conversations with a table mountain mugger - groundup article

Shebeen

I stopped reading where the author said he did not alert he police because he did not want to betray the trust of a killer, thief, drug addict etc.

And everyone thinks there is something wrong with Norton.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy solution.

1x9mm between the eyes

Not a good place - well done it does less damage than you want- just runs between the hemispheres... makes for a lot of work for me and a big team..

Not a good place - well done it does less damage than you want- just runs between the hemispheres... makes for a lot of work for me and a big team..

This made me chuckle  :ph34r:

Perhaps the SAPS / Hawks would like to have a chat to the journalist in this tale of two polar opposites, seeing as clearly it's okay to allow crime to go unreported in the interest of "journalistic integrity"...

And they expect us to take them seriously...honestly, the mind surely goes numb sometimes... :wacko:

*mini hijack*

some of the files are tw(o)o large. can you pm me an email addie for dropbox files ?

*hijack over*

#hugahubcriminaltoday

Are you accusing another of the very same "lack if conditioning" you don't seem to believe you suffer from? Or do you only see the negativity from the outside and remain oblivious to your own conditioning?

To stand in another's shoes requires one to remove the blinkers.

I am well aware of my own biases and the influence of my environment, however in my life I have made considerable efforts to view situations from others perspectives, in as much as this is possible. Could you be more specific as to what you think my "blinkers" are?

I used to work for someone who had a similar upbringing to Norton.  Drug dealer gang boss for a father (who was eventually murdered) with the whole family involved in the business.  Regular police raids, drive by's from rival gangs as well as being attacked and even shot at age seven just because of who you are.  To top it off, their cousin was also convicted of those gay nightclub murders from around the 2000's ish.  So you could say pretty low standards for a child to be brought up in.

However despite all of this, they persevered with schooling, got a job and moved out and are now in a stable relationship (over ten years) with kids.  

They are incredibly well spoken, humorous, intelligent, thoughtful and kind.  I would have no hesitations trusting them, and will happily leave my kids with them.

I understand that situations that kids are brought up in will shape the humans that they grow to become, but along the way they make their own decisions too.  Violence and crime is easy - its far harder to work yourself out of a situation.  Norton had an easy out (football) and chose to throw it all away.  That's an individual life choice and not a generalization due to his upbringing.

Spot on, well stated!!

What we're doing is discussing how to reverse the situation in which these Nortons come to be. Adjust the fatal alternatives, so to speak.

The common things for me here is:

Parental and gang influences, drug use and not completing school.

All this takes away opportunities/choices you could have had to fit in as a contributing member to society.

I stopped reading where the author said he did not alert he police because he did not want to betray the trust of a killer, thief, drug addict etc.

Perhaps the SAPS / Hawks would like to have a chat to the journalist in this tale of two polar opposites, seeing as clearly it's okay to allow crime to go unreported in the interest of "journalistic integrity"...

Now that I find to be an interesting moral discussion, how do a journalist get a intimate window into a criminal's world without being tainted by his actions.

Similar to that journalist that took a photo of the Ethiopian baby dying of hunger with the vulture patiently waiting, should he rather have helped than take a photo and make money of it?

Like groundup themselves has said, there would be good arguments both ways.

Now that I find to be an interesting moral discussion, how do a journalist get a intimate window into a criminal's world without being tainted by his actions.

Similar to that journalist that took a photo of the Ethiopian baby dying of hunger with the vulture patiently waiting, should he rather have helped than take a photo and make money of it?

With that pic, he helped the kid after he took it, afaik

But yes - agreed. As he said, he may have been able to tip them off, but then again it may just have been the ramblings of a tik-kop wanting to impress the journo. 

This piece may in fact go towards an investigation into the perp, purely due to the journalist's decisions. I don't know if he wouldn't hand his stuff over to the police now that he's received all the information he needed. 

I understand that situations that kids are brought up in will shape the humans that they grow to become, but along the way they make their own decisions too.

I think, actually I know how understated the relationship between parents and their children are.

If certain bonds are not made or are missing or certain negative bonds enforced, that child may never recover. Children don't have the knowledge to always "deal" with certain things.

If these things are not corrected early on, that child will always be back of the bus in society.

With that pic, he helped the kid after he took it, afaik

But yes - agreed. As he said, he may have been able to tip them off, but then again it may just have been the ramblings of a tik-kop wanting to impress the journo.

This piece may in fact go towards an investigation into the perp, purely due to the journalist's decisions. I don't know if he wouldn't hand his stuff over to the police now that he's received all the information he needed.

To be fair, he initially said that he didn't help and then changed to he did help as outrage grew globally. If I remember right he won a Pulitzer Prize for that pic, but eventually committed suicide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude, hubland can't even agree on the moral merits of drafting now you want to discuss this?

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/vulture-little-girl/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

:(

EDIT:

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/kevin-carter

Dude, hubland can't even agree on the moral merits of drafting now you want to discuss this?

Unfortunately  in most societies, morals are subjective to our individual ethos. What I may find morally repugnant, another may think its not so bad and what is the fuss about.  

Yes, there are certain things that most people agree is wrong/horrific like murder etc. but even there the lines are blurred.

I can't even decide for myself it was morally right or wrong to do, even less debate it on thehub - that is why I went for the fence sitting comment  :ph34r:

Archived