[Event] 24 Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so who's cleaned their bike yet?

not me, but i did get round to a bit of video editing.

the cool thing about AR is that something like 24hr race is not too scary, it's just training!

so who's cleaned their bike yet?

not me, but i did get round to a bit of video editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSj7TtgVuP4&t

the cool thing about AR is that something like 24hr race is not too scary, it's just training!

Bike washed (yesterday) for Simonsberg contour, camping gear cleaned and packed away (Sunday afternoon). This was my most enjoyable 24hr Oak Valley to date. 22cc04e757e96d0a95ad0e4bceb65338.jpg

Must say it was very boring to see the leaders riding together so nicely...what happened to duking it out for the win?!

Just because we were riding together doesn't mean we weren't duking it out. This event is only about 40% physical, the rest is all mind games, strategy and mental toughness.

Quite right.

I didn't ride this year, I was managing the race for the eventual 2nd place finisher.

Trust me we were all 'duking it out' and we all gave everything we could to win.

​Monitoring lap times, trying to assess the competitions strengths and weaknesses (not many, it turned out..), developing and covering strategies, and all the while keeping our own athlete motivated, fuelled and healthy. I don't think any of us could have given any more.

I'm proud that we could do it all with a spirit of mutual respect (including a midnight coffee break, bike lube and some marginally insane banter), while never compromising our drive to win. Goes for Dane too, really good guy - formidable competitor.

It was not just watered down, it was damn right completely taken away. PV coach were told that the school riders may only ride in Fun teams, and were not allowed to actually race. So all the PV teams had parents riding as part of the team. Our team were comprised of me and my wife, my 2 schoolboys and another boy. We managed to ride 25 laps as a team, though we could have done 28 if my 2 boys did not get sick with the runs through the night.

Apparently some riders last year complained that the schoolboys were riding too aggressive.

missed this reply earlier.

I CALL BOLLOCKS! BRING BACK THE  SCHOOL SECTION!!

Must say it was very boring to see the leaders riding together so nicely...what happened to duking it out for the win?!

Just because we were riding together doesn't mean we weren't duking it out. This event is only about 40% physical, the rest is all mind games, strategy and mental toughness.

Quite right.

I didn't ride this year, I was managing the race for the eventual 2nd place finisher.

Trust me we were all 'duking it out' and we all gave everything we could to win.

​Monitoring lap times, trying to assess the competitions strengths and weaknesses (not many, it turned out..), developing and covering strategies, and all the while keeping our own athlete motivated, fuelled and healthy. I don't think any of us could have given any more.

I'm proud that we could do it all with a spirit of mutual respect (including a midnight coffee break, bike lube and some marginally insane banter), while never compromising our drive to win. Goes for Dane too, really good guy - formidable competitor.

i know, i know. i was just teasing!! 

Maybe lance needs to cut off the ponytail. that's got to be about 5Watts he's throwing down the drain

i know, i know. i was just teasing!! 

Maybe lance needs to cut off the ponytail. that's got to be about 5Watts he's throwing down the drain

Meurant did say that if Lance did his usual puke at 2 in the morning trick he would personally cut off his pony tail!

I can't believe I'm already thinking about next year...

It's evil.  During the race I was thinking to myself, "ok, I've done solo now, back to a team next year" but by Tuesday morning I was already plotting what to do differently for solo next year!

It's evil.  During the race I was thinking to myself, "ok, I've done solo now, back to a team next year" but by Tuesday morning I was already plotting what to do differently for solo next year!

Go till you blow, and leave some for the ride just before Sunday noon. This sleeping thing between laps is just BS. I was having cold fever at 1 trying to sleep a bit.  :blush: