cyclists early on a weekend. But coming back I always do the N1 to Marine Drive.

On Sunday morning the cops pulled me over on this section stating I'm not allowed on the highway. Had to get off.

If more and more cyclists are going to use this road, I can see the dollar signs in a few cop eyes, fining cyclists on this section.

Anyone knows where the N1 formally starts, coming out of Cape Town? I rode it twice on Monday on my motorbike and there are no signs posted.

Edited by JannievanZyl

I remember back in the day, we used to cycle through the section on the right of the N1, as you head out to CT, through the depot area - not sure if that is a "private" road, but they stopped cyclists from access - they have booms there, and we used to just slide through on the sides and make our way through "harbor" till we got out the other side, importantly, safe and sound and not being mugged. 

My question :  are we still prohibited from going through there ? .....and secondly can they (I assume Transnet) deny us access to that road ? 

no access unless you have a pass

controls came into place after 9/11 and the USA wanting all shipments coming to it's shores to come via secure ports. the access control is part of those controls.

also used to use the harbour before it was closed off to the general public.

that bridge rocking in the wind or when trucks came over (end of harbour leaving city) was always interesting

managed to snap a rear mtb rim on/in those rail way lines on a wet morning ride.

To avoid the hotspot:

Going out of town, leave the bike lane by way of that long ramp that takes you up to the Lower Church Street bridge (by the Old Brewery). Turn left at the top and loop round to join the N1, but while in the loopy onramp hop on the single track that runs right next to the road. It goes alongside the N1 and over the sidewalk on the bridge and then next to Marine Drive all the way to the harbour entrance in Paarden Island. Then you have a wide yellow shoulder until you join the bike path again by the market. The single track is a bit bumpy and not really skinny tire compatible, but what are you doing commuting on your race sled for anyway!? Any tire more than 25mm will be fine on that ST.

Going in do the same in reverse - just use the loopy onramp as an offramp, cross the bridge at the top, zoom down that rampy ramp and roll into town. If you're uncomfortable going against the traffic on the shoulder then just cross the road for those bits. 

QED.

Edited by openmind

no access unless you have a pass

controls came into place after 9/11 and the USA wanting all shipments coming to it's shores to come via secure ports. the access control is part of those controls.

also used to use the harbour before it was closed off to the general public.

that bridge rocking in the wind or when trucks came over (end of harbour leaving city) was always interesting

managed to snap a rear mtb rim on/in those rail way lines on a wet morning ride.

Ja swaer, die goeie ou dae !!!   

is the N1 not slow moving in the AM and PM?

Not if you're northbound in the morning and southbound in the afternoon.

To avoid the hotspot:

Going out of town, leave the bike lane by way of that long ramp that takes you up to the Lower Church Street bridge (by the Old Brewery). Turn left at the top and loop round to join the N1, but while in the loopy onramp hop on the single track that runs right next to the road. It goes alongside the N1 and over the sidewalk on the bridge and then next to Marine Drive all the way to the harbour entrance in Paarden Island. Then you have a wide yellow shoulder until you join the bike path again by the market. The single track is a bit bumpy and not really skinny tire compatible, but what are you doing commuting on your race sled for anyway!? Any tire more than 25mm will be fine on that ST.

Going in do the same in reverse - just use the loopy onramp as an offramp, cross the bridge at the top, zoom down that rampy ramp and roll into town. If you're uncomfortable going against the traffic on the shoulder then just cross the road for those bits.

QED.

what are the thorns like on that section these day's. ...always remember it being rather bad

Nobody would know, law enforcement dont go there...

His mates will find him and violence will escalate... Not great for the next rider the happen upon.

what are the thorns like on that section these day's. ...always remember it being rather bad

There is an odd duiweltjie or two, but Stan sorts them out. 

I'm so confused now. :huh: I just started cycling in January of this year and used the N1 after hearing how bad this path was. Then a couple of months ago (on a Saturday morning) I got clipped by a car (no serious injuries, driver sped off) and decided never again on the N1. I started using this path without any issues. Now I read this... What to do?

What is it with law our enforcement. At any hot spot, be it the cycle lane or the N2, the best way to catch these criminals is entrapment with undercover policemen and backup. Patrolling is a waste of time and money. One entrapment operation in the morning fortnightly will secure these areas and keep the scum where they should be, in jail. 

What is it with law our enforcement. At any hot spot, be it the cycle lane or the N2, the best way to catch these criminals is entrapment with undercover policemen and backup. Patrolling is a waste of time and money. One entrapment operation in the morning fortnightly will secure these areas and keep the scum where they should be, in jail. 

This is exactly the solution! Often what appears to be a crime wave is just two lone criminals. We saw the effect on Devils Peak. Caught one guy and it was safe for a year afterwards.

What about installing Camera's on that section?

It works in the other hotspots in the city, why will it not work here?

Even though they might not prevent the mugging, recording it can assist Law Enforcement in their investigation, re. Identification of suspects, etc.