Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

I assume if I buy a 520 in Europe it would have the Western European mapset on it.  Does anybody perhaps know if there would be enough internal storage to also load the Southern Africa mapset or would that be pushing my luck?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you loaded the app? The app allows you to pair your fone with device. There are 2 pairings that need to be made, BLE Edge and BT Edge. App needs to be running in background with bluetooth on to recieve notifications. Activate Live Track amd Group Track in app. According to Garmin you can track any Live Track enabled device on your 820 when paired and connected but I have not been able to do this with friends with 520's.

In order for the Group Track function to work you also need to be "following" (for lack of a better word) you friends on Garmin Connect. ie. have your profiles linked.

In order for the Group Track function to work you also need to be "following" (for lack of a better word) you friends on Garmin Connect. ie. have your profiles linked.

I struggle to follow people. For some reason I cant get it right. I tried searching my wife and follow her. I find her profile but can't get the follow part right. I see my Dad follows me so must be something I am doing wrong.

Wish it was easy as strava.

I assume if I buy a 520 in Europe it would have the Western European mapset on it.  Does anybody perhaps know if there would be enough internal storage to also load the Southern Africa mapset or would that be pushing my luck?

I don't think that they 520 comes loaded with any maps at all.

The 820 does though

I struggle to follow people. For some reason I cant get it right. I tried searching my wife and follow her. I find her profile but can't get the follow part right. I see my Dad follows me so must be something I am doing wrong.

Wish it was easy as strava.

I think you have to send an invite if there profile is set to private then only when they confirm can you actually track them. (Sort of like Facebook request)

Yes there is if memory serves. the 820 has 16GB on memory and the main map file for SA is just over 5GB. there are a few smaller ones so maps take up about 8GB. So yes there is space depending on the map sizes.

The open source maps I used to use on my 810 were only 65MB so there is large difference in the fine details between maps. Unless things have changed in the last few years with the open source maps you can see levels down to district dirt roads etc, but the maps on the 820 show farm and private roads along with every goat and foot path. Basically any "track" you can see using google earth is marked.

Yes there is if memory serves. the 820 has 16GB on memory and the main map file for SA is just over 5GB. there are a few smaller ones so maps take up about 8GB. So yes there is space depending on the map sizes.

The open source maps I used to use on my 810 were only 65MB so there is large difference in the fine details between maps. Unless things have changed in the last few years with the open source maps you can see levels down to district dirt roads etc, but the maps on the 820 show farm and private roads along with every goat and foot path. Basically any "track" you can see using google earth is marked.

520?  But I will go check.  I just rememberd I have both mapsets on my Nuvi.  Will go check there.

Hmmm are you saying I should see 2 connections? I only see one, the BT 520. No BLE connection is available. I have the Garmin connect app, my Edge 510 connects fine.

When I try connect it says it's paired on my phone but in the app and on the Garmin shows as disconnected.

Maybe check on Garmin Express app or Garmin Connect on pc if your phone is authorised.

520?  But I will go check.  I just rememberd I have both mapsets on my Nuvi.  Will go check there.

Dcrainmaker advises that you copy and paste the original Garmin map file on your pc then delete it from 820 in order to load the Openstreet file/

Following and they show up on my connections in app. When they start a ride I get the email notifications for Live Track and they even show as a connection on device but I cant seem to see them on maps. I have checked settings even on there apps to se if something is amiss. Maybe I should get friends with 820's.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about buying the Edge 520 after much "research"

It will probably only be towards the end of the year.

In terms of the life cycle of the 520 when will the replacement models come out?

I dont want to get caught with a 520 only to see a month or 2 afterwards a new (replacement) model is out.

Thanks

Johan

You won't go wrong with it. I was reflecting on this thread on my ride this morning. I love my 520. It just works. No problems, no complications, no ***. I turn it on and it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was fortunate enough to get an Edge 1000 a week or so back(stupidly low price), have had The Edge 305, 705, 500, 510 and 520 (the latter i still have as well for the time being), Can honestly say that i have never used the mapping function on any of them, but will do on the 1000 as it is essentially a Satnav with a full bike computer etc all together, also has settings to use to control a Smart IDT as well....

On the point of the 510/520 and 820, sadly i cannot comment as the 800 series is the only of the bunch i have not owned....but now knowing the massive advantages in the 1000 i can only assume the middle place will be pretty good too

Also remember that all the reviews you will find are generally also going to be based on the original release software so the device controls will be VERY different, most features get added long after launch

Quick question to the 520 users.  It came to my attention that there is apparently no maps loaded from Garmin on the unit.  Did you all just load the relevant openstreet maps?

Quick question to the 520 users.  It came to my attention that there is apparently no maps loaded from Garmin on the unit.  Did you all just load the relevant openstreet maps?

Yip I just loaded the maps I ride most as well as out of town places i usually race.

Archived